How does a busy mom find the time to exercise?

Options

Replies

• lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new here. I am currently at 225 pounds and trying to lose around 75 pounds. I am looking for suggestions from other mommies on how to find time to get my exercise in. I am a single parent of three amazing kids under the age of 9. Please help!

I am mother of three - one with special needs and also work full time out of the home. I walk at lunch, I squeeze gym time in between work and home ( seriously, I run in and run out). 30 minute DVD workouts ( Jillian Michaels is great) - I bought a trailer for my bike for my two year old on a yard sale site and pedal around the neighborhood. It's tough and the more I do the more I CAN do. My fitbit helps remind me what I've accomplished for the day - it makes me know that I need to get up. Doing laundry , running the vacuum, running up and down the steps is exercise too! Just keep moving!! You've got this!
  • my_chrystal82
    my_chrystal82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Single mom and I work full time and go to school part time. I exercise in the bathroom at work every time I go. Things likes squats and lunges. I have a small bicycle under my desk that I can pedal on during the day. I do yoga/lift weight after my son goes to bed and I jog every other day and before class. Its hard to fit it in, but if you make it a priority you can do it!

I really liked this post. You have to use those windows in your day!

I'll admit I'm not as ambitious at my desk but use my breaks to power walk around the building 10mins at a time, with stretches, squats, lunges, etc., before I sit back down at my desk. By the time my day is done I've walked 50 minutes and I take the kids on a walk after supper. Helps with digestion and gets them to burn off their energy before bed.
    If your kiddos are younger, have them walk with you to a park or open field. When my son was 2 I managed to lose 50 Ibs just kicking a soccer ball around the field with him before his bath time each night. Helps with their motor skill development too.
  • GetFitNicky
    GetFitNicky Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I pop in a DVD of Leslie Sansone (started with easy ones and my current fave is 30 Day Challenge) and just clear a space of Legos and hot wheels and rainbow loom bands, and just do it. Right there, in front of kids, maybe I have to stop once or twice, but I get 'er done. Sometimes my kids go right on playing, maybe they watch video on iPad, or I let them go nuts on video games...whatever. Plus side, all my kids eventually realized this is something mommy does almost every day--like folding clothes or making breakfast. My two older kids sometimes even try to do with me ever now and again. I'd much rather them SEE mommy exercise than go to all the trouble to shuffle them off and go to a gym...but I am lazy, and working out in bed head hair and mismatched workout clothes (okay, pjs) is what works for me--grin. It's just part of the landscape now to see mom walking, jogging and doing strength exercises in the living room. I say it's a win--free (well, cost of DVD but I started with free Leslie YouTube videos), works (32 lbs later), and best of all it's low impact (I did 30 day shred for awhile and tore a ligament in my knee--so it's in rare rotation now unless I want to do it to push myself once in blue moon). You can do it!! Best,
  • amreadarrens
    amreadarrens Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great. I am in the Venus Factor Program . I lose 11 lbs in the program. I am a single working mom. I have one son, I gained weight when I gave birth to him last May 2003. I found the answer this year. I been searching for so long. I still have to lose more. You can watch their presentation http://bit.ly/1ocaNoB
  • SukiRob
    SukiRob Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    4am start, work out (30 mins) get ready for work, wake kids, breakfast, get them ready for school, leave the house 7:30am - Yawn........
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Go to the Y. Seriously, between the childcare and the monthly kids' night out (date night, peace and quiet time, etc.), it's worth it.

Great for walking. My kids ride scooters when I run sometimes. They keep up that way. The 4 year old is fast on it, and the 8 year old runs now. We also ride bikes. I put the 4 year old in a seat on my bike and the 8 year old rides hers alongside me. I'm trying to lead by example, and that means they exercise, too. Except for the heavy lifting in the gym, they do what we do. Soon, my 8 year old will be lifting as well. We're working on lifts with her with a small weight set at home.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Can't find time, you gotta make it! I second joining the Y, I love the child care option there!!
  • tracy_getsfit
    tracy_getsfit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a singly mom with two kids. I do spend an hour at the gym four -five times a week. I just make sure that they understand that this is part of a healthy life. I also on days we cannot go try to turn things into a workout. We go to the park and I jog laps around while they play. While they are playing at home I do mini workouts. Make it fun for them!
  • JustAnIslandGirl
    JustAnIslandGirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was a toddler I had a neighbor's 12 year old come over and play with her for an hour or so to let me get some housework done. I paid her, but not what I would have to pay the 16 year old to babysit. Better than locking her in a closet! (just kidding!)
  • kms_77
    kms_77 Posts: 7
    Options
    All of my workouts are at home now. In the summer I have the dvd set in the player the night before and I get up before they get out of bed and throw my gear on and off I go. Right now, it's freezing and I find it hard to drag my butt out of bed - but I just literally sat down to add my exercise to my profile when I saw this. So at 10.30pm on a Friday night, I did an Insanity workout! Insane right? lol! But that way I get to focus on me 'and' its good me time! :)
  • inneedofanap
    inneedofanap Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do you have a school with a track nearby? Most school tracks have a fence around them and grass in the middle. Take the kids, grab a big kickball and let them run around and act crazy while you walk the track.
  • JJplus6
    JJplus6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have 5 under age 9, and I know it's NOT always an excuse! My youngest are 4, and even though I no longer have babies, I still have days where I try all day to go on a walk or do my yoga DVDs, and really cannot fit it in. It once took me 2 hours to get through a 15 minute yoga session because of interruptions. So I feel ya!

This summer has been great, because I found it's easier to get exercise in when we're doing it together. Swimming burns a ton of calories... so while the other moms sit by the pool and gossip, I'm in the pool playing with the kids, burning calories and actually having fun -- totally a win-win! What do your kids like to do outside? Mine love kickball -- we got a $6 kickball at Target -- and you can join the kids in a game. Even just take them on a walk around your neighborhood, or if you don't have a great place to walk by your house, drive to a nice park or trail. Ride bikes together if you can (if you need a bike, try Craigslist or a local FB garage sale group).

For indoor stuff, I highly recommend getting a *beginner* yoga DVD (I personally love Rodney Yee's DVDs the best -- try A.M./P.M. Yoga or his Yoga for Beginners, and take your time to learn the poses so you don't hurt yourself), and a kids' yoga DVD (look up Next Generation yoga for kids by Jodi Komitor -- if you have Xfinity On Demand, she has videos there, too). I sometimes do the kids' yoga with them for a few minutes, and then put mine on another tv while they do the rest of theirs. Even my tough-guy 8 year old son loves doing Jodi's yoga because they're so creative and fun.

It's also good for your kids to see you being active -- it sets a good example, and increases their chances of having healthier habits as adults. When my kids asked me why I was suddenly doing yoga and playing with them more, I just told them that I decided I needed to be healthier. I don't ever, ever talk about losing weight -- just "being healthy". (And I have a lot of weight to lose!)

Also, we just joined a fitness center with an indoor pool. We had a chilly day a few days ago, so we used the indoor pool for 2 hours -- an awesome calorie burn, and easy on your body! And it wears the kids out nicely. :)

Swimming and yoga are my favorites because they're low-impact on your joints, you don't have to be super fit to do them well, and they both work your whole body. I've known a lot of very dedicated, but chubby, runners/walkers, but you don't often see dedicated swimmers and yogis who aren't ripped! Also, both can be done with or without your kids, and in any season if you have access to an indoor pool.

Good luck, and please feel free to message me if you want to chat more.
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have friends with the same situation. When working out together we get creative. We have races or we play an active game. Recently we have been using the chicken fat song. Its not the most intense work out but the song is silly and the kids are willing to do it.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through all the posts and my kids are since grown and moved out, but I used to get up before the family like 4ish and get a WO in, which I still do now before work to get it over with in a.m.
    Another think I used to do is run/walk around the soccer field when my daughter was at practice. I used to do the same thing when my other daughter was in singing lessons, strap the running shoes on and run around a nearby neighborhood. I also used to put them on their bikes and I would run, and we'd make it a family thing.
  • kimberlyblindsey
    kimberlyblindsey Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Do you have a school with a track nearby? Most school tracks have a fence around them and grass in the middle. Take the kids, grab a big kickball and let them run around and act crazy while you walk the track.
    And this ^ is brill.
    Lately my daughters been doing bleacher runs with us at the high school and my grandson brings his scooter and rides around the rubber track. We also have him count for us; it keeps him busy, and I think it's important kids are involved so hopefully they practice the same habits growing up.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Pinterest had an amazing collection of body weight exercises you can do for under 30 minutes... You should definitely check those out!!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new here. I am currently at 225 pounds and trying to lose around 75 pounds. I am looking for suggestions from other mommies on how to find time to get my exercise in. I am a single parent of three amazing kids under the age of 9. Please help!

IMHO you can't find the time, you must make it. I have done Jillian Michaels DVDs, strength yoga and lifting at home. I take my kids running with me (daughter runs and little guy in jogger). Also, I do most of my working out over my lunch hour. Do you have any equipment at home or are you starting from scratch? There is great support here for you.

Mom of two (one 10YO and one 3YO)
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Take them to the park - You can google 'playground workouts" and get ideas too - I walk the perimeter of the lot while they play - do step ups on the curb or steps - pull ups on the equipment - etc.

Sign up for these sites (especially in the summer) Kidsskatefree.com and kidsbowlfree.com - both give you free admission for kids under 12 to a bowling alley or skating rink near you - you still have to pay for shoes/skates - (and any adults) but it's still a cheap way to go. In the winter we go skating every Sunday afternoon.

Do workouts when kids are asleep (night or morning)

That's all I have - good luck!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I do a kid physical activity. We go to the beach, park, bowling, swimming pool, something where we're running around. There is a great park nearby with a playground in the middle of a walking track. Score! Most nights after dinner we go for a walk.

When my daughter was little I used to do a half hour of HIIT while she was taking her nap. Then I could do whatever needed doing, and lets face it, something always needs doing. I managed to lose all my pregnancy weight with just 3 or 4 days a week of exercise, and eating less. Then I regained some weight by not sticking to my plans.

Try looking at areas of your routine where you could cut back. Do you cook? Try to do some prep, or when you cook make double portions and freeze some. When my daughter was younger and I wasn't getting as much sleep every Saturday I used to do all my hard vegetable prep, and make enough salad for a few days. I'd sautee some onions, and portion them out with different veggie combinations for soups. The whole process would take about an hour, but would save me from doing much besides popping things in the crockpot when I need an easy day. I use my food processor for chopping a LOT. I'll cook about 3 meals during the week, and we'll take them for lunches. The other days are quick things like eggs, rotisserie chicken, or pasta.

During the week try to cut down on as many things as possible. That was the only way for me to make time to exercise.

And beyond that, diet is waaaaay more important than exercise for weightloss.

Also, depending on how old your kids are, there is no reason why they can't entertain themselves for a half hour while you get some exercise in.
  • Crystlee80
    Crystlee80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a mommy of 4 all under the age of 5. I also work fulltime. I have my mother who watches them for me but I have been getting up 2 hours earlier everyday so I can go to the gym and workout for at least an hour. I guess I'm lucky I have her but if not I think I would find someone to help come over and watch them or take them with me since my gym offer child care. It can be done just takes some extra effort. Also with meals it's been hard but I I prep and make my own dinners and lunches aswell as make a separate dinner for my husband and kids. All this keeps be very busy I won't lie but its been worth it. Wishing you the best of luck and keep logging it makes you accountable.