Limiting Sugar - Does source matter?

Options
CMReece
CMReece Posts: 4 Member
I'm new to the food diary thing and I see that many days my sugar intake is over where it should be. Most of my sugar comes from raw, whole fruit and from milk (1/2% dairy milk or almond milk). Should I be concerned, or should I be more worried about added sugars and kinda discount the fruits and milk sugars from my count in my mind?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes (or doctor's orders), ignore MFP's sugar goal.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I only worry about added sugars, personally.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Why are you limiting sugar?
  • rueyaroo
    rueyaroo Posts: 35
    Options
    Yes-- try not to eat anything that rapidly raises your blood sugar. So limit fruits that aren't mostly fructose. I used to have problems losing weight before I was put on medication for IR and PCOS, I cut most fruits from my diet and consider it a cheat since i'm so sensitive.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would forget tracking sugar and replace it with fiber and pay attention to your overall caloric intake and Protein, Carbs, and Fats.... I have never tracked a single gram of sugar and it has not effected my outcome both with weight loss and overall health.... If your within your Macros and Calories the rest will fall in line..... Best of Luck
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes-- try not to eat anything that rapidly raises your blood sugar. So limit fruits that aren't mostly fructose. I used to have problems losing weight before I was put on medication for IR and PCOS, I cut most fruits from my diet and consider it a cheat since i'm so sensitive.
    The OP didn't mention any medical conditions so don't apply your restrictions that you have for your medical condition to her.

Telling people to cut fruit out of their diet isn't smart and it's unnecessary.
    Truth.

Also, you can remove tracking sugar if you go into your settings, a lot of people do that. I just track carbs as a whole.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    The OP didn't mention any medical conditions so don't apply your restrictions that you have for your medical condition to her.

Telling people to cut fruit out of their diet isn't smart and it's unnecessary.
    Truth.

Also, you can remove tracking sugar if you go into your settings, a lot of people do that. I just track carbs as a whole.
    ^exactly.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Unless you have diabetes (or doctor's orders), ignore MFP's sugar goal.

^^This.
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    excess sugar isn't good for your health anyway, i wouldn't understand why you would want to eat more of it if the bottom line is sugar is empty calories and can cause a whole slew of health issues down the line? the point of dieting is to be healthy, not strictly for appearance only.

I also didn't say to cut all fruit from her diet, I said fruits that aren't mostly made of fructose.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
  • TerryKaine08
    Options
    MyFitnessPal and much food information is very simplistic. Hence there is more to nutrition than carbs, sugars, and fats. Excess sugar from fruits is rather difficult unless you are eating way too much fruit. Fruits also differ in the sugar content. E.g. If you in a workout and need an energy boost, bananas are great. But if you are sitting at a desk and need a snack, then apples are great. If all your fruit and milk is coming from smoothies, then than may need to be be adjusted. 1 smoothie is good, but too many smoothies in a day is almost like candy.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    excess sugar isn't good for your health anyway, i wouldn't understand why you would want to eat more of it if the bottom line is sugar is empty calories and can cause a whole slew of health issues down the line? the point of dieting is to be healthy, not strictly for appearance only.

I also didn't say to cut all fruit from her diet, I said fruits that aren't mostly made of fructose.

That's how I read your comment above as well.

Limit does not mean remove.

Personally if you're happy with sugar and it is not taking you over your calorie goal or detracting from your other macro or micro nutrients then eat it log it and enjoy.

If you are looking for something to cut to get you into a calorie deficit without affecting your micro nutrients then sugar is the quickest, easiest and most efficient option.

Good luck OP
  • rueyaroo
    Options
    Thankfully someone else agrees.

It's sad that I get put on blast for telling people to cut down on sugar when it's the source for a lot of serious medical problems, especially if it's eaten in large amounts over long periods of time.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    No, calories in vs. calories out (unless diabetic).

Do not worry about sugar.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    To answer the OP's question, no. You should not be concerned. =)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thankfully someone else agrees.

It's sad that I get put on blast for telling people to cut down on sugar when it's the source for a lot of serious medical problems, especially if it's eaten in large amounts over long periods of time.

Do we have any evidence that fruit intake is problematic in a hypocaloric diet in non diabetic patients? IF the answer is yes then we would then need to look at quantity and compare that to the OP's diet before suggesting she "cut back on fruit".
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Why fructose?

Also, assuming the OP is consuming 'excess' sugar ignores what the OP is actually doing. Also, many foods that contain sugar are not 'empty calories'. You told the OP to limit sugar in your initial post...which, without context, is also limiting possible nutrients, especially as the OP mentioned milk and fruits etc - which are absolutely not empty calories..
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with Sidesteel and Sara. Tons of blanket statements being thrown around today with little context or consideration on what people do here.

And Ruey, just because 1 person agrees with you doesn't mean your statement is accurate.

Just to clarify I was agreeing that her original statement was indicating limiting rather than avoiding (that was all).

I don't have an issue with sugar, it has it's place in a healthy diet .

My views on limiting sugar from any source is purely for convenient calorie control.