Not losing weight, maybe too few calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Feel good about yourself, Meanie? Were you bullied in school? Get lost!
  • Gloria67648
    Gloria67648 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Things to get: enough sleep. Lots of water. Listen to your own body more than listening to anyone in these forums, including me even. Get some lots of mfp friends. Be patient and kind to yourself
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    You have a Mister Ed face...wouldn't be so critical of others...just sayin'

Not sure who you are directing your posts to - but nobody's facial appearance bears any relevance to this.

You are also likely to get a strike from mods for such comments - just sayin' :smile:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a deficit tou will lose weight.

I believe you're not eating at a deficit.

There are no fat people in a famine.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a deficit tou will lose weight.

I believe you're not eating at a deficit.

There are no fat people in a famine.

But OP HAS lost 5lb in 3 weeks - she just hasn't lost in the last week.

That is just normal fluctuation to me - the normal non linear pattern of weight loss.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    people are not actually reading OP's post.

her issue is that she lost quickly at first and then weight loss slowed down. this is a normal pattern but she doesnt know this. she wants to know if it is because of not eating for the last few weeks, but its because it is NORMAL

she only needs to be patient and figure out how quickly bodies should lose weight, and not expect every week to be a dramatic change and some wont be any at all.

people have high expectations of what will happen when they change their lifestyle.

OP. you need to set a calorie goal that is realistic and is a calorie deficit but not starvation. you can find threads about how to do that. it can be confusing and you may have to try a few different level before you find one that gets consistent results.

and that number is probably higher than you think at your weight. and if you eat them you will still lose weight. as long as you dont eat more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I understand all the points about accurate logging - but I don't think they apply here.

OP has lost 5lb in 3 weeks ( 15 days + 1 week if I have read correctly.)

I just think she is panicking because the last week showed no loss - but this is normal, no cause for concern. People often lose an amount, in this case 5 lb, and then have 1 week of nothing or even slight gain.
    This doesn't mean the person is over eating, it just means weight loss is not exactly linear.

I think OP needs to continue as she is for a month before any conclusions can be drawn.

This. It's especially true since she was doing the low cal thing before starting MFP, so--if I'm reading right--the 5 lbs in 15 days is less likely to be just water weight, since it wasn't the very beginning of the calorie cutting.

OP, if you lose a lot for a week or two it's really common to lose less or even stall or gain a bit the next week. For women the time of the month matters too, and precisely when in the month varies by person. I only noticed my pattern after a few months.

Lucky for you it doesn't sound like you were doing the super low cal thing long enough to mess you up. Don't worry, keep at it!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    not that you meant to, but just stopped eating could be what caused it. Not eating makes the body eat the away at store fats but not the stored fats that are dealing with weight. It eats away at the stored fats that are in muscles. Give it time, could have been a bad week. And even when you aren't necessarily hungry, grab something. even if its just a few pretzels or a handful of peanuts/almonds. atleast you are putting something into your body.
    Even presuming this to be true, do you think the fat in muscle doesn't weigh anything.

I think eating for the sake of eating when they aren't really hungry is what gets a lot of people in trouble in the first place.
  • luvtrails
    luvtrails Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was directing my "Mr. Ed" comment to Supertact. He was mean to the woman asking for advice. No need. I am sick of people reachong out on this "support forum" and getting slammed! Sorry if it wasn't in the right place. I am new to this stuff.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I just started using my fitness pal to track my meals and calories. Before starting this, I found myself eating breakfast and maybe a sandwich during the day but nothing else. I am 5'5" and I weigh 270lbs. I know I'm very overweight but I want to change. I lost 5 pounds in the first 15 days, but now I've been stuck at 270 for over a week. I'm eating between 1200-1250 calories a day. I eat 3 small meals and 3-4 different snacks, which include a lot of fruits and veggies. I eat very minimal carbohydrates. I don't exercise much, I work in an office and I don't move around very much. I walk on my days off. I know that if I were able to increase my activity level I would probably lose weight, but I just don't understand why a person like myself, so overweight, wouldn't lose weight with consuming the amount of calories that I am. I feel like there's something wrong with me. I looked at a website that told me I should be eating 1800 calories a day, but I'm afraid that's way too much, especially because I often have difficulty eating the 1200-1250 calories that I have set up for myself now. I'm getting frustrated and I don't want to give up...

First, you are extremely delusional thinking you eat only
    breakfast and maybe a sandwich and some how wind up at 270 lbs.
    Second you are clearly still over eating by a lot if the scale is not moving.
    Upwards of 2000 calories a day and realistically probably a lot more.

Here's some *possible* reasons why you are not losing weight.

you are eating more calories than you are burning
    you don't log your food with a food scale
    you do not log your food accurately or consistently
    you go hide in your room and stuff junk down your throat but don't log it because you're embarrassed
    you aren't moving your body enough
    you are a truly unique special snowflake who doesn't lose weight in a calorie deficit

Note: that last point isn't one of them.

You're an idiot. Metabolic burn rates vary wildly. Additionally, if someone is getting too few calories, their weight may not only not move down but in fact go up.

It's always hilarious to find meatheads thinking they look smart, but when they spew their ignorance, you just see their stupidity. Please continue; you are hilarious in the best kind of way - being unintentionally hilarious.

If someone is getting too few calories on an ongoing basis, no, their weight will not go up.

It is also against the rules of forum to name call, things like calling someone an idiot or a meathead, for example.
    Weight going up with too few calories, LOL no just no
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's normal not to lose, or even to gain, from one week to another. It's not linear.

That being said, like everyone else, I suggest you use a kitchen scale to weigh everything you eat, and don't overestimate your exercise calories, so you know you're not eating at maintenance.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I was directing my "Mr. Ed" comment to Supertact. He was mean to the woman asking for advice. No need. I am sick of people reachong out on this "support forum" and getting slammed! Sorry if it wasn't in the right place. I am new to this stuff.

Supertact is mean in numerous posts. Ignore!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just started using my fitness pal to track my meals and calories. Before starting this, I found myself eating breakfast and maybe a sandwich during the day but nothing else. I am 5'5" and I weigh 270lbs. I know I'm very overweight but I want to change. I lost 5 pounds in the first 15 days, but now I've been stuck at 270 for over a week. I'm eating between 1200-1250 calories a day. I eat 3 small meals and 3-4 different snacks, which include a lot of fruits and veggies. I eat very minimal carbohydrates. I don't exercise much, I work in an office and I don't move around very much. I walk on my days off. I know that if I were able to increase my activity level I would probably lose weight, but I just don't understand why a person like myself, so overweight, wouldn't lose weight with consuming the amount of calories that I am. I feel like there's something wrong with me. I looked at a website that told me I should be eating 1800 calories a day, but I'm afraid that's way too much, especially because I often have difficulty eating the 1200-1250 calories that I have set up for myself now. I'm getting frustrated and I don't want to give up...
    Hi, welcome! If you are worried about something being wrong with you, you might want to check it out with your doctor. Get a physical and lab work. Then if nothing shows up, just keep doing what you are doing and add in exercise. You could add walking on your lunch and breaks. I think if you don't give up you will get to your goal. Congrats on your weight loss so far! I am 5'1" weigh 153.0 lbs and working on losing 30 lbs. Takes time, feel free to friend me.