Too Fat To Run?!?!

Options
I'm 5ft 7in female and i weigh 221 pounds. I started C25K three weeks ago and have been having some shin pain. My doc sent me to get xrays and there are no fractures. I have good shoes that were fitted in a running store. I honestly have not been doing stretching like i should afterwards so i kind of think this is my problem. i asked the physical therapist today that i work with to maybe show me some stretches to help and he did. after showing me this stretches he tells me in a hushed voice that i'm really still too heavy to run. i don't know how to react to this. i just said ok and would stick to the stationary bike for now. BUT I WANT TO RUN! i love it! it's hard and drives me to push myself and i feel like i could take on the world when i'm through. has anyone ever been told to wait to run until you weigh less to run? and if so, how much should i weigh???

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and started running at over 230 pounds, so I kind of doubt you're too heavy. If you're really concerned, you can walk briskly to build your stamina. I've a few people on this site do that until they felt they couldn't walk any faster and just had to run. You can also do the run a bit then walk a bit routine, and slowly increase your running intervals. The shin pains sound like classic shin splits. Keep up the stretches, particularly after walking/running.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I got them to., and they eventually went away. When you start getting them, start to walk.. or call it a day.
    When you get more and more used to running it should stop.

on another note, you may want to try to do some stretching before running and after running.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    That guy is full of poop. I'm 5"4 and 198 and I just started running and only had shin splints they day I forgot my sneaks and bout an el cheapo pair at kmart. I'm also doing the c25k. Too fat to run... What a crock. Tell that guy to kiss your *kitten*.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I call BS on that. I have done two half marathons while weighing well over 200 lbs. and too many 5k's to count.

It sounds like you are doing everything right - good shoes, checking with your Dr., etc. You weren't running... and now you are. Your shins need to catch up. I like the idea of C25K, but I think for some people it moves forward too quickly. Don't ever feel bad about repeating a week. And I find cross training is helpful. Biking, swimming, even Zumba. A little strength training: squats, lunges, etc. Your muscles will get stronger. Slow and steady.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    you may want to try to do some stretching before running

Just a head's up - it is not good to stretch cold muscles. Stretch AFTER running, not before.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    no you are not to heavy to run!! if you want to run then run! tho you may have to pay careful attention to your form for awhile,try to take smaller steps,so that your leading foot is landing right under you and not reaching out in front of you,,this should help with the shin splints,also,I can usually feel a splint coming on,if I do I ice it right away for 20 minutes or so and they are usually gone by the next AM..also keep it slow for now,,I used to say I was "running" but I was really doing more of a zombie jog shufle thing..lol
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That's completely rude and incorrect. I started running at almost 300 lbs. Granted, I ran (and still run) very very very slowly, but I still run. As long as you don't have joint pain and can manage your shin splints, keep it up. :flowerforyou:
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' 0" and started running at 280+ pounds. I started very slow and for my first run was all of 10 minutes. I increased my runs 1 minute at a time until I was doing 30 minutes.
    You can do it - don't listen to the PT - but do the stretching after you run.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Not only was I told that I'm too heavy to run, I was told it was bad for me (I have a bad hip). I'm frustrated because according to this medical professionally, I'm allowed to do yoga, some body-weight exercises and gentle walking. She wasn't happy when I said I was taking a pole dancing class. When I talked about lifting, I was read the riot act (by one of the other people at her office) about how terrible lifting is.

::sigh::

While they may know what they're talking about, you can't let what they say run your life. I'm choosing to FOCUS on the things they suggested, while throwing in a few things I want to try here and there. Hopefully as I lose weight, my hip will feel better and I can work on the things I've always wanted to try.

Best of luck!!
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Nonsense. I started running at 230lb (I'm about 5'9", maybe a bit more).

Shin splints are extremely common to new runners. Running form is often the culprit, but it also can just be a matter of the body adjusting. When I started marathon training this year, I occasionally would get them again after years of not having them.
  • Kelkath72
    Kelkath72 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks all. when i say "run" i'm not all out running but more of moving quicker than my brisk walking. i like the "zombie jog shuffle" reference. i do it on monday, wednesday and fridays. on tuesday, thursday and saturday i ride the stationary bike. sundays i do nothing but go to church, come home, eat, and nap...lol! guess i do need to add some weights somewhere in there. i kinda figured he was full of crap so i'm gonna keep going. i probably will do weeks over on the app until i build up a little more stamina and i may skip my run today and start over on monday but, i'm NOT gonna quit. he made me mad so now i HAVE to do it just to prove him wrong.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    You could still run a bit, but stop when if it hurts. Remember to do foot circles (use your big toe to draw circles in the air) and do that through the day. Stretch after really well. But if you're recommended to stop... you might want to be careful.

Yes running can be harder when you have more weight, but people do it... but make sure you do it carefully!

I have to admit I found a noticeable difference in running when I am the way I am now and when I was just 20 pounds heavier.
  • Vivianna777
    Vivianna777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'9 and 212 lbs and I run, and was running at a higher weight than this. IMHO, he should have kept his mouth shut!

In my experience with shin splints I was told (and find helpful) to shorten the length of my strides. When I get going and feeling really good, I tend to extend my stride length, which leaves me with shin splints.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I think if you love running and it makes you feel good then you should continue to do it!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Re: stretching before running... This may not be necessary as you're just starting C25K so there's a substatial warm up with walking for 5 minutes first. However, if you decide to try it, make sure you do dynamic stretches, not static stretches. Here's a good routine from Runners World

http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/a-dynamic-routine?page=single

Shin splints are pretty common, especially for new runners. If it didn't happen right away, the problem may be with the program where in the 3rd week you go from running 90 seconds at a time to 3 minute at a time. That might not seem like much but as it's a 100% increase, that's actually kind of a lot. (Full disclosure, this coming from an admited non-fan of C25k - it's a fine program and has worked for plenty of people, I just think the progressions are a little unrealistic for some people which can be discouraging)

What you could try to do, once you've recovered from the shin spints, is a more gradual increase in your running. So if you're running 90 seconds ok, try increasing to 2 minutes, then 2.5 minutes, etc. As far as walking times in between, I like sticking with at least a minute - somewhat because that's what it took for me to fully get my breath back. LOL!

Best of luck to you!
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Shin splints can be caused by how you land your feet while running. Focus on landing on your mid or fore foot NOT on your heel. I use to get shin splints but after changing to more minimalist shoes (no big puffy padded soles or heels) and focusing on shorter steps where I land mid foot I quit getting them. Now I only get them when I try to run FAST and let my form get sloppy.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    In for answers! I started c25k as well. Completed week one (after repeating the first couple of days since I couldn't run the full 8 mins required) Shin pain was horrible. Have taken a week off before tackling wk 2. I am 249 5'10"
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 7in female and i weigh 221 pounds. I started C25K three weeks ago and have been having some shin pain. My doc sent me to get xrays and there are no fractures. I have good shoes that were fitted in a running store. I honestly have not been doing stretching like i should afterwards so i kind of think this is my problem. i asked the physical therapist today that i work with to maybe show me some stretches to help and he did. after showing me this stretches he tells me in a hushed voice that i'm really still too heavy to run. i don't know how to react to this. i just said ok and would stick to the stationary bike for now. BUT I WANT TO RUN! i love it! it's hard and drives me to push myself and i feel like i could take on the world when i'm through. has anyone ever been told to wait to run until you weigh less to run? and if so, how much should i weigh???

You aren't too heavy to run; shin pain is common for folks starting out. They can last for 2-3 months and then come back briefly. Some people have them longer then 3 months; maybe going to a different PT would be a good idea. The one I use is a great motivator. "Keep moving" is his mantra.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You are not too heavy to run. However the rate of increase from walking to running may be too fast for your body to adjust. Slow down, repeat the weeks, don't increase the minutes running as quickly as the program wants you too. Do your stretching.

Most injuries in new runners are "too much" " too fast". Which seems ridiculous to us when we are starting because we start off so slow!

Same thing happened to me, but injury was to my knee, and I was running 1.3 miles at a time. My DOC told me to stop running--I didn't. Instead I got a personal trainer and explained the situation. Last month (9 months after being told I couldn't run for exercise and my internist told me to walk instead) I ran a half marathon.

Slow down and ease more slowly into it. Read my profile--it has a link to ThickMcRunFast's "So you are new to running" post which is THE BEST information for new runners I have seen.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    5'2" and weigh 261. I started walk/jog intervals at 275. Doing C25K. Don't listen to what the naysayers spout. Not all medical personnel know as much as they like to profess. I worked in that field. Trust me on that one. Listen to your body. Sounds like you just need to slow down a bit and let it come naturally. Don't push too hard. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • centaurizoe
    centaurizoe Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Sounds like runner's knee, which is really common for beginners because their form isn't always the greatest. I didn't run for four months and went for a run the other day and woke up with runner's knee. It sucked. I notice when I run up hill it's worse, remember when running up-hill you need to lift your legs up higher. Kick your own *kitten* basically :P It gets a lot easier! I am not a pro, but I enjoy running now, I just don't push myself as hard.