Exercise & daily chores?

Options
When im adding exercise i add just exercise so my daily walk around the park, my 30 mins on the wii etc. But i dont add things that i do normally like the walk to drop the kids to school (its only over the road) or when i spend my day doing the house work or walking around the supermarket doing my weekly shop.
But ive noticed a few of my friends add these things to their exercise page.... so my question is should i be adding these or not? I already struggle to eat my "exercise calories" some days so would just be adding more.

just a bit confused??

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It depends on your settings. If you are set to sedentary, then you could add them. My guess in that your activity level is setbto something more active, so these things are factored into you base calorie amount.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Well I don't add them because I feel its not planned exercise - its just housework that I do every day/week - it's not going to make me be able to eat more because I do the housework anyway - its not something that I've added to my life style :):flowerforyou:
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I don't add those things - I think of them as a bonus, and they cover inaccuracies in my logging (like under-estimating calories eaten or over-estimating calories burnt).
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't add housework unless I have did A LOT more than usual (and that is unusual - haha.)

I also try to have little 5 min exercise bursts where I do some squats or lunges but I don't add them either. I'm generally trying to be more active when I'm doing the dishes and making dinner. (kick ups and calf raises etc) It looks a bit strange but the kids think it's funny :-)
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I usually add my housework chores...but that's only because I generally only get a chance to do my housework about once a week...so when I do...it's a major job (like 3 hours worth of work) because I have to vacuum 3 floors, clean the washrooms, dust, do my boyfriend's and my laundry (which is usually numerous loads...and the washer and dryer are 3 flights of stairs down...which means carrying all the laundry 3 flights back up) etc etc etc...so it's a major task...and I definitely sweat...so I consider it a workout...because it's not something I do as my ordinary routine. If it's just a simple tidy up...I don't count it.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this too. I haven't added things like walking to class or spending 30 minutes walking around the grocery store. I figured it was the extra 500 Cal over my MBR that MFP already lists for my "normal activity." But some days there's more normal activity than others... I think it's about right on average to not include them.
  • nikapp13
    Options
    thanks most have the same opinion as me so ill stick to not adding them Thanks everyone