when you log food

Options
hi, i was wondering when you log your food so you even log the mayo,mustard and so on? the ladies in my water aerobics class said you have to log every single thing or it cheating and i don't really see how. so i just thought id get some more feed back. thanks!

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yes. Some condiments can carry quite a bit of calories, sugars, sodium, etc.
  • CarmenMSU
    CarmenMSU Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi-

Yes I log everything, all of those calories add up. :smile:
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yup salad dressings can be 50, 100 cals depending on which ones and how much !
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a serving of mayo is like 100 calories so it can really skew your amounts if you don't add it in there.

Fun fact: Regular yellow mustard has ZERO calories. I still track it though :)
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    if it penetrates the pie hole put it in the program. log everything. Even stuff that is Zero
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    Yes, almost everything has some type of calories in it... so it can really mess up your counting.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If I do something minor, like a tiny squirt of mustard in a recipe...no. But, mayo and salad dressings are high in calories/fat for just a teeny tiny amount! So, yes, log them.
  • Pattilynne
    Options
    yes, you have to log everything, those little things add up,
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    I normally do, but mustard is one that every once in a while I just seem to forget. But stuff like ketchup, mayo, etc all has calories and should be tracked!
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    Yes I do. Especially mustard, mayo, ketchup, salad dressings, salt... you have no idea... i mean the way those calories add up is scary. I didn't know that I was eating like 100 calories of mayo + mustard in 1 sandwich! :noway:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Especially mustard, mayo, ketchup, salad dressings, salt... you have no idea... i mean the way those calories add up is scary. I didn't know that I was eating like 100 calories of mayo + mustard in 1 sandwich! :noway:

If it's yellow mustard, then that's not the culprit for extra calories as yellow mustard is calorie free.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I measure and log everything, down to the 1/8 tsp of whatever spice I might add to whatever dish.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I log everything even if just a tiny tiny amount.
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options

If it's yellow mustard, then that's not the culprit for extra calories as yellow mustard is calorie free.

I know mustard is pretty low it calories, the one I bought has 16.2 kcal / 10g but I love mustard + mayo... especially mayo (don't like non-fat mayo) which contains crazy amount of calories. :grumble:
  • JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i post everything including seasonings; not only calories can be affected but the amount of sodium or other values that you may be tracking. Now my measurements when cooking are made by eying typically so I may not be 100% but I am probably pretty close most of the time.

Good luck!
  • semiquaver
    Options
    This is your diary, do what you want to do.

Me? I log everything so i know I am under my allowance. But then i may get the measurenments slighty wrong (2/3 cup, etcetc) anyway so i don't loose sleep over every little low cal food.

Just keep it fun and don't get bogged down with minor things.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I try to log as much of it as possible--mayo has a lot of calories in a tablespoon for example and most restaurants give you 2-3x that amount so yes it affects what you consume.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    I don't log every single thing. I do log condiments like mayo or ranch...not usually mustard. I log any fruit I eat...but not all vegies. I am always aware of it and know how many calories it is and will add it in my head. My computer is very slow and adding every single thing would take forever-lol.