Rowing machine and cross trainer

Options
Hi everyone, I don't go to the gym because of anxiety problems but I have a rowing machine and a cross trainer at home that I go on often. Are these good machines that can help with weight loss and fitness if used regularly? I've been using them nearly every day now for the past week. They're my two favourite exercise machines. I typically spend half an hour on the rowing machine and half an hour on the cross trainer. Will these help me tone up?

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I don't go to the gym because of anxiety problems but I have a rowing machine and a cross trainer at home that I go on often. Are these good machines that can help with weight loss and fitness if used regularly? I've been using them nearly every day now for the past week. They're my two favourite exercise machines. I typically spend half an hour on the rowing machine and half an hour on the cross trainer. Will these help me tone up?

Any exercise, done consistently with effort, is "good." Get your heart rate up, do interval training or steady rate, as long as you do it with effort and get your heart rate up. Don't trust the calorie counts as accurate, but do log your workouts. "Tone up" is an illusion, it just means (realistically) "lose body fat" which, when paired with a good diet, you will reduce body fat percentage and your muscle definition will be more visible. There isn't really a right or wrong way to go about it. The best exercise is the one you do.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    rowing machines are fantastic whole-body workouts - good choice!

30 minutes can be quite boring though, if you want some ideas for different training sessions, I use http://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/wod (you might have to translate them a bit if you've got a different type of machine!) - either that or use a heart-rate monitor.

enjoy!
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    erging (rowing) is one of the best workouts you can do for your body. It is an AMAZING total body workout - especially if you do it correctly.
  • CherylMatthews66
    CherylMatthews66 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yeah I really love the rowing machine, I go on there more than the cross trainer. I'm glad to know that it is a good workout :happy: