Calling all teachers. . . ..

Options
hello all! just thought i'd give a shout out to all my fellow teachers out there. . ..

1. so when ya starting? 2. what grade/grades/subject/subjects ya teach? 3. and are you ready to go back?

i'll start lol since i started the thread:laugh:

1. first day for kids tomorrow, 2. teaching 5th grade, reading, language arts, and social studies and 3. NO NO NO!! summer was too short and i'm scared after the horror stories i've heard about this class but i'm determined not to judge, i'm just gonna go in there with my "fear of god" voice and whip those little puppies into shape! have a great year everyone!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    hello all! just thought i'd give a shout out to all my fellow teachers out there. . ..

1. so when ya starting? 2. what grade/grades/subject/subjects ya teach? 3. and are you ready to go back?

1. first day for kids tomorrow, 2. teaching 5th grade, reading, language arts, and social studies and 3. NO NO NO!! summer was too short and i'm scared after the horror stories i've heard about this class but i'm determined not to judge, i'm just gonna go in there with my "fear of god" voice and whip those little puppies into shape! have a great year everyone!! :flowerforyou:
  • sseavy82
    sseavy82 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi fellow teacher! I start tomorrow with just a staff picnic. We then get 3 days for prep before kids show up. I'm not ready, but my big worry is just starting this great workout and dieting. I have such a hard time at school. I'm making a plan now so that I have good snacks ready. I just received the Tony Horton 10 minute trainer and it kicked my butt. I did two workouts and walked four miles today. I have been a walker, but didn't seem to be making any progress. The 10 day food plan is easy to follow. I'm hoping that will get me going in the right direction. I come home from school so tired and have an 1 1/2 hr drive on top of everything else. Stinks. I thought I could at least work out for 10 minutes on my really tired days.

Have a great year. I also teach reading but I have 7th graders.
  • karmalyn
    Options
    Last Wednesday was my first day. I have a great class of 3rd graders and I'm very thankful for that! :smile:

Doing my best to pack a lunch so I won't eat the fattening school food. Any good ideas for lunches that you don't get tired of eating at school?

Good luck with your new classes!:happy:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    well... i'm not officially a teacher yet, but i am doing a year-long internship/student teaching program with my school. It's called PDS (Professional Development School) and there are different schools located across Illinois that are affiliated with my university (Illinois State). Basically, the first semester I am doing my last semester of coursework 2 days a week with the other interns in a room in our district. Then the other three days I am interning and taking over some responsibility in the classroom. Second semester, I will be in the same classroom but doing my actual student teaching!

This week we have our coursework and are helping our mentor teacher set up their room. Next week we are shadowing our mentor teachers to district/building retreats and meetings; we also get to participate in the meet the teacher night the day before school starts! I am placed in a 4th grade classroom and am so excited to get started!!! I know this doesn't actually count towards this thread because i don't have my degree yet, but i do have a name plate!!! haha

any tips are welcome for me and my next year!
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well, I am a homeschool teacher Ü I have 2 girls, have always homeschooled and they are starting 9th and 6th grades this year...SO, I am teaching ALL subjects for 2 grades ÜÜ
    Not the same as being in a classroom setting....I can wear my jammies to work ÜÜ
    Blessings!
    Kathey
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    Last Wednesday was my first day. I have a great class of 3rd graders and I'm very thankful for that! :smile:

Doing my best to pack a lunch so I won't eat the fattening school food. Any good ideas for lunches that you don't get tired of eating at school?

If you have a microwave/fridge available to you, make a double dinner the night before and bring leftovers!! I like making salads and bringing along some cottage cheese for some protein. I also have found if i eat a mid-morning snack (some almonds, a protein bar) I am less likely to feel too famished by lunchtime.
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Let me get in with this: My in-service week started yesterday (I had one week off after summer school :sad: )

I teach 7th grade through post secondary English to incarcerated youth felons.
    Am I ready? Well, I teach all boys, and I have three boys at home. I THOUGHT my week off would be a place to find some peace. NOT. I just decided I will have to find peace where I can find it (lately, the GYM:love::love: ). So I guess I am ready!!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Hey all! Teacher here. I start on September 2nd. I teach K-6 Music at two elementary schools. I'm mixed about going back..excited and a little sad that summer is almost over already! *sigh* I'm going to the Teacher's Store tomorrow to start getting things for my classrooms. It's starting to really hit me now!
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am not exactly a teacher either. official title is Child care educator....
    I am with grade school students before and after class
    First day Sept 2
    First day with the children will be Sept 3 and I am so excited to meet them already!!:smile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! Poor POOR teachers!!!

One year I sent my son's teacher for the first day of school a huge 300 bundle of pencils with a "Happy year!" note on it. My son loves to sharpen pencils...which kid doesn't??? She loved it! LOL

I wrote "Happy Year" since "Good luck with that!" just seemed to say to much. :laugh:
  • sophialittle
    Options
    Hi fellow teacher! I start tomorrow with just a staff picnic. We then get 3 days for prep before kids show up. I'm not ready, but my big worry is just starting this great workout and dieting. I have such a hard time at school. I'm making a plan now so that I have good snacks ready. I just received the Tony Horton 10 minute trainer and it kicked my butt. I did two workouts and walked four miles today. I have been a walker, but didn't seem to be making any progress. The 10 day food plan is easy to follow. I'm hoping that will get me going in the right direction. I come home from school so tired and have an 1 1/2 hr drive on top of everything else. Stinks. I thought I could at least work out for 10 minutes on my really tired days.

Have a great year. I also teach reading but I have 7th graders.

wow. . . 3 days of prep before the kids, huh? yeah, we only had one day and the whole morning was meetings! i survived today . . .. we'll see how tomorrow goes down! good luck with the workout and dieting and your school year!:flowerforyou:
  • sophialittle
    Options

glad that you're having a great group! i hope i'll be saying the same by the time the newness wears off:laugh: i do the michelena's lean gourment dinner things a lot. i know some people might frown on those because they're high in carbs, but they seemed to work well for me last year. i just never have time to make stuff to pack so it's easy to grab those from the freezer!:laugh: i also do little prep things ahead of time, like tonight i had a cookout so i bagged up the leftover veggies into littlelunch baggies to take the next couple of days. i also buy fruits to take that i don't have to cut or peel or anything ahead of time, like taking bananas and strawberries. have a good year!:flowerforyou:
  • sophialittle
    Options
    well... i'm not officially a teacher yet, but i am doing a year-long internship/student teaching program with my school. It's called PDS (Professional Development School) and there are different schools located across Illinois that are affiliated with my university (Illinois State). Basically, the first semester I am doing my last semester of coursework 2 days a week with the other interns in a room in our district. Then the other three days I am interning and taking over some responsibility in the classroom. Second semester, I will be in the same classroom but doing my actual student teaching!

This week we have our coursework and are helping our mentor teacher set up their room. Next week we are shadowing our mentor teachers to district/building retreats and meetings; we also get to participate in the meet the teacher night the day before school starts! I am placed in a 4th grade classroom and am so excited to get started!!! I know this doesn't actually count towards this thread because i don't have my degree yet, but i do have a name plate!!! haha

any tips are welcome for me and my next year!

oooohhhhh. . . . that sooooooo counts! i remember those student teaching days:grumble: haha i'm just being dramatic! i'm just starting my third year teaching! lol:laugh: good luck with your student teaching! and my advice would be you'd rather be strict and fair than nice and not respected :wink:
  • sophialittle
    Options
    Well, I am a homeschool teacher Ü I have 2 girls, have always homeschooled and they are starting 9th and 6th grades this year...SO, I am teaching ALL subjects for 2 grades ÜÜ
    Not the same as being in a classroom setting....I can wear my jammies to work ÜÜ
    Blessings!
    Kathey

i helped with some homeschooling a few summers back. . . wow, talk bout some AWESOME curriculum resources! wish i had some of those in my classroom! good luck with your two this year as well! p.s. we can wear jammies on special occasions :laugh: :laugh:
  • sophialittle
    Options

Let me get in with this: My in-service week started yesterday (I had one week off after summer school :sad: )

I teach 7th grade through post secondary English to incarcerated youth felons.
    Am I ready? Well, I teach all boys, and I have three boys at home. I THOUGHT my week off would be a place to find some peace. NOT. I just decided I will have to find peace where I can find it (lately, the GYM:love::love: ). So I guess I am ready!!

hahahaha you can't win for losing! lol good luck to ya! i would guess a tough but rewarding position you are in! good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • sophialittle
    Options
    Hey all! Teacher here. I start on September 2nd. I teach K-6 Music at two elementary schools. I'm mixed about going back..excited and a little sad that summer is almost over already! *sigh* I'm going to the Teacher's Store tomorrow to start getting things for my classrooms. It's starting to really hit me now!

i'm so jealous. . . sept 2!
    yup, those teacher store visits are a slap in the face back to reality, huh? :laugh: best of luck to ya!:flowerforyou:
  • sophialittle
    Options
    I am not exactly a teacher either. official title is Child care educator....
    I am with grade school students before and after class
    First day Sept 2
    First day with the children will be Sept 3 and I am so excited to meet them already!!:smile:

oh that still counts for something! good luck:flowerforyou:
  • sophialittle
    Options
    OMG!!! Poor POOR teachers!!!

One year I sent my son's teacher for the first day of school a huge 300 bundle of pencils with a "Happy year!" note on it. My son loves to sharpen pencils...which kid doesn't??? She loved it! LOL

I wrote "Happy Year" since "Good luck with that!" just seemed to say to much. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: