Can someone recommend me a good documentary

Options
Scumbag_Gil
Scumbag_Gil Posts: 397 Member
So I stayed in tonight, and I would like to watch a good documentary. I've been watching Naked and Afraid & Bizare foods all day :} Does anyone know of any interesting on YouTube or something? Discovery channel, history channel, maybe something on Vice? I'm really open to anything from aliens to something related to the environment. It's all really interesting to me. Blow my mind guys.

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The Diamond Empire is pretty fascinating. All about how diamond prices are kept high through artificial scarcity and marketing. (Trust me its more interesting than I make it sound)

But type "documentary" and anything into youtube and you get some great stuff.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Flight From Death - The Quest For Immortality.

You will never look at things the same way.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Street Paper. My #1 favorite film of all time. Yes, it is even better than Fried Green Tomatoes.
  • CindyLou1707
    CindyLou1707 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Blackfish & the Cove. Hard to watch but mind blowing
  • amandagorder
    amandagorder Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    black fish !!!! DOOOO ITTT
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Jiro Dreams of Sushi
    Oooh I hated that movie.

I really liked Somm, which is about 4 Americans preparing for and taking the Master Sommelier exam. It can be a bit slow at times, but I am all about wine, so I found it fascinating.

Bigger Stronger Faster is a mind-blowing documentary about steroids and body building. If you watch it, you have to look at the wiki for it after and see what happened to all of the people later (i was stunned).

Both of the aforementioned are available on netflix.

Guys and Dolls is a documentary about people who have relationships with their.. 'adult pleasure dolls." Specifically, Real Dolls (brand name). The documentary is on youtube, last i saw.

ETA: i didn't like Jiro Dreams of Sushi because it was very slow and the subtitles were in white instead of the standard yellow. it was very hard to read when white-aproned chefs had white text scrolling across their midsections.
  • amandaschaller28
    Options
    I really like vegucated! Its on netflix and hulu!
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008). Kind of a murder mystery. I really enjoyed it although it's sad.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Street Paper is a film about Nashville's homeless newspaper, The Contributor, chronicling its rise to the #1 street paper in North America. I am featured as one of the stars of the film, along with some of my friends like David and Chris and others. It is a window on the world of homelessness.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Here's a list I watched on (Canadian) Netflix and really enjoyed.

Blackfish
    Vanishing of the Bees
    Inequality for All
    Tent City USA
    The Invisible War,
    Ai Wei Wei: Never Sorry
    Farmageddon
    Happy People
    Chasing Ice
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Well I personally like to watch documentaries on drugs, gangs, and prisons, and crime in general. I find those things very interesting, but you might not think so. They are all over youtube.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    The Other F Word.

The film explores the world of aging punk rock musicians, as they transition into parents and try to maintain the contrast between their anti-authoritarian lifestyle with the responsibilities of fatherhood.

Featured-

Tony Cadena - The Adolescents
    Art Alexakis - Everclear
    Rob Chaos - Total Chaos
    Joe Escalante - The Vandals
    Josh Freese - Session Drummer
    Fat Mike - NOFX
    Flea - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Lars Frederiksen - Rancid
    Matt Freeman - Rancid
    Jack Grisham - TSOL
    Brett Gurewitz - Bad Religion
    Tony Hawk - Pro Skater
    Greg Hetson - Circle Jerks
    Mark Hoppus - blink-182
    Jim Lindberg - Pennywise
    Mike McDermott - Bouncing Souls
    Tim McIlrath - Rise Against
    Mark Mothersbaugh - Devo
    Duane Peters - U.S. Bombs
    Joe Sib - SideOneDummy Records
    Ron Reyes - Black Flag
    Rick Thorne - BMX Rider
  • airbearlover
    airbearlover Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Fat, sick and nearly dead was a good one. It really opens your eyes to how much what we eat can hurt or heal us.
  • MissMCassidy
    MissMCassidy Posts: 445
    Options
    I personally find documentaries about world war 2 captivating but you might not.
    I like:
    "Auschwitz: Inside The Nazi State"
    "Killer at large"(it's about the social and political aspects of the rising obesity epidemic.)
    "Food i.n.c"this movie will change the way you look at your food forever
    The woman who wasn't there
    " Tabloid"
    and
    "Dear Zachary" it's about our (the USA) terrible child-care system a very sad movie