Need help with choosing the right peanut butter.

Options
Hi! So I'm on tumblr and they have a side for fitness (fitblr) and there, everyone's pretty big on peanut butter. I want to try it too. But I'm confused as to what kind of peanut butter I should choose. Should it be low sugar (cause I'll be eating it often)? Or if I go ahead and buy whatever kind I want, will it effect my weight loss progress? Please help! :))

Replies

• changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is very high in calorie, and high in fat, and a little protein. It's really easy to go overboard with peanut butter. You need to weigh it to make sure you are accurate with how much you are really eating. (2 tablespoons, which is the serving size is not very much, and has approximately 200 calories and 16 grams of fat).

Having said that, I eat Smart Balance creamy peanut butter. But I weigh it, and only eat 1 tablespoon, if that. Usually 1/2 tablespoon. I use it as a condiment, not as a protein source.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Go for whichever has the most peanut in... I have whole earth which is 96% peanut.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My favourite is whole earth organic crunchy. Yum yum
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm a baseball player doing some running and cycling. I get Smuckers All Natural Peanut Butter. Ingredients included: peanuts. It's also low in sugar. A little more work is involved because you have to mix the oil back in, but I don't mind. I advise that you compare ingredients with any products you consume. Good luck.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I eat Barney's Best, but there's lots of sugar. However, since I don't eat it often, I am okay with that.

The only real question you have to ask yourself, though it "Creamy or crunchy?". (P.S. Creamy wins!!!)
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    when you do decide on your nut butter, to weigh it more easily put the unlidded pot on your scale, zero it, use the nut butter for whatever you're using it for - the negative value on the scale is the amount you need to track.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    when you do decide on your nut butter, to weigh it more easily put the unlidded pot on your scale, zero it, use the nut butter for whatever you're using it for - the negative value on the scale is the amount you need to track.

^^ This is exactly what I do.

Go for a high peanut content - above 95% is good. I always get the crunchy one.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat freshly ground peanuts - I get if at my local Organics shop, but many larger chain stores also offer it. No ingredients but the peanuts and tastes yummy :-). I also love freshly ground almond butter.

Calorie dense, high fat, but yummy! I use a tablespoon to spread on my apple slices for breakfast or snack :-)
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 (powdered peanut butter). A fraction of the fat and calories and can be added to anything! Pretty tasty too.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Krema - Creamy / Crunchy (your choice) Only ingredient is Peanuts! Since it's just crushed nuts you'd need to stir it all back together.

Tip: Pour off some of the oil from the top and keep it in a container. Now you have fresh peanut oil for cooking Thai style foods!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I use PB2 (powdered peanut butter). A fraction of the fat and calories and can be added to anything! Pretty tasty too.

nonono, pb2 is like eating someone's sad memory of peanut butter
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options

I just bought some and it comes in chocolate too. 45 calories for 2tbsp. You can have so much more if you want it...
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    buy roasted peanuts, put in food prosessor

you're welcome

This. A blender will even work. Although mine came out a bit grainier than I'd like. Maybe next time I'll roast them, then blend them.
  • riotthyme
    riotthyme Posts: 13 Member
    Options

That's really good for when you want a peanut butter flavor in smoothies (or cookies!), but it'd make a dry sandwich! Peanut butter should only have one ingredient: peanuts. Someone said above that you'll have to mix the oil back in but it's so worth it and you're not eating any weird preservatives.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Eat what tastes best to you. Um, I like Jiff the best. Low brow, goopy kids stuff with sugar, but I refuse to eat something I do not fully enjoy and I do not like the taste of natural peanut butter. I also agree with other posters, it is sooo high in calories, be careful how much you eat. I prefer the one ounce packets of almonds instead. I think they are better for you??
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites its two slice of whole wheat toasted (I like Arnold's 100% stone ground wheat) with natural creamy peanut butter and Smucker's low sugar raspberry jam (less sugar then the original but not artificial sugar - I don't care for the taste.) This is full of fiber and fat, and moderate on the protein - so I stay full for a while. I don't really care about which brand of peanut butter I buy. I usually go for whatever "natural" PB is cheapest. Usually natural still has salt but less or no sugar.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I might be reading it wrong, but your post sounds like you've never tried peanut butter before? If not, don't even bother with the processed stuff (added sugar and oil). Look for a peanut butter that says "natural" on the front. Then double check the ingredients on the back. It should say "ingredients: peanuts" or "100% peanuts". Yes, it contains ground peanuts only. I find that ground peanuts have their own natural sweetness to them and there's no need to add extra oil and sugar to the peanut butter. I believe they do that to make it more shelf stable. You need to mix your peanut butter when you open it because the oil and peanuts will have separated. Then you have to keep in the fridge, not the cupboard, because it isn't full of shelf stabilizers. Like others have said, you could also make your own by dry roasting peanuts in the oven and blending them into PB in a food processor.

Be sure to weigh your PB because it is high in calories!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I use PB&co because it tastes delicious. Especially their dark chocolate and white chocolate raspberry. I buy whatever tastes best. Because calories for weight loss balancing nutrients for health.