Losing 50 pounds by years end?

Options
Is it possible? I think it is. There are somethings that say it isn't, but who is to say that is true for everyone? I think I am currently at a weight and a stage in my life where it is really hard to get started let alone lose so much. Right now I am 168, according to my scale this morning. This means I have lost 8 pounds since July 1, seems to be a good weightloss for that amount of time, but also... am I dehydrated? Am I eating enough? Am I eating healthy enough? I have not been using MyFitnessPal as religiously as I should be, BUT that's okay. I do wish I had more people in my boat, who know the difficulty, who can keep my on track, who can talk to me and we can support one another. 50 pounds by next year is a difficult task, and not many of my friends get where I am at right now. I used to be thin, happy, confident and just all around energetic about everything. Now, not so much. My friends are worried about the 5 pounds they need to lose to fit into their size 2-4 jeans and I am sitting here thinking, wow... I was so happy when I was a size 6, now? I'm a size 12. I am sick of looking at myself like... well... like I am not even me anymore. Is anyone else out there looking to lose such a large amount in such a small amount of time? Is anyone else out there in the same boat as me?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    50 pounds by 1 January 2015 is pushing it if you plan on losing weight in a healthy manner. Realistically, you're at about the one pound per week loss goal range now and that diminishes as you get closer to your target weight.
  • Lach_esis
    Lach_esis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also think it's possible, though not advisable. I am myself pushing it by eating low carb under my calorie goal. And I go running and swimming. I started in June and have so far lost 6 kilo. Though I can't run now because I've got blisters on both my feet, I went from being able to run less than 1K to running 6K. I swim 1.5 K. I don't have hunger with my diet, so I keep on going.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    In a one year time span if you are thinking from July to next July then yes it is. About two years I joined my fitness pal and with exercise, healthy eating and also following the plan on the site I was able to lose 45 pounds in a year.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't like to put hard deadlines on myself as far as when I'll lose all the weight. Especially at this stage, it doesn't seem to come off as quickly/linear as it used to. So to avoid getting frustrated/fed up I just don't set strict deadlines. I've got a lot of life left to live, so if I lose the next 30 pounds in a year or 2 instead of 6 months, I'll still have plenty of time left to love my new body!
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Its possible but u will most likely be miserable while doing it. I have the same goal but i also started my goal when i was at 250 and gave myself about 7 months to do it. U r starting at a much lower weight than I am which is going to make it much harder. I would hope for around 30 lbs if i were u. But good luck either way ;)
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs exactly from January 1st to July 1st this year. However, I started off much larger (215lbs and a size 18), and now am starting to slow to 1.5lbs per week, and I'm sure by my goal it'll be 1lbs per week or less. It'd be possible and maybe even healthy if you were obese, but you're basically the same size as I am now give or take a few pounds and I think it'd be a really miserable experience for you, and not sustainable in the long run.