Weird Snacks

Options
BeardedYoung
BeardedYoung Posts: 229 Member
I love weird food and sometimes just trying something new can help me and a little odd can satisfy me more than a same ole same ole snack. Anyone have any weird go-to snacks?

Black Cherry Pickles *These are my new obsession.
Wasabi Peas
Pickled Okra
Hard Boiled Eggs w/ Sriracha

Anyone... Anyone...

Replies

• joycedomingo1
    Options
    Not quite a snack, but more of a meal I guess.

Spiralized zucchinini sauteed in olive oil. Add tbsp of peanut butter, tsp of soy sauce and as much Sriracha sauce as you want. Sometimes I add two eggs.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think wasabi peas are that odd - I see them pretty much everywhere around here. I prefer wasabi chickpeas - harder to find but tastier to me. Other than those I do like some odd fruits - dragonfruit, starfruit, things like that. I have to say that I am intrigued by the black cherry pickles - and never had a hard boiled egg with siracha but might have to do that with dinner today (usually have a couple hard boiled eggs with dinner).
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I love weird food and sometimes just trying something new can help me and a little odd can satisfy me more than a same ole same ole snack. Anyone have any weird go-to snacks?

Wasabi Peas
    Pickled Okra

Anyone... Anyone...

I love pickled okra. It isn't weird. It's delicious.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Wasabi Peas
    Pickled Okra

Anyone... Anyone...

I love wasabi peas, and anything pickled (and hot sauce) :love: I think I have the tastebuds of a drunken sailor, lol!

I love sardines and smoked fish (or other creatures of sea) packed in little tins. If it's weird, and potentially stinky, I'm sure going to eat it. Preferably with saltines and a glass of milk. I gross out my family sometimes :sick:
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese on toast. Oh and sriracha on everythang!!!
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

Wasabi Peas
    Pickled Okra

Anyone... Anyone...

I used to dip boiled eggs into mustard. Now I have an addiction to golden peppercinis. There's got to be something better than high calorie nuts. I'm looking for ideas too. Hmmm, pickled okra.
    Sriracha goes well on so many things...
    black cherry pickles...have to look that one up
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Those seaweed snack packs, not bad on cals but high in sodium so I don't get them often. Really good snack though.
  • BeardedYoung
    BeardedYoung Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Black Cherry Pickles - Tried these at Famous Dave's the waiter saw that we were enjoying them so much he told us how to make them. So here you go -

Baby Dill Pickles - 1 Jar (pint)
    1 Cup of Sugar - Obviously I used Splenda equivalent
    Black Cherry Kool-Aid - 1 envelope

Empty the Pickle juice into a mixing bowl and stir in sweetener and Kool-Aid
    Fill Pickle jar back up with pickled Kool-Aid mix
    Let sit at least 2 days in fridge (if you can)
    Enjoy!
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Banana peppers with cheddar cheese. You DID say weird. It's the slightly sweet juiciness of the pepper juxtaposed against the tang of the cheddar. Yum. Also, a dab cottage cheese on a rosemary olive oil Triscuit. Good stuff. :drinker:

ETA: How could I forget corn tortilla chips with Havarti cheese? Seriously - I even got my parents hooked on this one. Not melted, mind you. Fresh.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Most people think that the fact I mix cottage and baked beans together (equal amounts), then if chips are available I will use the mixture as a dip.
    At Mexican restaurants I mix together my side of re-fried beans and Spanish rice, then dip the tortilla chips in it.

lol I guess i just like to dip things
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chocolate frosty and fries any-one! Also is anyone else annoyed they put out vanilla flavor? All my life it was just chocolate and then 8 years ago they made vanilla available, and it took me forever to get used to saying "I want a chocolate frosty" instead of just saying "frosty" lol
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Granny Smith apples dipped in Sabra onion yogurt dip. I discovered this when I replaced crackers with apples pears and veggies when my parents served a cheese board. Brie is also excellent on a thin slice of apple, Stilton on a cherry tomato, etc.
    Pickled okra, asparagus, artichoke hearts yummy.
    Add bamboo shoots in chili oil to tuna or chicken salad along with frozen corn, super yum.
    Smoked oysters on cherry tomato halves spread with light cream cheese, yes it is a complete mess and I eat it with my fingers.
    Celery sticks filled with cucumber yogurt dip wrapped in light bologna.
    Celery dipped in baba ganoush and EVOO
    Any deli ham wrapped around any melon slice, sure I love prosciutto but I don't always have the cash.
    2 slice Hormel precooked bacon nuked for a minute in a paper towel and 17 dark chocolate chips, just alternate bites.
    Any fruit spread with goat cheese
    Cottage cheese mixed with Cavendars Greek seasoning, use raw veg to dip.
    Ice cold buttermilk topped with fresh cracked pepper served with crunchy oatmeal cookies
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Those seaweed snack packs, not bad on cals but high in sodium so I don't get them often. Really good snack though.

I second this, and wasabi peas. Even better-Trader Joes has a seaweed snack pack that is wasabi seasoned :love:
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    A friend tried to convince me that nutritional yeast on popcorn was really good. I finally tried it and it was disgusting. She swears by it though.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    hot pepper jelly and cream cheese on crackers
    pickled garlic
    canned octopus
    sliced daikon radish with tuna tartar dip (flavored with soy, chili sauce, and a little mayo)
    my moms liver pate which she only makes for passover, sadly
    cold canned spinach
    sliced water chestnuts sauteed in a tiny bit of coconut oil and soy sauce
    burnt popcorn
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i love sheep heart but not as a snack and not here in america.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Prickly Pear Bacon Bites

1 slice thick-cut bacon ........... 70 cal
    1 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt ...... 7 cal
    2 tsp prickly pear cactus jelly .. 23 cal

Cook and drain bacon, rip into 4 pieces. Spoon some greek yogurt onto each piece and top with prickly pear jelly.
    A sweet & savory 100-calorie snack with some protein - and of course, BACON! Enjoy! (Just invented this today.)
  • k1ttyk1tty
    k1ttyk1tty Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Black Cherry Pickles - Tried these at Famous Dave's the waiter saw that we were enjoying them so much he told us how to make them. So here you go -

Baby Dill Pickles - 1 Jar (pint)
    1 Cup of Sugar - Obviously I used Splenda equivalent
    Black Cherry Kool-Aid - 1 envelope

Empty the Pickle juice into a mixing bowl and stir in sweetener and Kool-Aid
    Fill Pickle jar back up with pickled Kool-Aid mix
    Let sit at least 2 days in fridge (if you can)
    Enjoy!

Does it just taste like koolaide pickles? I'm having a hard time imagining that.
  • meowmisu
    meowmisu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Not quite a snack, but more of a meal I guess.

Spiralized zucchinini sauteed in olive oil. Add tbsp of peanut butter, tsp of soy sauce and as much Sriracha sauce as you want. Sometimes I add two eggs.
    this actually sounds delicious- like cold peanut noodles from chinese takeout!!
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My new favorite:

1/2 c fat free plain yogurt
    scoop of chocolate protein powder
    1 packet of effervescent drink mix (like EmergenC or Trader Joe's Effervescent Orange)

Mix it up and wait a few minutes.

It tastes like chocolate-orange mousse (or whatever your drink mix flavor was). Great dessert with tons of protein, few carbs and 180 calories.