Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    There is jealousy all around... :laugh:
  • mlcdz
    mlcdz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Family may worry if I get too thin but I'll handle that differently by telling them, "I'm being careful and I know what I'm doing, but thanks for your concern."

Great answer! Thanks for the verbiage.

& to the OP, congrats on your hard work and success. You're an inspiration - as are many other posters on this site.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    We've all dealt with it. Every time I get sick, my mom says it's because I don't eat enough.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Trying to find the jealousy in this scenario...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think in a lot of cases people just aren't used to seeing you thinner. I got those comments at first but now the same people tell me I look great and nothing has changed. They just need a chance to get used to the new you.

Either that or they're just rude, in which case, who cares what they think?
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I usually just give them something a little more to be jealous about. I usually come back with comments like "shopping for clothes is so fun now, so many more sexy styles I can fit in and my sex life is so great now! My boyfriend/husband can't keep his hands off me! Great sex is definitely better than cheesecake. ...just sayin! ....no offense. :)"

That usually shuts them up, if they wanna be jealous I'll give them something to be jealous about. They're the one with the weight issue not you.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I once lost about 30lb over the summer in college and when I got back, several people asked me if I had cut my hair. They knew something was different. :laugh:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had a close friend drunkenly ask me to stop dieting before I got smaller than her. :drinker:

I think some of it's jealousy, but I also think that some people are just so used to you at a certain size that they lose perspective when you lose weight and think you're smaller than you really are. Kind of like seeing you in a fun house mirror.

In my experience, it took about a year before people got used to the "new" me and stopped thinking that I was going to waste away.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Trying to find the jealousy in this scenario...

Goodi point, I failed to mention in my own post that I don't feel that it is jealousy. I feel that it is that they just really don't know what to say.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've been told I need to "eat a cracker". I just laugh and say thanks. My whole family is fat, and they are worried that I'll have a heart attack or something from running. I just tell them I'm worried about their heart attacks from obesity. Usually shuts them up.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    God that makes me mad!

Just ignore it. Or say, "You know there is a website that helps me track my weight and nutrients. You want me to send you the link?"
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yep. I had a close friend drunkenly ask me to stop dieting before I got smaller than her. :drinker:

I think some of it's jealousy, but I also think that some people are just so used to you at a certain size that they lose perspective when you lose weight and think you're smaller than you really are. Kind of like seeing you in a fun house mirror.

In my experience, it took about a year before people got used to the "new" me and stopped thinking that I was going to waste away.

She asked you to stop because she didn't want to become the "Fat friend"
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Why do people assume so often that everything is motivated by jealousy?

While their comments are weird and out of line, they don't seem jealous to me at all. They might be, of course, but nothing in your OP indicates that. Is it just the fact that they are female? If a male said it, would you assume he was jealous?
  • DKMChristin
    DKMChristin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey in March....and though I haven't lost a remarkable amount, I am currently down 24 lbs. I've needed to get into better shape for years now, and while I do admit my wedding next month was the ultimate driving factor to get me to really commit to a healthier lifestyle, it's something that I know I can continue long after I say "I do".

One of my friends commented a few weeks back that they could tell I lost weight for the wedding, and then made some comment in regards to how after the wedding they are sure I will go back to my old self. I'm assuming she meant I'll gain the weight back but either way it seemed like more of a put down then the compliment she made it seem like she was trying to pay me.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    don't let them bother you doll! I have a chick here at work who is always telling me she's losing weight.. and inches and all that jazz and it always seems to come out after she hears someone compliment me on what I'm doing. She eats crappy, drinks sugar all day and doesnt move. I would love to be a support system for her.. I would LOVE to workout with her.. I would love to see her succeed, but instead she lies about it and rains on my parade..

Long story short.. there will always be these types of people out there... Shake it off and do you!

Congrats!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Why do people assume so often that everything is motivated by jealousy?

While their comments are weird and out of line, they don't seem jealous to me at all. They might be, of course, but nothing in your OP indicates that. Is it just the fact that they are female? If a male said it, would you assume he was jealous?

No, then it would be because men only like curvy women.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    When I was at 180lbs, my most fit weight, people would tell me I looked sick...I didn't...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Yep.....even to the point of name calling!!

Used to bother me, now I just let it go!! I do me, you do you attitude!! :bigsmile: