I need a low calorie homemade soup

Options
Good morning! Does anyone have a low-cal soup/chili recipe they would like to share? Something that freezes well would be ideal. Thanks all!

Christine0622

Replies

• mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    I just made one. Its very healthy but not that tasty :( 1/4 cup dry quinoa 4 baby carrots chopped. 3 mushrooms chopped, one clove garlic, 1/2 an onion (i used a whole onion and it was WAY too much and whatever spices you like. Boil water toss in onions and quinoa and carrrots. boil 15 min. Last 5 minutes toss in garlic and mushrooms. It fills you up really quick. I had to fight to be able to eat all of it. But i thought it was a little bland.
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Onions - Raw, 100 g
    Water - Municipal, 5 cup (8 fl oz)
    Potatoes - White, flesh and skin, raw, 150 g
    homemade - salt, pepper, chilli, 1 mix
    Oxo - Vegetable Stock Cubes, 1 cube
    Broccoli - Raw, 400 g

Total: 299cals
    Per Serving: 43cals ( if making 7 portions)

This is a recipe I do for broccoli soup. Very low cal and tasty. In the spice mix i use pepper, paprika, ground coriander and salt.
    Just a pinch of each really (to your taste) I simmer for 20 mins and then blend.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I make a really easy broad bean soup:
    I saute an onion and a couple of garlic cloves (teaspoon of oil and tablespoon of water.) Add a tablespoon of cumin seeds and cook till for about a minute, then a whole packet of frozen broad beans (no need to defrost) and some stock and simmer for 15-20 mins. I whizz it in the food processor then add a tablespoon of greek yogurt on top and some olives if I've got any - I love this soup and full of protein.

Bean and lentil - no fat
    I made one last week with no fat in it and lots of cinnamon and it tasted really good.
    I used aduki beans (you could use any though), red lentils, 1/2 tpground cumin, turmeric, chilli and a teaspoon of cinnamon, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots and stock - just chucked it all in together, then simmered for 15 mins. I added shredded cabbage and cooked for another 5 mins so the cabbage was still had some bite. I whizzed half and left the rest chunky.

I was surprised how nice this second soup was when the veggies were not sauted first as that's how I usually do it. I wouldnt usually use so much cinnamon but I'm sure this is what made it really nice.

Sorry I'm not sure what quantities I used - soups are great for just chucking things together! I use stock to cover by maybe an inch and top up if necessary duing the cooking time.

I think soup is the way to go for losing weight in winter :-)
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just made one. Its very healthy but not that tasty :( 1/4 cup dry quinoa 4 baby carrots chopped. 3 mushrooms chopped, one clove garlic, 1/2 an onion (i used a whole onion and it was WAY too much and whatever spices you like. Boil water toss in onions and quinoa and carrrots. boil 15 min. Last 5 minutes toss in garlic and mushrooms. It fills you up really quick. I had to fight to be able to eat all of it. But i thought it was a little bland.

Quadrun you are really selling that soup :-)
  • October1234
    Options
    1Red pepper, 1/2 butternut squash,1 peeled carrot, chili powder (optional buit gives it a bit of a kick!) and a bit of salt and pepper to taste.

Roast the pepper first in the oven then remove the skin.
    Boil up the chopped carrot and butternut squash.
    Pop it all the ingredients in a blender with a cup of water or two.
    Heat the mixtutre up in a pot.
    Dont know how much cals it is but weightwatchers uses it so it cant be too much!
    Its a thick soup and very filling!
    You can get a bout 2 or 3 servings out of it.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Any veg soup!! Steam it all, then blend it up with veg stock and seasoning (just salt and pepper or add cumin etc for a twist). One of my faves is roast butternut, veg stock, carrot, salt and pepper - add coriander if you like it. YUM and sooooo few cals
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Check out HungryGirl.com. She has a wonderful homemade Chicken soup that is delicious! It is called Hungry Chick Chunky Soup. Easy, and full of a lot of flavor.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili! And spices are your friend!

-tomatoes (chopped or canned)
    -beans (whatever type you want! I put in kidney beans and chick peas)
    -carrots
    -celery
    -potatoes
    -mushrooms
    -corn
    -garlic
    -chili powder
    -mustard powder (may seem odd, but I PROMISE it makes it taste good!)
    -black ground pepper

You'll need to play around with how much to put in to suit your tastes, and just use the calorie guide on here to measure and then divide it into portions... ie: 2 cups of carrots=x cal, plus....

I also recommend putting in half of the potatoes in small cubes, and then about halfway through shredding the rest and putting it in then. If you simmer it in a slow cooker for a few hours on low, the shredded potatoes will thicken it up.

Play around with the amounts, depending on the size of pot, and how much room you have to store this. BTW - this does store rather well frozen.
  • chancie72
    chancie72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    chicken tortilla soup-
    saute desired amount of garlic, chopped onion, chopped jalepeno, and chopped green pepper in small amount of olive oil

add 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 2 c frozen corn, can green chilis, can black beans, 1/2 c water, chili powder, cayenne pepper, 4 cans fat free chicken broth, 2 cans diced tomatoes and 2 8 oz. cans tomato sauce

bring to boil, cook about 15 minutes then shred the chicken with 2 forks. simmer another 35-45 minutes.

top each bowl with low calorie shredded cheddar, f.f. sour cream and a couple crushed lowfat tortilla chips
  • sarah2002
    sarah2002 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Italian Wedding Soup (even my very picky husband loved it!)
    around 269 calories for a very large serving
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/italian-wedding-soup-i/Detail.aspx
    I used Spicy Italian Sausage for the meatballs and also added a can of beef broth. I cooked it in the crockpot all day and added a package of frozen spinach instead of escarole (whatever that is??) during the last hour. I just had the frozen leftovers, and they were just as good as the original.

Amy's Mexican Soup
    about 266 calories for a very large serving
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/amys-mexican-soup/Detail.aspx
    I added 3 cups cooked brown rice and some frozen corn, and topped with tortilla chips and cheese. Just make sure to use low sodium versions of everything, or at least rinse the beans before adding.
  • snerk
    snerk Posts: 51
    Options
    I make a really tasty veggie soup, that freezes great! I call it my super soup!! Each serving is under 100 calories.
    Now take into account, I dont do perfect measuring..just eyeball it when adding veggies.

cauliflower
    few broccoli crowns
    carrots
    butternut squash
    celery
    1 can of lite coconut milk
    (sometimes a little chicken broth)
    clubhouse roasted garlic and red peppers seasonings
    chili stuff u can get in a tube (if i have none i use cayenne pepper)

Cut, clean, and boil veggies for a few minutes, soft enough to blend. Bake or steam the squash, and pureee all the vegetables with the coconut milk. Try to save a bit of the water from boiling the veggies. Add the puree'd veggies into a big pot...will be very thick, so add a bit of chicken broth, and/or veggie water. Add in the spices , i prefer mine spicy..some dont. and just let it simmer till the flavors mix good...Put in little freeezer bags. When i eat my soup. i add a serving of fat free cottage cheese.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/black-bean-stoup-and-southwestern-monte-cristo-sandwiches-recipe2/index.html

Love this black bean soup recipe. More like a blackbean vegetable than a traditional black bean! It freezes great. In fact, I think it's better afterwards. Comes in @ about 188/cup.

Lots of really great soup recipes over on Wegmans website too.
  • Boo_08
    Boo_08 Posts: 102
    Options
    bump
  • cejubitz
    cejubitz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Another vote for chicken tortilla soup! I use the Pioneer Woman recipe.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/

So delicious!