eminent loss

Options
Not a diet or exercise related post, im just feeling so intensely sad over having to make the descision to euthanize my dog. Shes a boxer and is the now 11 year old " puppy" from our first litter. Her mom and dad are both gone now. She will be the fifth dog ive had to make the heartwrenching descision of ending her life. I so wanted her to just pass peacefully at home but now know it wont be in her best interest to wait it out. I know were all going to go one way or another and theres not a good or better way. And shes had a great life and all,but it just sucks ,she has a mammary cancer that has spread like wildfire on top of a heart condition that has keep us from being able to do surgery. And this all possibly could have been avoided if id had her SPAYED. So please if anyone reading this has a female puppy dont wait to have her spayed do it as early as possible ,google it look up how much it increases their risk for not only this but also pyometra which is a life threating infection of the uterus. She had that 8 months ago and was saved with emergency surgery. Our pets look to us to take care of them and I just feel like a failed her on this, my male boxer is nuetered so i just figured that was all i needed to do to keep her from getting pregnant but if their not going to be bred its so important to spay. Sorry if this is a downer but i need to get the message out.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I understand. I had a cat with severe liver cancer who was elderly and would not have survived treatment. We kept her as long as she was eating and playing and appeared to have a good quality of life, and then took her to be put to sleep the moment that was not the case. I always wondered if my smoking gave her cancer. It's heartbreaking to lose a pet, especially in ways that you feel could be your fault. But none of that matters now.

What matters is that you are left to be the judge of where to place the line between good quality of life, and bad.I can only recommend the guideline we used for my cat: as long as she's eating, playing, not in pain, and appears happy, then her quality of life is good, and she deserves to enjoy it as long as she can. You know her. You'll know when she starts acting "off," and that will be the time to take her on her last walk.

*hugs*
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    So very sorry to read these ........

I've had quite a few pets over the last 40+ years ...... it's a shame their life span isn't longer ....... what helps me most is knowing I did the best I could to give them a happy life :heart:
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts,hugs. Well see what the weekend brings.
  • jkbarrack
    jkbarrack Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear this. I completely understand you pain. I recently lost my loving African Grey Parrot that I had for 20 years.

Your words are on spaying may help someone avoid having to go through the pain. Thank you.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My Georgia girl was put to sleep today. She hung in there longer than we expected but over the weekend the suffering became apparent. Shes at peace now.
  • tiffanyagee2003
    Options
    Sorry for your loss , but glad she is now pain free.