Slow But Steady Wins The Race

Options
So many folks come to MFP with the attitude of a jack rabbit. Few folks want to be like the tortoise; but it is tortoises like myself who are here for the 'long, slow journey' that does not end with a finish line, a cheering crowd and a shiny trophy. The real winners in the weight loss race aren't 'racing' anywhere. They are plodding along at a slow but steady pace, prepared for periods of little to no visible or numerical success.

The jack rabbit wants to see daily successes with numbers on the scale dropping every day. They want to reach their 'finish line' as quickly as possible. Maybe it is a number on the scale or a particular size dress for a special occasion; and there is usual a preconceived idea that their weight loss will happen in just a short time. The rabbit is not equipped with patience for periods of body adjustment that are called plateaus.

Today, an MFP friend made the following comment on one of my posts, "I love watching your losses add up! So inspirational!"

My post had reflected a VERY SMALL weight loss, only 0.2 pounds. That is part of the 0.6 pounds that I lost over the past week. That is certainly not a huge number, when you consider that I started my weight loss journey at close to 290 pounds.

Yes, I have lost about 120 pounds so far; but most of those pounds did not come off at jack rabbit speed. This 'tortoise' has been plodding along for more than 18 months. Months that included several plateaus, when my weight did not move for weeks...even as long as 2 months.

An impatient 'rabbit' would have given up with progress that went so slow or even stopped for weeks. Those of us with the attitude of a tortoise know that we must keep going...keep logging in our food, keep contact with our inspirational friends on MFP and resist binging, when "the scale isn't showing progress" at jack rabbit speed.

Today, this tortoise is winning 'the race', because I know that every day is just another step toward a healthy future in a smaller body. I am not looking for the finish line, a cheering crowd or a trophy. I am happy with this day, because I am no longer carrying the 120 pounds that I was carrying in 2012 and throughout much of my life. My success is here with me every day, whether the scale moved down today, sat still or even showed a slight gain. I am doing what I need to do...

at SLOW BUT STEADY pace.

Are you an 'impatient jack rabbit' or a 'slow moving tortoise'? :smile:

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends on the day. :D Some days I'm good with just moving forward and continuing to try to eat healthy and exercise. Some days I wish the darn scale would move faster!

Let's hope I have the same success as you! This is a great post!
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I needed this. Thank you. great job!
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am ALL about slow and steady. Most studies show that the slower you lose, the more likely you are to keep it off, and there are a ton of reasons for that, from maintaining habits through the transition to maintenance to allowing your hormones time to adapt so your hunger cues aren't all over the place. I'm only aiming to lose about 45-50 pounds overall, but I'm happy losing that in the span of a year or so, maybe slightly more. I am super into being kind to myself and good to my body.

Why rush it, you know? Losing weight isn't going to make all my problems go away. It's not a panacea for all my mid-twenties issues. If I lost it all super fast, I'd still have every issue I do now, plus the threat of gaining it all back and slipping into a yo-yo schedule. No thank you.

Plus my body comp is gonna be bangin'.
  • kiwigirl007
    kiwigirl007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. :) Much to the chagrin of my over-achieving inner perfectionist, I am finding that changing my lifestyle and habits will not be an overnight transformation! But I am learning to love myself, to be kind to myself, be patient with myself, and I am realizing that time + consistence = permanence. Thank you for reminding me that I'm looking, not just at short-term drops, but at long-term success.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 years to lose 84 pounds. I'm about 16 pounds above my low-water mark from 2010, but only about 7 pounds above what I consider my optimal weight. Slow and steady and keep on keeping on works for me!
  • ketandnan
    ketandnan Posts: 9
    Options
    Someone quoted something the other day and it has really stuck with me "As long as you are making healthy choices you are making PROGRESS no matter what the Scales say!! I know I am going to have weeks that I am not going to lose. I have always quit in the past after so many weeks, but I know now I have reached an age that I can't afford to quit I have to keep going forward no matter what. I didn't put this weight on overnight and I sure ain't going to be able to get it off over night. I love your story and your progress you are an inspiration to me!! keep up your turtle pace cause I am behind you!!:flowerforyou:
  • sharilyn77
    sharilyn77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. When I first started my weight loss journey I expected to lose faster. Once I realized that it was a process (after several plateaus), I've come to terms with the fact that this is going to take awhile...especially if I want to keep off.

Great post :)
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Nice post. I'm in this for the long haul even though I know I still have a long way to go. I know it's tempting to be the jackrabbit and although he may show his face from time to time, it's the slow moving tortoise that I am now getting to know as my new best friend. I too don't need to win any race or even a trophy or a cheering crowd but I do dream of the coming days of feeling better in my skin, of being able to move more with ease, and recognizing and even embracing the person I see in the mirror. She has been gone way too long and I can't wait to see her again. God Bless!! :smile:
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    When I logged in this morning I was met with that joyful "SkyeNS has logged in for 470 days in a row!" message. During that time I gradually made changes to my diet and greatly increased my daily activity. For the most part I'm a very proud tortoise. I try very hard to take all the ups, downs & plateaus in stride, often reminding myself how far I've come and that the overall trend is going in the direction that I need it to go. It is hard to completely avoid those jack rabbit tenancies though, especially when reading Facebook posts from friends who have lost more weight in half the time. Even though I know that I'm taking the best steps for me, that competitive little voice in the back of my head starts urging me to do something - anything - to make it to that finish line faster. It has taken some time, but I've learned to recognize that impulse and rein it in. After a mental head shake and quick 'what works for one, may not work for another' pep talk, I take a second to Like their post and congratulate them on their success. Then I go back to doing what works for me. If it takes 100 more days or 500, I'll know I'll get there.

Congratulations, Hanfordrose, on all of your successes, your dedication and perseverance is inspirational. Thank you for taking the time to write your forum and blog posts. I always enjoy reading them.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm all for slow and steady. Good for you. :)
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've always known I would be here for the long haul to reach my goal... and beyond to keep track of where I am going... but after 2 1/2 years had hoped to be nearer my goal. But I only have myself to blame. Over the last 6 months I put back on, gradually, over 14 lbs, which I didn't admit to on my check-in till recently. It is only since taking myself in hand again that the scales have started to show downward progress, but I still have 10 lbs to go to get back down to where I was last summer, and then on down to finally get out of the obese BMI category.
    It is the solid encouragement and inspiration of my MFP friends who keep me going; and the signs of progress - my rings fitting again, being able to feel the bones in my face, getting buttons done up on shirts I have not been able to wear for years, and the extra energy I have.
    Learning to kick the habits of a lifetime is going to take years to change... getting out into the 'green gym' rather than sitting watching telly, checking myself from having a chocolate biscuit after a meal or with a coffee, watching the portion sizes and eating more slowly. But I know I still have to learn how to cope with all the food on offer at social events!
    Thanks, Sue, for showing us all that with strict discipline and determination you can achieve, and keep achieving, a massive change in your habits, which will add years to your life.
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Excellent, important post, thank you! This is so very true and being clear about that from the outset will give you the mental strength and inner calm to persist, stubbornly persist - that WILL get you there eventually. Well done on your huge loss so far.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post! I've been here about 2 1/2 years, and am really struggling to lose the last 10 pounds...feel like I should be there by now, but it's been slow....I'll get there!
  • Creiddylad
    Creiddylad Posts: 27
    Options
    It's beginning to dawn on me that this really is the long haul. I knew it, or thought I did, but then I found myself getting impatient and disheartened when the weight didn't simply drop off me from the getgo. I have made such incredible changes to my life compared to how I used to be .. and I thought the results would be instantaneous.

But of course what I had forgotten is when I was doing what I was doing I was gaining weight .. year in year out ... 15 pounds in the past year alone. In six weeks I have not only stopped that ... I've reversed it and that alone is an incredible achievement.

Now I genuinely do realise that this is going to be a long haul but that I will get there ..... with determination, commitment and most of all ... patience.
  • CindyRip
    CindyRip Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am all in with slow and steady. It has been a rocky year for me in the losing weight department but through it all I knew I just needed to continue the changes I had made in my life and my body would eventually change for the better with it. I am now seeing the benefits of that effort. I often think had I not had this knowledge I would not only be heavier and having worse health issues, but my anxiety, anger at my weight and myself would have stolen all the great non-scale achievements I have had this year. My self esteem would have been almost nonexistent and I would have missed out on the great friends I have had a chance to meet on this site. The great thing about this type of weight loss is it makes you mindful of all the other aspects of your life not just what the scale says or who you think it tells you, you are. Like a seed it takes time to grow into something that is useful and / or beautiful.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am a tortoise, not a hare.
    0.8 is a lot for me to lose in a week. That's just how it is. Does it discourage me? Yep....doesn't stop me though.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Great post OP. :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    A sign in my gym reads 'Some people give up due to slow progress never grasping the fact that it is just that, progress' When I get down that usually picks me up again.
  • LauraSkipper
    LauraSkipper Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love this post!! I have sooo wanted to be a rabbit!! I lost 20 pounds and kept it off for two years and then of course I gained it back!! I started back logging 25 days ago and I have lost 8 pounds. This week I kept my calories below my allowance and I did not loose and ounce. I have got to take it slow. Thanks for this post!