chi-chi-chi-CHIA... seeds

Options
So I've just come to realize that I've had a very large stash of chia seeds for the last few months, which is great! The only problem is that I'm not sure what to do with them.. I'm giving a go at my first attempt to chia seed pudding but I would love to know what else I can throw the bad boys in :)

Share your favourite recipe/use for chia seeds!

Replies

• LJDaye
    LJDaye Posts: 69
    Options
    Bump for ideas :smile:
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I actually just put some in my water bottle. Once they absorb water, they're slippery and gelatinous; I don't really notice them much as I drink.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    puddings are the most common way, and I guess just try with different flavours. Coconut milk, regular milk, chocolate, etc.

Otherwise, you could just sprinkle them on stuff- like on your salad. That's basically what I used to do.

Sorry, pretty boring and not too much help but luckily you just need a bit to get the benefits in :)
  • veggieluvr45
    veggieluvr45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just put a scoop (1T) in a glass of water every morning. Give it a good stir, let it sit for a couple minutes and drink it up. I like it. :smile:
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack the post, but what are chia seeds for?
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I put 1tbsp in my smoothies. Also have sprinkles on salax.
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always put em in my smoothies, really thickens it up after 10 mins or so
  • twinkletwinklemeganstar
    Options
    I like them in oatmeal, cereal, yogurt and smoothies. For me, they are just a way of bulking up a meal and they are a good source of omegas :-) I love the texture and they are completely tasteless.
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    following! I would love to know what they are good for and more ideas of how to use them as well!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the boring ones that just put a TB of chia seeds in my bottle of water -- I do pizazz it up with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of agave nectar. :smile:
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    They are great for overnight oatmeal...if you don't mind the "poppyseed" texture salad dressing and smoothies..sugar free jams to I have heard but never tried.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Throw them in smoothies, add them to baked goods like muffins, add them to yogurt with a bit of granola or maple syrup.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    You can substitute chia + water for up to half the oil in bread recipes, pancakes etc. Ratio is 1 measure chia + 3 measures water.

They add protein and especially fiber to your diet, with little fat.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). 30g of chia seeds (about 2 tablespoons) contains approximately 130 calories, 4g of protein (they are in fact a complete protein), 9g fat (they are the richest plant source of omega-3 FAs), and 11g fiber. They also contain numerous vitamins and minerals, including providing ~18% of the recommended daily intake of calcium.

I love making chia seed pudding, my favorite is a coconut lime pudding:
    1c coconut beverage (NOT THE COCONUT MILK IN A CAN!!!)
    1/3c chia seeds
    zest and juice of one lime
    2T shredded, toasted coconut

Mix the seeds, coconut milk, lime zest & juice together, let sit for 5 min. Stir again and divide mixture between 2 dishes, sprinkle with toasted coconut and refrigerate for a couple hours (overnight is best).
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have diverticulitis and have to avoid most small seeds (no strawberries makes me super sad). Since they are "absorbed" do you think I'd be OK giving these a try? (Of course the obvs answer would be to ask my doctor, but that's what the internets are for, right? lol)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). 30g of chia seeds (about 2 tablespoons) contains approximately 130 calories, 4g of protein (they are in fact a complete protein), 9g fat (they are the richest plant source of omega-3 FAs), and 11g fiber. They also contain numerous vitamins and minerals, including providing ~18% of the recommended daily intake of calcium.

I love making chia seed pudding, my favorite is a coconut lime pudding:
    1c coconut beverage (NOT THE COCONUT MILK IN A CAN!!!)
    1/3c chia seeds
    zest and juice of one lime
    2T shredded, toasted coconut

Mix the seeds, coconut milk, lime zest & juice together, let sit for 5 min. Stir again and divide mixture between 2 dishes, sprinkle with toasted coconut and refrigerate for a couple hours (overnight is best).

Great minds think alike =) I made this just this morning for a sweet treat later on tonight.

However, I *did* use coconut milk in a can (not the sweetened kind, the kind you cook with) and I don't have limes today, so I used 'True Lime' crystals & added a dash of vanilla. It was delicious!!!! It's now sitting in the fridge awaiting my late night craving for a treat :drinker:
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    i used to keep a bag of them at my desk at work. i'd mix 4-5 spoonfuls with half a cup of coffee and a few drops of chocolate stevia. i suppose it comes out the same way as the pudding does.
  • CatieBeth85
    CatieBeth85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ooooooh! I love Chia seed everything!

FOr those who have asked about what the purpose is, they serve many, but the general idea is:
    the gelatinous part grabs the "crap" out of your system and push it through while the "scratchy" fiber part scrubs the "crap" out of your system.
    They help with bowel regularity, and as odd as it seems, they help with diverticulosis (I can't speak for diverticulitis) They are a natural energy food.
    As many said above, just putting them in your water with a squeeze of lemon is fantastic! Pudding and smoothies, wonderful. Recipes are all over the internet.
    We grind ours in the coffee grinder just momentarily before using them in a recipe. It helps them break up faster and are easier to process in your system.
    Enjoy!
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I put them on my yoghurt each morning (along with a whole range of other things) and I add them to muffins/breads that I bake.
    On the rare occasion I have a smoothie I add them to it as well. I just add them to lots of things.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I use them a lot in cooking. We are gluten-free so I use them a lot for thickening and holding things together like meatloaf and meatballs. I use the white seeds in cream sauces where the black ones would look weird. The white ones also look much better if you end walking around all day with one unknowingly stuck in your teeth.