Can anyone tell me...

Options
... approximately how many extra calories I'll have burned from wearing ankle weights (2.5lbs each) all day? I've not done any exercise today, just worn them while doing my usual thing!

Also, I tend to exercise at night when my kids have gone to bed. Is it better to have dinner before or after exercise?
Thanks in advance :) xxx

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how much the weights would add to your daily. Weightlifting doesn't add much for calorie burn, so personally I wouldn't even count it, maybe consider it insurance for underestimates on calorie consumption.

As for exercising and eating times. It really depends on how hard I am working (I am only speaking for my own experience here). If I am doing an aggressive cardio workout, I can't eat for a few hours before, or I will be sick and nauseated throughout the whole thing. A light snack about an hour before is the best I can manage and a bigger meal after suits me just fine. If I am doing strength training, I am okay to eat closer to the time of the workout.

Play around with it and see what works for you. Your body will tell you quick enough. Best of luck.
  • tubbytwinmummy
    tubbytwinmummy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply :)
    That's a good point about the exercise. I do tend to feel sluggish and can't work as hard after a meal, so will try eating afterwards. I think I just liked the idea of burning off dinner before going to bed? :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't believe that it makes a difference for the meal timing. I often have something before bed. I can't sleep if my stomach is growling. If you are really worried about it, plan to have more of your calories through the day and save enough for an after workout snack. To be honest, I feel that having a balanced meal after a workout would be beneficial for all those muscles after working so hard. Play around with it to see how you feel.

Here is a link with some great information in it, if you are interested, it is well worth the read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • tubbytwinmummy
    tubbytwinmummy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much, I'll try having a meal afterwards :) will probably be more likely to do more exercise if I know I can eat after! That link looks like it'll be really helpful, I'll have a proper look tomorrow. Thanks again for your replies xx