Am I losing it too fast?

Options
I'm a little worried that I have lost 6lbs in 2 weeks, I haven't really done anything in terms of excersizing,

I have been watching what I eat, I can't eat as much as I used to be able to, I can manage about half a sandwhich sometimes not even that,

I have had the flu and had a small procudure that I got put to sleep for but I don't know if that should affect my weight loss,
Obviously I'm not complaining about losing 6lbs in 2weeks but I just got a little worried that it might be going too fast for it too be healthy.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

LittleMissOptimist ^_^

Replies

• fishiewishes
    fishiewishes Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is this your first 2 weeks? If so you may be losing it faster due to losing water weight as well at the moment :) Hope you feel better from your flu!
  • Weeble91
    Options
    Hi! if you aren't doing anything different, then you're ok. i had dental surgery a while back and they put me under heavy twilight sedation...i swear it sped up my metabolism cuz even when i ate a lot here and there, it would burn off quicker. you'll eventually plateu, so the idea is to get in good habbits now, enjoy the hunks of weight coming off, so that when you do plateu, you are already in a routine and will continue losing. being sick can help or hurt...eat what you need to in order to get healthy again, but don't go ape catching up on missed food when you are over the flu. be healthy, that's the key. eating healthy, even if its not a lot, is key too.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Depending your weight now 6lb in the first 2 weeks could be possible. The flu may have something to do with it. So if you go up a couple don't freak out it's probably your body adjusting. Make sure your getting enough good nutritious food. You want to FEED the body with healthy foods. Good job.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon for someone to lose a lot of weight when first starting a diet. Obviously in your case there was other considerations like the flu. It's probably just water weight. If your diet includes cutting back on sodium then that's probaby 5 pounds of wtaer right there.

If you continue to lose an average of 3 pounds a week that is excessive, but then again that depends on how much you have to lose. From your picture it doesn't appear that you do need to lose that much weight but it's really hard to tell.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are eating what MFP tells you and not under that amount. You will lose your goal amount of weight eating 100% what MFP suggests.
  • LittleMissOptimist
    Options
    It's not really my first 2 weeks,
    I had a couple of months at the gym back in summer, (april - august)
    then I gave for about a month but I was dancing every week then, (september - october)
    started to go running then it snowed too much too run, (october - december)

I lost about 5lbs between April - December and now I have started to watch what I eat lot more it seems to be falling off :S

Little Miss Optimist ^_^
  • SteeleMagnolia
    Options
    It's normal to lose a little more in the first few weeks. It's probably water and some of the toxins flushing out. Just relax and enjoy it!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    now I have started to watch what I eat lot more it seems to be falling off :S

Yeah, you'll find that particularly if you log your food intake and exercise level.

Most people under estimate the amount of calories they eat and over estimate their activity level sometimes significantly. When they start logging they are often astonished at the amount of food, especially calories, they are consuming.

There was an interesting study reported in the New England Journal of Medicine published a while ago:

link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084

The participants of the study were specifically chosen because the maintained they simply could not lose weight as obese individuals despite eating less than 1,200 calories a day. This proved to be incorrect. In fact they were eating much more and doing much less in reality than they believed.

Your weight loss should stabilise in the next few weeks after this initial inducation phase. If it is then continuing at a rate of 3lbs per week then you might want to look at your your calorie deficit depending on your weight. As a rough indicator I think individuals shouldn't aim for anything more than 1% of their total weight in any given week as a maximum. Therefore if you are say 170lbs and you are losing more than 1.7lbs then reassess.