Stupid Knees

I was back running for six months with no problems. I decided to train for a half and still no problems running up to eight miles for my "long" run. Then I ran trails a couple times on vacation and came home and did the eight miles and started feeling twinges in my knees. I laid off and bought new good shoes after a consult at Roadrunner. I also added some strength training that's supposed to support good knee function.

As of now, if I run more than a couple times a week or more than about 5k, my knees start to hurt. I am SO FRUSTRATED!

I appreciate input on how to banish the knee pain and also confirmation that this isn't going to be a chronic problem.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Where on your knee does it hurt, and what type of pain is it?

Is one knee more painful than the other?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Are you foam rolling your quads and IT band? How's your hydration and electrolytes? Any tightness through hips or calves?
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    I started cycling last month, my knees are doing MUCH better. I've read that biking helps build muscle in your knees...my running has definitely gotten easier.

Good luck!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member

It's bilateral, and it's kind of diffuse around the knee caps. Maybe mostly a sensation under the knee cap but a little bit of ITB sensation also on the sides when I'm actually running. The lingering pain when I stop running is related to the knee cap.
  • Jlennhikes
    Are you foam rolling your quads and IT band? How's your hydration and electrolytes? Any tightness through hips or calves?

I've added some stretching and strength training that I've heard is good for ITB, but no foam roller. The rest of the body feels good. I sometimes get a small amount of lower back twinge on long runs.
  • Jlennhikes
    I started cycling last month, my knees are doing MUCH better. I've read that biking helps build muscle in your knees...my running has definitely gotten easier.

Good luck!

I think I'll add that since I have to stay mostly with the gym while the knees hurt. I usually do some weights and elliptical.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member

It's bilateral, and it's kind of diffuse around the knee caps. Maybe mostly a sensation under the knee cap but a little bit of ITB sensation also on the sides when I'm actually running. The lingering pain when I stop running is related to the knee cap.

Sounds like "runner's knee" might be the culprit. Particularly if your job has you seated all day, you get tight, weak hamstrings and looser quads, so the knee cap is being pulled to the outside of the knee every time you flex the leg (running or not). The overly tight hamstrings may also explain your low back twinges.

These two articles may give you some ideas: http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/runners-knee
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/hip-weakness-and-knee-pain

Good luck!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member

Good luck!

Yep, I have a severed ligament and my ortho insisted that I bicycle to strengthen the knee.

Edited to fix typo.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member

Sounds like "runner's knee" might be the culprit. Particularly if your job has you seated all day, you get tight, weak hamstrings and stronger quads, so the knee cap is being pulled to the outside of the knee every time you flex the leg (running or not). The overly tight and proportionally weaker hamstrings may also explain your low back twinges.

These two articles may give you some ideas: http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/runners-knee
    http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/hip-weakness-and-knee-pain

Good luck!

I agree this sounds like a tightness issue. I start getting twinges and pains everywhere if I don't carefully pay attention. One important thing to keep in mind, just because the pain is showing up in your knee doesn't mean that's the only area getting too tight, I often find if I fix just the one area, I'll start getting issues somewhere else soon after. I would highly recommend looking in to foam rolling and myofascial release and make sure that you are using a stretching and foam rolling program that works everything from the hips/lower back on down.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Do your knee joints feel hot? It could be inflammation. Ice them. Or even better, since it's summer, take an icy bath!
    You may want to consider some natural anti-inflammatories,
    Vit C
    Curcumin Extract
    Willow bark extract
    Omega 3 oil
    There are many many more.
  • Jlennhikes

Sounds like "runner's knee" might be the culprit. Particularly if your job has you seated all day, you get tight, weak hamstrings and looser quads, so the knee cap is being pulled to the outside of the knee every time you flex the leg (running or not). The overly tight hamstrings may also explain your low back twinges.

Good luck!
    [/quote]

Thanks a lot. I'll check it out. I do work seated all day.
  • Jlennhikes

Sounds like "runner's knee" might be the culprit. Particularly if your job has you seated all day, you get tight, weak hamstrings and stronger quads, so the knee cap is being pulled to the outside of the knee every time you flex the leg (running or not). The overly tight and proportionally weaker hamstrings may also explain your low back twinges.

Good luck!

I agree this sounds like a tightness issue. I start getting twinges and pains everywhere if I don't carefully pay attention. One important thing to keep in mind, just because the pain is showing up in your knee doesn't mean that's the only area getting too tight, I often find if I fix just the one area, I'll start getting issues somewhere else soon after. I would highly recommend looking in to foam rolling and myofascial release and make sure that you are using a stretching and foam rolling program that works everything from the hips/lower back on down.

I will pay more attention to this. I am highly motivated to get past this. I watched a few videos about ITB stretching/foam rolling. I guess I need to spend more money and get a foam roller. Thanks for the tip!
  • Jlennhikes
    Do your knee joints feel hot? It could be inflammation. Ice them. Or even better, since it's summer, take an icy bath!
    You may want to consider some natural anti-inflammatories,
    Vit C
    Curcumin Extract
    Willow bark extract
    Omega 3 oil
    There are many many more.

Thanks. The pain has only just started lasting past when I stop the activity, so I'm assuming there's inflammation there. I'm doing a small amount of NSAIDs, but I'm happy to try the natural stuff.