Pain in side when walking fast/running

Options
:cry:

So this is probably something fairly easy to fix... or common, I hope.

But whenever I even do a slight jog or I walk fast, I get this bad pain in my right side, under/in my rib cage. Breathing makes it hurt more. Stopping what I'm doing makes the pain go away but as soon as I start again, it begins to hurt.

What is this pain and how can I stop it from happening? I'd like to at least do a mild jog if I can.

Thanks

Replies

• phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't even know what it was called. =)
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Bend over and touch your toes and it should go away.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I haven't had one in ages-they typically plague me when I am running uncomfortably fast, long, or if I ate or drank too much before I run.

I had them a lot when I first started running.

Perhaps they resolve as one's conditioning improves?

How long have you been running and are you in good shape or is this new for you?
  • phoenixx866
    Options
    This is completely new for me. I usually walk 1-2 miles per day and just recently I started jogging about 10 minutes in, then I get hit with this unbearable OUCH on my side and I have to stop.
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    i thought it was water bubbles after you drink a lot of water
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I use to be well over 200 pounds..keep walking until you are under 200 then start running.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bend over and touch your toes and it should go away.

Bend over and touch your toes while you are running?
    That's an accident waiting to happen!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I used to get stitches while i was running.
    I found out that it was because I was slouching while I was running.
    Changing my body position (Head high, shoulders back, breathe right) was enough to do the trick.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    try to keep a steady rhythym of breathing and that should help avoid them. also making sure to breathe into your disphragm and not shallow breaths into the chest
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I get them bad too, but only when I've had anything to eat or drink 3 hours prior. Half the time I just keep going and it goes away.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I use to be well over 200 pounds..keep walking until you are under 200 then start running.

Sorry, I disagree with this. You don't have to be under 200lbs to run, I was 207 when I started running. I know several people that were over 200 when they started.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Sorry, I disagree with this. You don't have to be under 200lbs to run, I was 207 when I started running. I know several people that were over 200 when they started.

Agreed. I am over 200 and run regularly.

OP, are you using a training schedule or are you winging it? If you're winging it you may want to do a set regimen like couch to 5k or one of Hal Higdon's
  • phoenixx866
    Options
    I tend to wing whenever I run. :embarassed: That's more than likely my problem, combined with everything everyone has said. I have dinner/lunch then 20 minutes later decide to go for a run. I think I'll start pre-planning when to run. No wonder there's so many 6am morning runners in my neighborhood. Thank you everyone!!
  • lmaking
    lmaking Posts: 9
    Options
    Funny, it wasn't until I read your post did I remember I used to get stitches when I started running.

Like someone else mentioned, watch your posture, I think that has a lot to do with it. And, if you do get one slow down and do some side stretches, that helped me.

To the person who thinks you have to be under 200 lbs to run, I couldn't disagree more. It's about paying attention to how your body is reacting to this new activity, not how much you weigh. Yesterday, I did 5 km in 29.32 minutes and I'm just over 200 lbs. When I started running I weighed a lot more. But because I stretch regularly, do cross training, and wear proper running shoes (they aren't pretty but they have a good sized toe box) I have no knee pains, and no joint pains.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Try and focus your breathing. You want to breathe in a rhythm and take deep "stomach" breaths. Focus on your stomach when your breathing.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I also disagree - I started running around 230 lbs and down to 217 lbs now. I may not look pretty - it may not be fast, but I won't hold back just because I'm not at some magical number.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am not sure but I remember hearing it has something to do with your diaphragm. A coach I had, had us raise our arm on that side and put our hand behind our shoulder. The stretch seemed to help.
    This could be a bunch of hooey but it worked for me.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I can get a side stitch if I run at 150-160 BPM Heart Rate for too long.. once I slow down to 130 to 140 BPM it goes away. I think it has to do with my conditioning.