Whats up with the people who have Asthma

Options
Hey Folks,

So I have asthma and I want to start running. I talked to my Dr about it and she told me I should take Hit my inhailer about 20 min before I start my "run" and yes I am putting that in quotes because I am heavy and I don't really "run" it is like a fast walk to most people but I guess I am still moving.

My Question is... When I lose weight will the exersize induced attacks get better? Also Will my lung compacity get better? Or because I have asthma I am Up A Creek... So to speek.

I love exersizing... I actually love running but like 15 min into my run I feel like I am going to die....

Week 1 Day 1 of couch to 5 k done... I am not going for speed just stamina I guess. Maybe I just was going to fast... I don't know.

Any suggestions for being able to run would be wonderful.

Peace
Catch~

Replies

• jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    for me it has gotten easier as I have lost weight to run but it has not affected my asthma. mine is not exercised induced though. so I am not sure. I feel like my asthma is under control and I rarely use my rescue inhaler. I can understand using it before you workout becuase "what is the harm" ... if it prevents an attack I would just take two puffs before I went to the gym. Sometimes I take a couple if I know I am going to do a lot of cardio just becuase I would rather prevent an attack than have one
  • feralkitten1010
    feralkitten1010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The more cardio I do, the less I have to use my medications. I actually went an entire year without an inhaler or daily med. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but my asthma is induced by environment. That's one of my ultimate goals, to get back off the meds. Best of luck to you! :smile:
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I am a runner with asthma and I also take 2 puffs about 15 min before my run...When I first started running I also thought I was going to die. I am not sure how much of it was my asthma and how much of it was I was just horribly out of shape and pushing too hard too fast, but probably a combo of both.

Reading about running and asthma, doctors way back in the day used to tell people that exercise was good for their asthma b/c it strengthened the diaphragm and increased lung capacity. I think this has some truth to it b/c I feel way better when I have been consistently running and I don't get winded as easily.

I think the key is make sure you have your inhaler and maybe run with a HR monitor to make help you gauge your fitness level and a good speed for you (not too fast but pushing yourself)...and it may be a brisk walk at first. But as your cardiovascular system strengthens, you will find that you can go faster and faster at a targeted HR %. From my readings, this can take up to 6 months to become "aerobically fit" so be patient and don't go too fast and trigger an episode.
  • Catchphrase33
    Catchphrase33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info. I live in Wisconsin so another issue I will eventually have (hopefully not to soon This past winter was LOOOONNNGGGG) is cold and that also gives me problems. Any Suggestions for that?
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It will get easier but likely never go away. I take two puffs before I head out and carry it with me on long races. It is always worse for me in the warm months.... Especially when my allergies are high. That said I have ran several half marathons without issue. Hang in there and be safe.
  • quietcoral
    quietcoral Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    When I am not running and get back into running I have exercise induced asthma, but I definitely notice that the more in shape I am the less of an issue it is. Right now, I haven't hardly had an issue in probably a year. I believe the better in shape you're in the less reactive your lungs are to triggers. That's just my theory though from my own experience!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I can promise you - starting to walk or run will really help your asthma. And your entire cardiovascular system. But I must state up front - you have to start slow, and it may take a long time. The worst part is beating yourself up about it when you work yourself into an attack.

I have severe asthma, and I started 5 years ago, just walking at 2.7mph. That's all I could manage safely without relying on my inhaler. I kept it by my side at all times. It took a long long time for me to get up to an hour a day at 4mph, and I stayed there, not wanting to push my lungs any further. My heartrate still sat at 82bpm. This past Christmas, a friend of mine challenged me that I could run a mile as a kid - I couldn't... I sat out all the fitness tests, thanks to a nebulizer in the nurse's office. I had never run more than 100m. So I started trying to jog/run. This past Thursday, I made it 2.5 miles at 5.0mph. It's not much, and I'm slow and ungraceful, but it was amazing. I went to the doctor on July 1st for my physical... my heartrate dropped to 55bpm in just 6 months.

I very rarely use my rescue inhaler. I do, however, rely on Advair, my allergist cussed out ExpresScripts to make them cover it for me, because the medications that they DID cover, using them instead dropped my lung function by 10% in 3 months. Yeah, NO. I also swear by Allegra OTC to control my allergic triggers. I have to keep my house clean, and spring is miserable. But - I have come so far, and I have so far to go. :)

CAVEATS:

A) All of this is in a gym setting...I don't live in an area very conducive to working out outside.
    B) I never set foot in a gym until my weight dropped to 113 pounds. I'm 5'9". So, a lot of my work was done rebuilding my entire physical structure, so not a common experience.
    C) I still rely on a nebulizer from time to time, usually due to illness. However, the cold I got a few weeks ago is the first one in years and years I've not needed to use it. I blame the jogging. :D
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I technically have asthma, but I swam regularly for 6 - 18 and haven't had to use my inhaler at all since I was about 14. In my experience, it does improve but it takes a LOT of time.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I just moved from Virginia so I know the cold as well...and it really made my chest ache. I bought a gator mask...or they make masks just for runners that are breathable to help hold in the moisture....on long runs they feel kinda icky b/c they get all soggy.