Do you guys have problems with slow weight loss?

Options
Slow and steady wins the race!! I've always been one to yo yo diet, usually trying fad or extreme diets but I FINALLY gave in and just decided to change my lifestyle. I eat a clean diet, only processed food VERY RARELY, but I still give myself some room to eat out because let's face it....everything I've tried eating out still has a lot of sodium or SOMETHING in it. Even though I'm exercising enough and eating about 1400 calories a day I still lose weight at a VERY SLOW PACE. Anyway to speed it up just a tad bit? I'm not trying to be in a hurry because it's a lifestyle not a diet, but i'm sure I can lose at least a little faster because this is going WAY too slow!! I'm losing maybe a ib or 2 a month!!

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You've got 15lbs to go. The less you have to lose, the slower the loss is. But if you are still losing, even if 0.2-0.5lbs a week..that's still a loss, so I don't see the problem.
  • CloudyMao
    CloudyMao Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Slow progress is still progress, it's working so there's no need to really change up what you're doing at all.

After my initial drop of 70lbs in 7 months I have been going very slowly, around the same rate as you infact - but it's still bringing me closer all the time. Try to learn to be patient with yourself, it all takes time anyway. You've got plenty of time to take too! I would start worrying if you aren't dropping any weight for a month/two months, then start seeing what you can change up.

Things that i've found work for me to go a little faster include, drinking a shed load of water over 1-2 days (still eating enough, though it's difficult coz you feel full) it seems that flushes out lots of water weight. - Eating a LOT of fibre, like foods that have very low net carbs, like avocado. And also - again this is what works for me! - No cardio. Now I love a little cardio, so i'm not hating on it. but I seem to retain less water if I just weightlift.
  • invisiblelo
    invisiblelo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I lose on average 2lb a month but the scale is going in the right direction and I am not always hungry etc etc. I am also on 1400 a day and it seems to be working at the moment. I do get frustrated sometimes when the scale doesnt budge in 3 weeks but hey-ho!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Slow is fine by me. I went the whole month of June and only lost---wait for it--0.2lbs, lol. But...I did what I know I have to do (moderate deficit--cardio for heart health--strength train for muscle retention), so I still "win". I've only about 15lbs left to lose, so if it takes me a half year to get close to that, I'm okay with it. As long as what I'm doing is sustainable, enjoyable, and healthy.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I think fast and steady actually wins more races than slow and steady.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Slow weight loss can be contributed to by not having the daily recommended daily allowance for iodine in your intake. I know we only need about half a teaspoon over a life time but this mineral is vital for so many functions within our bodies. I think the RDA is 150 microns which is very little. It is in dark green veg, milk, eggs, most fish if not all. Please look into it you could save yourselves many problems. My point is only to ensure your body can function as it was intended to. Keeping to a deficit as I have for years too many years can cause this mineral to be left off or too far down the long list of minerals which should be included.
  • fatasfack
    fatasfack Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, that's pretty slow. I started losing weight quickly when I stopped eating in restuarants. The portion sizes vary at restaurants and since you don't know the weight of foods it's almost impossible to determine how many calories are in your food. Try eating only from Whole Foods for a few months and only eating things that are weighed and have a label that indicates their caloric content.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Yep. It seems like most people who have been at this as long as I have are already at their goals. I came back in January and am down 30 pounds since then. But I know it's probably because I live my life. I have cheat days, I indulge sometimes, I'm doing what I'm doing as a lifestyle change, not a diet. So I'm okay with it coming off slowly, as long as it's coming off.