Hurt Back -- What Now?

Options
So I had been doing p90x and was seeing great results. Actually starting to enjoy it as well... However, I just hurt my back in a motorcycle accident. No broken bones, but a compressed nerve in the back (lower back, lumbar (love handles)). This makes p90x impossible. I cannot run either. I don't want to stop working out though.. Anyone else have back issues and able to work out? What kinds of things do you do? Please help.

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Do what your doctor tells you and let it heal.
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Just went to urgent care... Only rest and ice. :-(
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

Just went to urgent care... Only rest and ice. :-(

If it keeps aggravating you I hope you'll follow up with regular doctor. Spinal injuries are nothing to fool with.
  • Grumpybearthatneedsanap
    Options
    Well i have mobility issues due to a back injury.do what your doctor says of course but i do chair exercises with resistence bands and walk when i can.probably not what your looking for though ;)
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My pain is a bit different. My sciatica flared up practically making it impossible to even get out of bed, wasn't able to workout for about a month. My back is better right at the moment. My sciatica is from the nerve and also from Spinal Stenosis (narrowing of the spine). No medicine helps me not even muscle relaxers but what does is doing certain stretches. I did that before I started working out again and everytime I work out now I always do these stretches afterwards.

Your situation is definitely different and if it was me I would want to see my primary before I started any workout regimen.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Adapting your workout to injuries that take time to heal are just a part of working out. Find out from your doctor what you CAN do and do that. It may not be as intense as P90X, but it'll help keep you in better shape than if you do nothing. If you can't run or jump, then walk or swim. Most injuries still permit walking, just try to walk fast and/or far to keep the calorie burn going, if nothing else. This too shall pass.
  • CatieBeth85
    CatieBeth85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Each injury is different, just as each person is different. You'll quickly learn your limits and learn your body if you haven't already. I herniated 3 disks about 10 years ago. I was unable to walk for quite some time, and my only ride was a wheelchair. Doctor's suggested and highly recommended surgery. I recoiled from them. (I am NOT telling you to do this! I am only saying what worked for me!)
    I went to an amazing chiropractor who led me to another amazing guy, an acupuncturist, and Chinese Medicine man. The results were NOT quick, and I could do very little the first few months. As the acupuncture and chiropractic kicked in, I began to walk in my neighborhood. My husband had to help me many, many of those days.
    It was a long and painful process.
    Today I am happy to say I'm walking fine, back to running sometimes, and doing YOGA, which I think is the biggest factor in strengthening my back and healing my mind from the years I could do nothing!
    All that to say, don't take NO for an answer! If one thing doesn't work, keep going til you find what does.
    Trust your body to heal. I love that you are reaching out on such a cool site for help and ideas. MFP is a great resource for people in all stages of health.
    Enjoy the journey!
    Cate
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    sorry about your injury, take medical advice and hope you feel better soon!
    i carry a lot of tension in my upper back neck and shoulders - recently it got so bad that it threw my lower back out too. regular massage and stretching several times a day along with daily yoga and gentle walking helped get it better. Im now back to doing regular classes like pump and cxworx without any pain touch wood! bracing my abs whilst exercising helps protect lower back.
    good luck!
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess I am just feeling disappointed since I was doing so well with exercising. I didn't want to lose my motivation, etc, etc. Up till now I just always seemed to have an excuse and really I never did. Now this?! My biggest issue now is eating less calories to maintain a deficit, I was working out so much I was able to eat more.

Anyway, crying over. I am going to do what I can without going overboard: walking, resistance bands, minor lifting should be OK (at least from what I have tried). Thanks again.
  • cwainwright12
    Options
    Keep going. Good luck
  • CatieBeth85
    CatieBeth85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You'll get stronger and stronger as you go!
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to read about your injury. Back injuries are terrible. I have a crushed disk and can completely relate to having a restricted exercise routine. Of course, do what your doctor recommends. I use an elliptical as it reduces impact on my back. Even working out on a treadmill can cause a flair in my back injury, so I'm always careful about what I choose to do when it comes to working out.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My pain is a bit different. My sciatica flared up practically making it impossible to even get out of bed, wasn't able to workout for about a month. My back is better right at the moment. My sciatica is from the nerve and also from Spinal Stenosis (narrowing of the spine). No medicine helps me not even muscle relaxers but what does is doing certain stretches. I did that before I started working out again and everytime I work out now I always do these stretches afterwards.

Your situation is definitely different and if it was me I would want to see my primary before I started any workout regimen.

I have sciatica issues too. If the nerve is pinched I am in horrible pain and I can't workout. I will do my stretches if able. I did Pilates to strengthen my core and have found a studio which offers free class.

Until a doctor can diagnose you, I would focus more on diet which is a key to weight loss and maintenance. Rest and let your body heal...
  • bonmomi
    bonmomi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After 2 spinal surgeries I learned two things; walk slowly and get in the pool! Even when bed seemed much better because the pain is exhausting, it is a vicious cycle. Start slow and get in that pool. Good luck to you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You can still lose or maintain weight without exercise. I had to take 9 months off from exercise due to illness and surgery. I stuck to my calorie goal for maintenance and stayed the same weight give or take fluctuations!

Feel better!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you have insurance? If so (or if you can afford it without insurance), request a referral for physical therapy. I hurt my back a couple of months ago and was afraid it meant no more lifting. My physio has helped me a ton.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I have sciatica issues too. If the nerve is pinched I am in horrible pain and I can't workout. I will do my stretches if able. I did Pilates to strengthen my core and have found a studio which offers free class.

Until a doctor can diagnose you, I would focus more on diet which is a key to weight loss and maintenance. Rest and let your body heal...

Elderberry supplements give some people w/sciatica relief, because it reduces nerve inflammation. One of the reasons, way back when, elderly people used to drink elderberry tea or wine. I haven't used it for sciatica, although, as I said, many report it gives them relief. But I have used it to calm overly sensitive teeth and avoid root canals. You can usually find it at most Vitamin Shoppes, or supplement stores.