New to exercising and training for a 10k run

Options
Hi,
I am fairly new to MFP and have never dared to post before for fear of sounding silly and getting ridiculed but here goes:

I am 28 years old, 5ft3 and weigh 11st6lbs, I have lost 4lbs recently and have another 20 pounds roughly that I would like to lose to hopefully be a lot healthier and a better role model for my children.

I have signed up to do a 10k run in September (the great Yorkshire run) I have done this in the hope that by having a goal to work towards I will find it easier. My husband suffers from Crohn's disease so I am doing it to raise money for charity. I have been running several times a week for 4 weeks and not really gotten anywhere as hard to run around mine and my husbands work shifts and looking after our children. We don't drive and so joining the gym is not particularly feasible as I would have to factor time walking there and back. We have invested in a treadmill this week as it means I can run when the children are in bed/doing homework/playing etc. I managed to run 2k this morning but am worried I will never hit the elusive 10k. Sorry for rambling I am just looking for some advice really as I want to kick my health into gear before I hit 30.

I have not really had chance to explore the site much but I am looking for tips on how best to achieve my weight loss and better health...how many times a week should I be running and how fast should I be building up to the 10k, am I best off running each day at home on the treadmill and then doing a few runs outside when able? Do I run straight off or am I best walking then building to a run. Also by throwing in 2 or 3 aerobic workouts a week will I improve my general health and increase my stamina?

Motivation has always been my downfall but 4 weeks ago after eating a take-away I decided that enough was enough and my body deserved better. I deserve to be happy to look in the mirror. The first few weeks were hard watching everybody else eat treats etc but this week my husband has decided to join me on my journey and improve his health too which should help as I feel we will both be able to motivate each other. Any pointers in the direction of some healthy family recipes would be great.

Sorry for all the questions I am so ashamed that I don't know any of this and that I have let my health slide.

Thanks in advance for any advice anybody can offer me.

Karen.

Replies

• Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    if you have a smart phone you could try using apps? There's http://c25kfree.com/ and then you could move onto something like this: http://www.active.com/mobile/10k which is what i'm currently using. They're good cos they build up to it :)
  • newell1986
    newell1986 Posts: 10
    Options
    than you! I really appreciate all help and advice.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I second finding a good app you like...I have been doing a Couch to 5K plan for the past seven weeks and am up to running 28 minutes now...about 2.5 miles currently. There are a number of them out there, do a search...I thought I saw one by NHS that I couldn't get in the US that people liked a lot. I am planning on a 5k-10K bridge after this.
    Even if you don't go with an app, check out sites like CoolRunnings.com or Hal Higdon for training plans...you can just print them to follow rather than using an app if you want. But I find I have been more successful with the app keeping track of the times and such for me.
    There are also running groups on here to go read for tips, especially for beginners. Tips like "Slow down!"...actually really helpful from people who have been there, done that.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would not plan to run the entire 10K. Trying to go from a non-runner to 6.2 miles in 8 weeks will only end in an overuse injury and you being sidelined for months.

I second finding a C25K (couch to 5K) app or program and using that. Go at your own pace and don't worry about repeating weeks in the program.

Get fitted at a running store for good running shoes. Run no more than every other day. You need more rest days as a newbie to avoid overuse injuries like shin splints, stress fractures and tendonitis.

Try to run on the softest surface you can find for now--rubberized track, treadmill/dirt, asphalt. Avoid concrete as it is the most stress on your body and will set you up for overuse injuries because you don't yet have the muscle mass in your legs to help you absorb the shock.

Enjoy the 10K, but realize that for your own safety and motivation, you'll probably be walking half of it. :flowerforyou:
  • 126siany
    Options
    Forgot to mention that there is a Recipe section on MFP that has a lot of great, healthy options!
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for the Great Yorkshire Run too. Look on the Great Run website and there is a walk/run training plan. I am not running all of it, plan to run intervals. I have been running intervals for a few weeks and it isn't too bad, but it takes more stamina than just walking 10k briskly as it is quite tiring speeding up and slowing down!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For the running, I would pick a C25k plan and follow that. I would plan on doing walk/run intervals for the 10 k.

A really good running link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

And a good one for using the site/weight loss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • pshara
    pshara Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with 126siany. You shouldn't try to run the entire 10k. There is nothing wrong with alternating jog and walking. You should determine what your goals are and focus on those. For instance, 2 years ago I finished a half marathon without ever running more than 5 miles. My goals were simple 1) cross the finish line, 2) don't be last and 3) don't get picked up by the medic truck.

There is a lot of pride and satisfaction you gain just by being in the race, don't risk injuring yourself unnecessarily.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - do a proper program like Couch to 10K (C210K) and/or C25K and follow the training protocol

- I personally would have (and did) started with a 5K and advance from there...is that an option for your run, maybe you could switch it. Most races I've done have had 5K and 10K routes.

- it is likely that you will be able to complete the 10K but I would plan on doing a combination of run/walk..a 10K isn't really a beginners run
  • 126siany
    Options
    For the running, I would pick a C25k plan and follow that. I would plan on doing walk/run intervals for the 10 k.

A really good running link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

And a good one for using the site/weight loss

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

That's a great link for beginning runners! Thanks for sharing it!
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would not plan to run the entire 10K. Trying to go from a non-runner to 6.2 miles in 8 weeks will only end in an overuse injury and you being sidelined for months.

I second finding a C25K (couch to 5K) app or program and using that. Go at your own pace and don't worry about repeating weeks in the program.

Get fitted at a running store for good running shoes. Run no more than every other day. You need more rest days as a newbie to avoid overuse injuries like shin splints, stress fractures and tendonitis.

Try to run on the softest surface you can find for now--rubberized track, treadmill/dirt, asphalt. Avoid concrete as it is the most stress on your body and will set you up for overuse injuries because you don't yet have the muscle mass in your legs to help you absorb the shock.

Enjoy the 10K, but realize that for your own safety and motivation, you'll probably be walking half of it. :flowerforyou:

Have to disagree with you here, going from non-runner to 10k is definitely doable in 8 weeks. I went from barely being able to jog a mile to being able to jog 10k with no walking in just under 4 weeks by running 3x a week and increasing my distance each time. To be clear, I still wasn't fast, my jogging 10k time was around 58 minutes (around 40 minutes is what real athletes hit), but it was still 10k with no walking. Being able to do this will largely depend on what shape you're currently in, how young you are, etc.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Have to disagree with you here, going from non-runner to 10k is definitely doable in 8 weeks. I went from barely being able to jog a mile to being able to jog 10k with no walking in just under 4 weeks by running 3x a week and increasing my distance each time. To be clear, I still wasn't fast, my jogging 10k time was around 58 minutes (around 40 minutes is what real athletes hit), but it was still 10k with no walking. Being able to do this will largely depend on what shape you're currently in, how young you are, etc.

Doable - possibly. Likely for most - no. And that's fine.
    I dare say you are the exception not the rule. Yes, it has a lot to do with background, but for
    someone who is not just a non-runner but new to fitness overall, especially with a little extra weight, it is more likely that it won't be possible in 8 weeks. More so, my concern would be the much higher chance of injury.
  • 126siany
    Options

Being able to do it doesn't mean it's advisable to do it. The risk of overuse injuries is high, even if you've been physically active before.
  • defauIt
    Options
    I dare say you are the exception not the rule. Yes, it has a lot to do with background, but for
    someone who is not just a non-runner but new to fitness overall, especially with a little extra weight, it is more likely that it won't be possible in 8 weeks. More so, my concern would be the much higher chance of injury.
    Being able to do it doesn't mean it's advisable to do it. The risk of overuse injuries is high, even if you've been physically active before.

My point wasn't that she should push herself hard and definitely aim to sprint the entire 10k, just that it was possible to get up to a point where you can slowly jog a 10k in 8 weeks. If you warm up properly, cool down properly, stay properly hydrated and fueled, wear proper running shoes/clothing and listen to your body (i.e. take an extra rest day or two if you're feeling run down), there's no significant increased chance of injury in my opinion.

The increased chance of injury is *usually* only when you significantly ramp up the intensity of your exercise, which doesn't necessarily mean just jogging at a slow pace for a bit longer each day. If you go from sitting around all day to trying to sprint flat out for 10 minutes at a time, yeah, you're probably going to hurt something. A slow jog is generally a lot less rough on your body.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

My point wasn't that she should push herself hard and definitely aim to sprint the entire 10k, just that it was possible to get up to a point where you can slowly jog a 10k in 8 weeks. If you warm up properly, cool down properly, stay properly hydrated and fueled, wear proper running shoes/clothing and listen to your body (i.e. take an extra rest day or two if you're feeling run down), there's no significant increased chance of injury in my opinion.

The increased chance of injury is *usually* only when you significantly ramp up the intensity of your exercise, which doesn't necessarily mean just jogging at a slow pace for a bit longer each day. If you go from sitting around all day to trying to sprint flat out for 10 minutes at a time, yeah, you're probably going to hurt something. A slow jog is generally a lot less rough on your body.

I didn't take that as your point at all. I still disagree. I've coached a Learn to run program (C25k basically) for the last 4 years and even with that slow ramp up and all the other stuff, a lot of people still have problems. You may not be ramping up on speed, but to train for a 10k you are still ramping up on distance before that body has become conditioned to running.
  • 126siany
    Options

I didn't take that as your point at all. I still disagree. I've coached a Learn to run program (C25k basically) for the last 4 years and even with that slow ramp up and all the other stuff, a lot of people still have problems. You may not be ramping up on speed, but to train for a 10k you are still ramping up on distance before that body has become conditioned to running.

Exactly.
  • defauIt
    Options

Eh, my sample size is about 5 friends and family who I trained with and we all ramped up at about the same pace. But I freely admit to my personal experience being limited, given you've coached it for 4 years, I'll just say you're right.

Still, best of luck, OP.
  • twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There's a couch 2 10k app, maybe check that out?
  • newell1986
    newell1986 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you for all your advice and tips, I have been building up a bit each day on the treadmill and also trying to fit in a couple of runs outside, I managed to up my distance to 3.2 k this morning n the treadmill and can happily run comfortably without collapsing for around 20mins. I have completed a 5k run while 20 weeks pregnant in the past although that was 3 years ago so I am aiming to get my fitness back on an even keel. I must say that running has made a big difference so far, not so much to my weight but more to how I feel and feeling fitter while out and about walking etc. I will have a look further at some of the links given and thank you again to everyone who took the time to respond with good advice....I am aiming to complete the race, hopefully run a fair amount of it and hopefully not get the paramedics attention.

Thank you again x
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    C210K or a Hal Higdon plan. I've done both and like both.

I would choose C210K just because I like the voice prompts and the walk/run component. Hal Higdon is all running, but just builds up the distances slowly.