Coming back from a serious injury

Options
Juts getting back on the wagon after a somewhat serious head injury last week. I've been afraid to weigh myself because I haven't been able to exercise, although I also haven't had much of an appetite, so maybe the damage isn't so bad. On the downside, my poor appetite has meant that I really can't stomach veggies, so I have not been eating as well as I should. I guess I'm just looking for some supportive words to help me get back on that scale, see how bad the damage is, then get back on track.

Replies

• poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    In just one week I doubt if it will be all that bad. Go ahead and just climb on the scale. But I hope you check with your doctor before you resume you're exercise routine.
  • Bostonsoul
    Bostonsoul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In February I had a serious accident and dislodged my c6 vertebrae and compressed my c5 and c4. I had never known more pain in my life and it left me unable to do anything.
    Even sleep. I spent months on rehab trying to avoid neck surgery. I gained back 18 hard lost pounds but not weighing myself wasn't an option. Regardless of what the scale says it won't change physically exactly how much you weigh..I will just keep you blind to the obvious. You need to do it. Knowledge is power and you have to know the enemy. Weigh yourself and for good or bad...that is fuel to start kicking *kitten* again.
  • rdg536
    rdg536 Posts: 5
    Options
    It's just like the Bostonsoul guy said. You need to know so that you can keep control over your what you can. I also had a really bad injury, L1 fracture, then I had knee surgery about 4 months later, THEN I broke my foot not too long after. The whole time I stayed off the scale, and I ended up gaining a lot of weight. If I had just stayed with it, I could have gotten it back under control and I wouldn't even be on here to write this because I wouldn't be having a problem. One week really isn't too bad, but still just get back up there. YOU are in control.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Get on the scale. The number itself has no meaning. You have already gone through so much healing. You can manage this step.
  • SnatchPosse
    SnatchPosse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind replies. I did get back on the scale, and was not so happy with the results, but I've had three fantastic workouts in the last few days so I feel much better. Also, not to be too graphic, but opiates are notorious for causing constipation, so maybe I didn't just pack on a bunch of fat :)

More importantly, congrats to all of you who have come back from much more serious setbacks. That takes a lot of inner strength.