Water or Soda? which do you drink?

Options
I have been drinking water with chuncks of lemon in it, because otherwise Its hard to drink water for me. I feel like I'm drowning or choking on it. I have been drinking just water for the past 3 weeks, no juice, no soda, just water. I felt more hungry and I did not loose as much weight as last month. Last month I lost 9 pounds this month I lost 4. So yesterday I was craving a soda, Diet Mountain dew. I had 3 in fact and guess what? I lost a pound. why? because I'm thinking the carbonation in the soda makes me feel fuller from my belly being bloated. I noticed I didnt eat as much. So I am wondering what everyone else's opionion is. Do you prefer water or soda and why?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I drink both. I usually start my day out drinking water and then around lunch time I have a Diet soda. After that, it's usually back to water unless I'm feeling like another soda would hit the spot.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    No preference. I generally drink both during the day.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why do I have to pick? I drink water, soda, and lots and lots of coffee
  • hipsterkhris
    hipsterkhris Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink juice (and even rarer I drink soda).
    A few months ago I started using those water sweeteners (like Mio) to try to start enjoying water. That helped, then the next thing I new I wasn't as fond of juice (most juices are insanely sweet to my taste buds now) and I try not to drink soda. I never get cravings for it or anything, it's not a fight. I just don't like it so much anymore.

The only juice I like (if any) is Snapple and Brisk.
  • dcamell
    dcamell Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is guilt free. Though I'm not proud to admit it, I drink over two liters a day, and maybe two glasses of water. Always have, and likely will for a long time. The nigh ninety pounds I've lost speaks for itself.

I'm diabetic, so sweet pop has never been an option, I imagine that'd have a considerable impact.
  • a057085
    a057085 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have been told, "Don't drink soda, drink water its better for you." So that is why I tried just water to see what the outcome would be. I'm glad I did that experiment.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,566 Member
    Options
    I drink water (at least 104oz daily), coffee, tea, diet a&w rootbeer, fat-free or 1% milk, beer, club soda with lime.... the list goes on and on.

Weight loss is certainly not linear. You can't drink a diet soda, lose a pound (weight fluctuates day to day anyway) and conclude that therefore, drinking water slows your weight loss and diet soda speeds it up. No correlation let alone causation.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I very rarely drink "straight" water. Everything you drink is primarily water, so drink up your beverage of choice! I have been cutting down on caffeine so I'm only having one soda a day but I always add Mio or Crystal Light to my water. You don't have to choke it down plain if you don't like it.
  • a057085
    Options
    Awesome job. Thanks for you input.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I drink water and the 4C Totally Light drink mixes. I don't necessarily have anything against diet soda, other than its expense and propensity to make me belch. Those were enough for me to give it up a long time ago.

I don't think the Mountain Dew vs. water had any relation to how much the scale moved, either. EDIT: It's possible that the caffeine suppressed your appetite slightly, but that's about it.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink soda anymore... and very limited if I do. I do drink water, mim. of 64 oz. a day I also flavor all my water too with packs like Crystal Light although I use the Walmart brand of flavors.

BUT I also do add in a glass or two of sparkling flavored water (like Pure Zero) gives you the carbonation that you miss not having soda pop and nice flavors, I typically have these at the dinnertime at the table to kind of dress it up lol...
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to transition from soda to water... but now that I have I feel so much better.
    Haven't had a soda in forever and plain water is all I drink now. I feel that natural foods are better for your body anyways.
    Needs to be filtered, can't drink the stuff from the tap.
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have always been a water drinking (15-20 glasses a day without trying). I am not a big soda drinker, but also don't drink any sugar-free beverages because aspartame triggers my migraines. I do agree with you on the carbonation, though - I love seltzer water and enjoy the bubbliness.

Beer, on the other hand, is never getting cut out.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking Coke 7 months ago and now I am on water or tea. Lately I got myself an infused and now I drink infused water or just still water.
    Stef.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i start my day w a nice big glass of ice cold water. I then drink one glass of water before i drink each can of diet soda...and i drink 3-6 a day. Some days i might not drink one, not cause i want to cut them out but just cause i didn't want one.
  • a057085
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This really helps.
  • ROBINSTL67
    ROBINSTL67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drink plain ice water (from the tap) all day long, because I love it. Sometimes I'll throw some lemon in just to switch it up. I feel a lot better than when I used to drink Diet Pepsi all day. But to each their own. Do what works for you.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I tried for years to find a soda that I liked. Finally dawned on me I don't really like soda that much. I have a 7up ten with a slash of juice in it a couple of times a week. That subs in for the mixed drinks I used to have. If I had to give it up I could. Plain water for me all the time.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't like room temp water, I sometimes will gag on it - and often just can't keep it down.

I LOVE iced water, and water with lemon or both. Absolutely wonderful - but I do get on better with soda, particular diet ginger beer is what I have, I'm trying to ensure that water dominates my liquid intake.
  • zharptichka
    zharptichka Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I generally drink water or milk or tea. This is mostly because I despise sugar-free anything. Artificial sweeteners leave a terrible taste in my mouth. I've been known to throw up if I keep sugar free gum in my mouth for too long. So with diet soda out, I have to have enough calories save to have the real thing and most of the time, there are other things I'd rather spend the calories on (i.e. chocolate).