HELP can't eat till I've worked out my calories

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I'm struggling to work out calories for my rice.

I'm using Essential Waitrose (love life) whole grain rice.. it says on packet 180g (cooked) is 219 cals.. but on here gives 100g uncooked as 352cals. I'm not going to eat it uncooked.. and 180g rice is way too much even half of it for one meal.

I've got 100g weighed out in pan but need to work out what the cals will be when its cooked? .. then I'll probably have half of it and save half for another day.. I'm doing same with curry working out individual calories for the sauce, veg and meat then will divide it by 2 as won't eat the whole thing in one go.

I usually eat main meal before 3pm as don't have any carbs or anything after 3pm so if anyone can help and tell me how I work out what 100g of cooked rice is from knowing 180g cooked is 219cals?.. as I'm not sure which numbers to divide etc to work it out.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    can't you weigh it after you've cooked it?
  • shakybabe
    Options

I still won't know how many calories it is cos it only gives numbers for 180g cooked or 100g raw?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I still won't know how many calories it is cos it only gives numbers for 180g cooked or 100g raw?

Weigh it after you cook it. Divide that weight by 180. Multiply that number by 219 to get the final number of calories in your dish.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh precooked and then figure out how many servings I will have from the cooked amount. So 100g precooked = 352 cals divided by number of servings (2 or 3) gives you number of calories per serving.
  • Red_Dwarf74
    Red_Dwarf74 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    do what I do and weigh it as raw before you cook it weight out what you need and input for raw as all you are adding is water to the rice and water has no calories.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Rice is rice - search for white rice, long grains (basmati) cooked - weight it and track it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Rice is rice - search for white rice, long grains (basmati) cooked - weight it and track it.

You apparently haven't seen all the various entries for foods in the database. So many of them are wrong, it is hard to know which one to use sometimes.

Follow what it says on the bag for one serving uncooked. See how much that makes after cooking to determine if you actually eat that much. If it is too much, half it, and count it as a half serving.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you divide 219 by 180 you get 1.216 that is the calories per gram of rice. Then multiply that by 100 and you get 121.6 or rounded 122 calories for 100g cooked rice. Now I have to ask a question, what nonsense did you read that says to avoid eating carbs or anything after 3 pm? There is no scientific evidence that what you are doing makes any sense.
  • shakybabe
    Options
    its not white rice or basmati.

I was wondering why number is higher for 100g of uncooked than 180g of cooked rice??? surely 100g rice will be less calories than 180g of rice?
  • litsy3
    Options
    Or since you cooked 100g of raw rice and you have the calories for that, when you weigh the cooked rice, if you eat 50% of however much it weighs, you will know that you have eaten 50% of the calories that are in the raw rice you weighed.

(That is just if you want to be super-picky about exactly how much water your grains of rice soaked up while cooking, which might slightly affect the cooked weight).
  • litsy3
    Options

I was wondering why number is higher for 100g of uncooked than 180g of cooked rice??? surely 100g rice will be less calories than 180g of rice?

100g of raw rice is much smaller and denser than 180g of cooked rice, which is made of rice that's soaked up a whole load of water.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • shakybabe
    Options
    If you divide 219 by 180 you get 1.216 that is the calories per gram of rice. Then multiply that by 100 and you get 121.6 or rounded 122 calories for 100g cooked rice. Now I have to ask a question, what nonsense did you read that says to avoid eating carbs or anything after 3 pm? There is no scientific evidence that what you are doing makes any sense.

thanks I'm hopeless at maths I've written down the formula.

Does it make difference if you weigh before coking or after for stuff like meat or jacket potato etc?

Maybe easier to live off pre-packaged food with the calories all ready worked out or sign up for diet chef where they do all the maths for you!!

I can't remember where I read about having carbs later in day been bad for you, but saw it somewhere.. maybe not as early as 3pm but I like time to work off the calories I've eaten before I get in bed.
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    cook it then weigh it. only eat 1/4 cup
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

100g of raw rice is much smaller and denser than 180g of cooked rice, which is made of rice that's soaked up a whole load of water.

Agreed. Cooked rice is much heavier than raw. I find that it usually doubles in size. I haven't tried reweighing it because I usually cook it with other stuff, so I do my best to split it into equal servings. Because no one else is eating it, if I am off a bit I know it equals out when I eat the other serving.
  • shakybabe
    Options

if raw is smaller why is 100g = 352cals but cooked and more of it (180g) full of water its soaked up is only 219cals? .. it makes no sense! :noway:
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

if raw is smaller why is 100g = 352cals but cooked and more of it (180g) full of water its soaked up is only 219cals? .. it makes no sense! :noway:

How many calories do you think the water adds to the rice? Does it make more sense now?
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Because 180 gr of cooked rice are actually 62 gr of uncooked rice, according to the calories they're giving you on the package
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    100 g uncooked rice will weigh between 200 and 300 grams when cooked, depending on the type of rice and how long it is cooked. The extra weight is the water that is absorbed. So from my prior post of 1.216 for a g of cooked rice that would indicate that your rice gains almost 3 times its weight in cooking. As a rule brown rice gains more weight than white. To answer your other question yes there is a difference between cooked and raw weights on meats. You will lose about 25% of weight in cooking most meats, but that depends on how it is cooked.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

thanks I'm hopeless at maths I've written down the formula.

Does it make difference if you weigh before coking or after for stuff like meat or jacket potato etc?

Maybe easier to live off pre-packaged food with the calories all ready worked out or sign up for diet chef where they do all the maths for you!!

I can't remember where I read about having carbs later in day been bad for you, but saw it somewhere.. maybe not as early as 3pm but I like time to work off the calories I've eaten before I get in bed.

Meats will lose water (and some fat) after cooking, so the calories are different raw and cooked.

Potatoes can either lose or absorb water, depending on how they are cooked. A baked potato would probably lose a little water, mashed/boiled will absorb water.

Rice and pasta absorb quite a bit of water while cooking.

I try to weigh things raw, prior to cooking as often as possible and divide them up into single serving sizes. I store the "leftover" servings in airtight plastic containers.

I weigh packaged foods, too, as they often contain less or more than the bag states.

If you want to track accurately, I highly recommend using a food scale for everything.