I need a easy workout that I can do despite being in pain

Options
Hi there. I have a chronic pain condition that really makes exercising hard. Does anyone have an easy or simple workout that I could maybe try? My pain is mostly in my abdomen and lower back. Thank you!

Replies

• DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have access to a gym or YMCA or something like that, but water aerobics is good for that. I went to a water aerobics class with my husband's grandma once and I thought it was pretty fun. I would do that if I joined a YMCA, but I was just there on a guest pass. I think most YMCA's that have a pool offer water aerobics classes. I'm not sure what you could do at home though.
  • HeatherCashell
    HeatherCashell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Swimming!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Walking.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    walking has done more for me at this point than any other exercise - i don't mean walking at full speed, but enough to warm you up and raise your breathing some. can you do that?
  • jnetholmer
    jnetholmer Posts: 30
    Options
    Walking ans swimming are great and low key ways to work out. There is also a video series with walking...its by Leslie Sansone. It could work if you can't get out to walk. They are low impact and still keep you entertained.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    dancing (gentle aerobics) helps me warm up. Hope you feel better soon.
  • anewstart1011
    anewstart1011 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    walk and dance
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and disk disease and I walk. By the end of 2 miles I am starting to hurt but I can get that far. As the above poster says... water. Water walking, water aerobics, swimming, even just treading water in the deep end is good for you. I hope you can find something that helps you. Unfortunately for me our pool closed for the next year for renos.
    Good luck
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you suffer with pain, Chronic Pain is debilitating and tiring. :flowerforyou: It is great that you are looking to incorporate a regular exercise programme into your life as in the long run your pain levels will hopefully decrease and of course there are so many advantages to having strong muscles to counteract stress and strain on your joints.

I have battled with RSD since 1997 and Lupus since diagnosis in 2013 and found the best benefit from walking. There is little chance to hurt yourself doing this activity and as time goes on you can add in strength training and endurance type activities to your walks. For example, I initially started street, park walking....making each time longer and longer, that got a bit boring so started doing walks around parks in different areas then finally onto easy Bushwalking (I'm in Australia, maybe this is called something different in America).

After the easy Bushwalking type stuff got a bit boring we added to the length and difficulty of the terrain and till last year with the Lupus thing we were actually doing the odd Mountain Climb. :grumble:

Now we have had to rethink the exercise strategy and bought in swimming (not my personal fav. but hey it may be for you). There is always gym type activities, although you might find ones that focus on more gentle type things such as Pilates or Yoga more appropriate. I do have a home programme of strength exercises using body weight (have a look a use your body a your home gym on Youtube....or something along those lines) also resistance bands are awesome if you don't have alot of room to play with.

Whatever you do, however small with exercise is awesome. Progression and reduction of pain (maybe a little worse in the beginning) is your reward.

My very best wishes for your success.

Karen
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic pain as well. I've found that walking and swimming are the absolute best (and easiest) exercises to get my heart pumping and body moving. They are gentle on the body because they are low impact (as long as you don't have too much pain in your legs!)
  • ElizabethIrish
    ElizabethIrish Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Walking is good like most others have said. I nice alternative is seated or chair exercizes. There are several tapes and youtube videos and these are suitable for every fitness level and for those with joint and back pain.