Ate terrible food 2day. and I COULDN'T Be Happier!

So for the past couple weeks I've been working out hard and eating pretty healthy.. I wouldn't call it a diet, as I've been eating "cheat foods" along the way. The thing is I've been paying the price in the gym to make sure I fit them in and keep my weight loss up.

Twice now in a couple of days I've eaten some very bad food choices: Fatburger and Homestyle fish and chips. However I'm happy that I did and I'll tell you why.

I've struggled with crappy and binge eating my entire life. I've never been addicted to anything in my life but food. However, since eating clean for the past two weeks, once ingesting the unhealthy food it made me feel sick and to be honest, I didn't enjoy the eating of it that much either.

The reason that makes me happy is because it's help show me the negativity of that food in terms of how your body handles it. I'm sure I'll continue to struggle with eating healthy, and will continue to fight to keep balance with my food choices, but this has made me realize how much I won't be interested in the super unhealthy foods.

Replies

• Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    Whatever floats your boat. Just don't take my chocolate and cookies away from me.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    i know what you mean. i love food. but there was eating because i liked it. and there was the eating because i was compulsed to and didnt really give a crap.

once you give a crap and fight the compulsion going backward is uncomfortable both physically and mentally.

i like to find alternatives though so i can still eat because i like to. and nothing is forbidden. its just i think about what is worth it and make decisions instead of just what will taste good, what will actually help my energy level and make my body work right, and also taste good.

you have changed your habits and found your old ones were no longer working. thats great. there are often alternatives to the crappy things that serve both the good and good for you purposes.
  • CeltMom
    CeltMom Posts: 3 Member
    I can completely appreciate your position on this. I've been following a diabetic diet for the last 2 weeks (I'm not diabetic, but my husband is, so I promised him we'd do this together), and initially I thought I'd be absolutely miserable. But after going the last 2 weeks of being selective about my carbs and sugar, I found that when I was craving something sweet what I reached for was fruit. I had a piece of chocolate, and it just wasn't the same anymore -- and THAT was shocking to me because I've been a lifelong chocoholic. If anything, I start resenting my daily calorie limits when it tells me I've gone over on sugar because of the fruit, especially with so many amazing summer fruits in season (MANGOES).

I did not expect my empty-calorie sweet cravings to go away, but they have. They just aren't satisfying anymore.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    I don't really believe in "unhealthy" foods. I'm always interested in seeing people prove what makes a food bad for you.
  • Sparky1030
    Sparky1030 Posts: 163
    Archer9304,

I loved your post; don't take my chocolate and cookies! I do believe you were reading my mind. Our whole family are chocoholics and love every bite!!!

I cheated today, big time, and it tasted so good. I know the scale isn't going to be happy, though, but it was worth savoring.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    So for the past couple weeks I've been working out hard and eating pretty healthy.. I wouldn't call it a diet, as I've been eating "cheat foods" along the way. The thing is I've been paying the price in the gym to make sure I fit them in and keep my weight loss up.

Twice now in a couple of days I've eaten some very bad food choices: Fatburger and Homestyle fish and chips. However I'm happy that I did and I'll tell you why.

I've struggled with crappy and binge eating my entire life. I've never been addicted to anything in my life but food. However, since eating clean for the past two weeks, once ingesting the unhealthy food it made me feel sick and to be honest, I didn't enjoy the eating of it that much either.

The reason that makes me happy is because it's help show me the negativity of that food in terms of how your body handles it. I'm sure I'll continue to struggle with eating healthy, and will continue to fight to keep balance with my food choices, but this has made me realize how much I won't be interested in the super unhealthy foods.

I agree-- after 7 months of not eating like a moron, I'm not really interested in most of the junk I used to consume. And if I do have something "bad" (I don't think any food is bad unless you eat 40 lbs. of it), I'm finally able to think about what I'm eating before I eat it. What freedom it is to not stress over lousy foods that always smell better than they taste!
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    I'm noticing the same thing. I went vegan whole foods and gave up sugar. I really don't want to eat meat or dairy. I don't want sugar. Seriously, this is in the 3rd week. How things change.

I see commercials for gooey pizza on TV and I think to myself, "mmm, pizza..." But to actually eat it, not interested. Healthy eating changes things.

I'm going to a Vietnamese restaurant for lunch next week. (Girl date) I don't even want the complimentary fried spring roll. Ick. Things have changed FAST for me.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Whatever floats your boat. Just don't take my chocolate and cookies away from me.

i made chocolate sorbet today. 145 calories per serving no fat and tastes like a freezing cold chocolate truffle. with mint.

nobody will take away my chocolate either. i will find a way.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    What MFP has taught me is that there will always be some people who will happily walk into an AA meeting and say, "What's wrong with Gin? There's no such thing as good drinks or bad drinks. Just make sure you budget your drinks and stay within your Blood Alcohol Level."

If there are folks who, in their current state, need to look at foods in a binary good/bad way, why push them towards doubt? Not everybody is ready to climb on that high horse and make good food decisions everyday. Weight loss is a learning experience, but you don't have to learn everything at once.

Good on you OP for realizing that some food choices are better than others. You learn by struggling, and eventually you'll find that delicate balance.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    What MFP has taught me is that there will always be some people who will happily walk into an AA meeting and say, "What's wrong with Gin? There's no such thing as good drinks or bad drinks. Just make sure you budget your drinks and stay within your Blood Alcohol Level."

If there are folks who, in their current state, need to look at foods in a binary good/bad way, why push them towards doubt? Not everybody is ready to climb on that high horse and make good food decisions everyday. Weight loss is a learning experience, but you don't have to learn everything at once.

Good on you OP for realizing that some food choices are better than others. You learn by struggling, and eventually you'll find that delicate balance.

You can't compare alcohol to food.

Alcohol = Addictive substance(s)
    Food = Neccesity of life and non-addictive
  • Sparky1030
    adowe.

Yes you can compare alcohol to food. Some people are addicted to alcohol and others are addicted to food. I do agree that if you have one of these issues you should seek help. I have a family member who is now 34 years sober and we celebrate his anniversary every May to honor his sobriety. As they say "One Day at a Time." He'd be the 1st person to tell you whether or not it's alcohol, food or drugs that you are in recovery from they still think about it every day. That is powerful to me and I'm so proud that he chooses not to take that drink.
  • Sparky1030
    MrM27,

I like to have something sweet once in a while and my physician said as long as you don't get carried away it's better than going on a binge. If you have a craving for a certain food and eat a certain amount it's fine. Some don't know when to stop; I do.
  • yallllah
    yallllah Posts: 35 Member
    OP, congrats on being happy with the way your body is reacting to your changes! Ignore the people trying to make this about their food choices.