Anyone else not sure about Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred?

Options
Ok, I don't claim to be knowledgeable at all in fitness, but I have just done the 30 day shred level 1 for the first time. I personally have mixed feelings. I felt like I got a good workout and there was one bit I couldn't do like the push ups bit, so it will give me something to work to.... but I kind of feel like I've not had such a great workout like my usual dvds. I felt like my legs and bum (trouble zones) didn't feel too worked out either. I normally do the Davina workouts (UK) and feel more exhausted in fact after most of the other dvds. BUT, I know this one has had fab reviews, great results and people swear by it. I just don't know what to think now!!! If I do this dvd every day will I get the results? Thanks for reading x

Replies

• julest25
    julest25 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I found it was the day after that I knew I'd worked out. I personally prefer Davina too - have you got her new one, Body Buff? That really works you! At the moment though I am in my third week doing Chalean Extreme - now that really does work your muscles! And there is a def improvement in my legs, bum and arms/shoulders - the tummy is coming along also!
  • I just completed Day 7 of the 30 Day Shred - still on level 1 but can do pretty much all of it, except still doing pushups on my knees. I definitely feel more toned and can see the improvement in my ability to do the DVD. I will move up to level 2 on day 11 - interested to see what that is like.
    I like this DVD a lot because it fits into my schedule (ie I don't have to get up earlier than 5:45 to fit it into my day) and I feel if I really push myself doing the exercises (and use 5lb weights for now) I get a good workout. For me, anything that I can motivate myself to do every day and that doesn't take up too much time and that makes me sweat (which this does!) works for me. I am hoping that at the end of 30 days I will see enough of an improvement to maybe consider doing P90X - but that is a much bigger time commitment every day!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Personally I never liked Jillian Michaels...so I'm unsure about her videos. I'm hooked and obsessed with Tony Horton's workouts. I'm currently doin' P90 ( Power 90 )...the one before P90X ( the killer lol ). I guess it just depends on who you like, and what you can do...I can't do a push up to save my life either. As for legs & bum area - have you tried 'squats'...Maybe go online and google and research videos that focus on legs & bum area. As my Husband says 'Things take time - have patience' ... I hope 'real people' on MFP have done this Jillian Michaels video so they can share the 'real life' stories, not just the promotional ones you see on tv...best wishes xo
  • morawjo
    morawjo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy "Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred"...I like that it is only about 25 minutes long...and the first time I did it...I also had a hard time with the pushups...but I'm on Day 4 now...and yesterday I made it through all of the pushups without stopping...so my endurance is improving. The first time I tried the workout (a few weeks ago)...I found that I didn't feel it was much of a workout when the 20-25 minutes were over...but I REALLY felt it the next day. I couldn't walk for a few days...lol. I did it for a few days right before Christmas...but then stopped because of Christmas and New Years and tons of food etc. getting in the way. So...I've restarted it now...with my sister...and I'm already feeling a difference after only 3 days. I want to do it religiously for 30 days to see if I notice results. For someone that truly hates (and I put a huge emphasis on hates) exercise...this DVD seemed perfect for me...because I knew it was short...and would get my butt off the couch doing something for at least 20 minutes per day.
  • laineylee
    Options
    I used to do Jillian's 30 day shred and was always frustrated with myself. I also didn't like so much jumping around, so, one day I tried Leslie Sansone DVD's and have never gone back. I started at just under 200lb's in March last yr, and by the end of August I was 147 (I put some on while working a rigorous seasonal job and Christmas combined) eating right and doing leslie Sansone DVD's.

Im back with leslie now, even though I own a few Jillian a few Bob, a few Biggest Loser DVD's, nothing compares to being able to do Leslie Sansone DVD's and do them with power and 110% effort.
  • Lynnah
    Lynnah Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just got the dvd yesterday too, and this morning I did the second workout of level 1. I felt a bit like you after the first one, as in I didn't feel so exhausted as I have done in the past (I tried one of my friend's Davina's dvds too). However, I can still definitely feel it in my chest (argh push ups...) and bum, so I think it's doing the job! I like the 3/2/1, 30days etc. structure too, and I reckon that if I do this for the 30 days I'll see a difference.

It's getting my heart rate up for 20 mins, so I bet it's doing us both some good :). Keep at it!
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to up your weights. I still do my 30 Day Shred workouts occationally after doing them for a year. I use 8lb weights with it and I still feel the burn.
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    How do you figure out calories burnt?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    It's only a 150 cal burn for me for the full 26 minutes so I neglect it for high-caloric cardio burns like Turbo Jam and the elliptical. Her stretches are odd, to the point that even an un-certified high school gym teacher would not have their kids do it for fear of injury. Music is bad + she's not properly certified, I think it’s Toni the trainer on here that has all those details, I no longer have them all typed up.

That being said Davina is funny! Burned that from the internet and it’s like a typical '80’s aerobic video "and one, and 2, and 3 and 4" drove me nuts! Plus it was too slow moving, need more energy, higher impact to really be worth my time.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to up your weights. I still do my 30 Day Shred workouts occationally after doing them for a year. I use 8lb weights with it and I still feel the burn.

It’s not that you don't feel it, some aspects are good for building muscle especially for those of us (myself included) who know the value of building muscle but yet still focus on cardio.

It’s the fact that her stretching is awkward, the constant repeating of "don't phone it in" is unbelievably annoying and there is no real music to motivate you or make it seem at least kind-of fun, just some sort of computer generated midi file, what is this, 1997? Ha!

In addition to the fact that Natalie the high-impact girl doesn’t look thin or built at all. You should use fit people to motivate others in a video shouldn’t you?

It’s worth what it costs, $9 so it has its place for those starting out not wanting to invest $150ish into P90X.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I like it eprsonally. Not going to lie, i was doubtful at first..and it seems easy but it does get harder, and just the repetition helps..keep at it for a couple of days and see what you think..
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Its not really my style of workout but I love knowing how long I have to survive each portion. I like the 3-2-1 method. As far as "feeling it" I noticed some soreness the next day. And who doesn't hate the dreaded push-ups, they are a necessary evil but I don't have to like them. Overall I felt it was a good cardio experience if nothing else.
  • DreamingOfSize10_UK
    Options
    Wow, I tell you what, I am always overwhelmed how helpful and supportive everyone is on here. Thanks for all your replies on this, every one of them is so helpful for me. Going to keep it up for the 30 days alongside some extra cardio, but some valid points, recommendations in this post. Thanks so much x
    I found it was the day after that I knew I'd worked out. I personally prefer Davina too - have you got her new one, Body Buff? That really works you! At the moment though I am in my third week doing Chalean Extreme - now that really does work your muscles! And there is a def improvement in my legs, bum and arms/shoulders - the tummy is coming along also!

Yes love Body Buff, love them all in fact. I always end up going back to them from time to time! Have looked up Chalean Extreme, looks intensive and what you need, a definite must, think I will get that for Feb.
    I used to do Jillian's 30 day shred and was always frustrated with myself. I also didn't like so much jumping around, so, one day I tried Leslie Sansone DVD's and have never gone back. I started at just under 200lb's in March last yr, and by the end of August I was 147 (I put some on while working a rigorous seasonal job and Christmas combined) eating right and doing leslie Sansone DVD's.

Im back with leslie now, even though I own a few Jillian a few Bob, a few Biggest Loser DVD's, nothing compares to being able to do Leslie Sansone DVD's and do them with power and 110% effort.

The Leslie Sansone ones look great. I probably would have overlooked these as they are not as in your face on Amazon as some of the other ones, but they look right up my street. Going to order them soon.
    I like it eprsonally. Not going to lie, i was doubtful at first..and it seems easy but it does get harder, and just the repetition helps..keep at it for a couple of days and see what you think..

Yes, I think you're right, need to keep at it. Have to be honest, I can feel it working already. God help me in the morning!

Very valid point! Haven't a clue what weight they are the novice that I am!!!! Didn't think of that, will weight them and see.