bison?

Options
hfoy
hfoy Posts: 6 Member
I've started doing a lot of cooking from Clean Eating magazine, and I've found that there are several recipes with bison. I'd like to try it, but am not sure where I'd get any. Suggestions? Anyone have any tips about cooking it?

Replies

• mrscates
    mrscates Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I actually JUST saw some bison at HEB last night!
    I've started doing a lot of cooking from Clean Eating magazine, and I've found that there are several recipes with bison. I'd like to try it, but am not sure where I'd get any. Suggestions? Anyone have any tips about cooking it?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    walmart
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    It is sometimes listed as Buffalo meat, but it is bison. I see it at every grocery store with the ground beef.
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    Don't know if there is a Super Fresh where you are, but we've seen it there.
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love bison! You can use it place of any recipe that you would use beef -- chilis, burgers, meatloafs...

If you using bison steaks, you can't cook them as long as you would regular beef because it's much leaner and dries out. For example, if you like your beef steak cooked medium well, cook bison to medium.

WalMart, Target, and Costco carry it, as well as most grocery stores (but I live in Colorado!) ;)

Enjoy it!
  • Sweepee2
    Options
    Most grocery stores sell Bison now. Check by the beef. As for cooking advice - treat it as you would a very lean beef. You can substitute bison for extra lean beef in recipes. If you get steaks or a roast (YUMMY!) prepare it as you would a tougher cut of beef since it is so lean. You may consider trying Ostrich as well. This meat is very lean and can be substituted for beef as well. In Winnipeg, I've only ever found Ostrich at organic food stores.