Want to try DDP yoga but afraid I am too fat?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
I have seen lots of the videos, including the one with the vet who couldn't walk without help. It makes me want to try DDP yoga. But I am concerned that my big gut will make it very hard to do the workout. I have a 54" waist and can't see myself being able to do the movements correctly.

Also, I hurt my back last September, and I can't seem to get over it. I have been to the doctor twice for it. Steroids make the pain go away, but it comes back when I go off of them..... I was on them twice, and do not want to use them again. My pain is only when I actually attempt to stand up. No pain any other time than that, really.

I am soon to be 52 years old, and really need to change. I just don't want to waste money if I can't actually do the yoga movements. Is this a program where you do the best you can until you can do it with good form?

That video with Arthur was pretty amazing!

Replies

• crikey_katie
    crikey_katie Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you can find a good yoga instructor they should be able to take what you can and can't do into consideration and make adjustments to the poses to accommodate your abilities.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Try some free youtube yoga videos and see if you like it/can do it. Referencing Arther, look at all the falling he did! Yet he got back up and continued to be an amazing inspiration! Unless you try and push through the struggles, you will never know. I don't know what your physical "limitations" are, you do. Worst that happens is that you try it and hate it.

Good luck.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Yup, what Crikey_katie said. I have massive hip and shoulder pain and yet I found an instructor who challenges me while keeping these in mind. From what I've seen of DDP, you should be able to modify the poses to fit your level of fitness/injury. Just remember, there is nothing wrong with backing off and adjusting the move to fit your ability/range of motion. Yoga is awesome like that!!
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    DDP Yoga is perfect for beginners and overweight people. Also great for athletes. Try it, you won't be disappointed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you've watched that video all the way they and you're still not convinced that you could do it I'm not sure what we can do to convince you
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you've watched that video all the way they and you're still not convinced that you could do it I'm not sure what we can do to convince you

Completely agree!!!!
  • Tora32
    Tora32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The first thing I thought of was bodypositiveyoga.com/ I believe she also has a youtube channel where she demonstrates modifications for a few things like child's pose or a basic sun salutation, though her main site covers all that pretty well. Personally, I pretty much jumped into yoga and discovered the poses my body interfered with as I went, but that's up to you. Just be careful and listen to you body so you're not pushing it too far.

And yeah, if you're taking classes (which ideally you'll do at first anyway), definitely go up to them before class and express your concerns. When taking yoga after my surgery a couple years back (after being cleared for exercise), the instructors were pretty good at showing modifications for weak knees after I'd talked to them. :)
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

I loved that video! It made me cry for joy.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    You are right.... If that guy can do it, I can.... He was bigger than I am, and had all of those other issues. All I have is a big gut and a cranky lower back....
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    You are right.... If that guy can do it, I can.... He was bigger than I am, and had all of those other issues. All I have is a big gut and a cranky lower back....

I have the same issues you have & when I started working out it was way worse.

Yoga, strength training, & other exercises have been AWESOME for both my gut AND my lower back that I had to have surgery on. In fact, if I can't workout for a week for whatever reason, my back starts to get sore and I begin having problems walking - I walk all stiff like - it hurts. So my advice to you... DO IT!!!!!!
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Start out with some youtube videos, or free online sites like doyogawithme.com and experiment around with styles you like. I do the Ultimate Yogi dvd set and I by no means have a yoga body, lol. My husband is 6 feet tall, and about 270ish, and he gets in there and does it with me sometimes. There are ways to modify almost every pose to suit your needs, don't let anyone discourage you from giving it a try! :smile:
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I recently started DDP yoga and cannot do some of the modifications they suggest. It's not stopping me. Whatever the position is that challenges me I search for an even further modification. There are so many benefits in doing yoga, whatever style you chose in yoga, you will be so pleased with yourself if you give it a try.

I told myself you have to start somewhere. Yoga is so much about you getting to know your body. It's hard in the beginning, but most of us tend to compare ourselves to what others are doing. Once you focus on what your body can do, you'll see changes immediately. No lie. Each time I do yoga my body moves a little bit more then the time before.

Don't focus on what you can't do, because anything can be modified . . . focus on whatever your body will do today.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Also completely agree. DDP is, in his own bizarre way, one of the coolest instructors EVAH! I own a LOT of pilates, barre, yoga workouts and love DDP because he makes me LOL. He is very encouraging and there is a modifier in everything, and you can modify the modifier if you need to. When you order, also sign up for the DDP yoga forums, Arthur himself is on there and many other people who can give you ideas for modifications and provide assistance as needed.
  • rmclearren
    Options
    The biggest person that I'm aware of that did DDP Yoga was Slim Gillian, he started at 601 pounds. There were a lot of modifications that he had to make but he did it and he's still doing it after 2 years. Hope that helps!
  • leannebrod
    leannebrod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Size, age & injury.
    DDP Yoga is amazing, don't spend your time wondering if you can do it. Just give it a try. I had back pain for 20 years. I started DDP Yoga last October and I have never looked back. No pain, stronger and more flexible. It was recommended to me by my Mum and sister. My mum had a fall whilst taking my children swimming. She suffered a bad rotator cuff injury. The consultant said she would not get full movement of her shoulder back. She's been doing DDP Yoga for over a year and has full movement back, she's 64 and looks amazing. It's for EVERYONE regardless of the challenges we face. Also has a great support network. Check out teamddpyoga.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    DDP Yoga is pretty awesome. I've been a trainer for 14 years and just recently discovered DDP Yoga and I think it is for just about anyone. I recently got back from the DDP Yoga retreat in Mexico. There were people there who had never done it before and some that had been doing it for years. We had 2 workouts a day for about 1.5 hours each (extreme, I know) and everyone worked at their own level. Most of the workouts on the DVDs are 30 minutes or less.

I met some amazing people and even had dinner with Arthur Boorman one night. There was a young man who started DDP Yoga 2 years ago at over 500 lbs. and his has lost 230 of it. Another woman from the UK was in a terrible car accident years ago and had to have in home caregivers come in for 30 hours a week because she couldn't do hardly anything for herself. She started DDP Yoga 4 months ago and made the trip from the UK to Mexico with 1 crutch - no more in home care. These are real people I met, workout with and partied with.

You can do DDP Yoga and I bet you love it.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I gotta get in the mood. I used to do yoga a long time ago.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I recently started DDP yoga and cannot do some of the modifications they suggest. It's not stopping me. Whatever the position is that challenges me I search for an even further modification. There are so many benefits in doing yoga, whatever style you chose in yoga, you will be so pleased with yourself if you give it a try.

I told myself you have to start somewhere. Yoga is so much about you getting to know your body. It's hard in the beginning, but most of us tend to compare ourselves to what others are doing. Once you focus on what your body can do, you'll see changes immediately. No lie. Each time I do yoga my body moves a little bit more then the time before.

Don't focus on what you can't do, because anything can be modified . . . focus on whatever your body will do today.

100x this!!
  • jadekimbo
    jadekimbo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also just started DDP yoga and really enjoy it. I agree that modification is key. However, does anyone have tips on how to log DDP exercise on MFP?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the guy that couldn't walk found a way to do it.