Working out on Elliptical is causing numbness??

Options
You're probably going to think I'm nuts but...every time I workout on my elliptical machine, after about 10 minutes my toes go numb. Like they're "asleep". I thought my sneakers were too tight, nope. Tried new sneakers, still the same. Tried with arch supports and without, still the same... WTH? I could workout for longer but after 30 minutes it's just too much! Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• Shesalovebug
    Shesalovebug Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same thing. I just read a few days ago that you're supposed to be using the heel of your foot to push the peddles, not the ball of your foot. I switched up and started using the heel, it takes some mental effort to remember to do it, but it's getting easier. And, my toes aren't going numb anymore.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Mine did the same thing. I just read a few days ago that you're supposed to be using the heel of your foot to push the peddles, not the ball of your foot. I switched up and started using the heel, it takes some mental effort to remember to do it, but it's getting easier. And, my toes aren't going numb anymore.

I thought I was the only one.... I'll try this and see if it helps.
  • N3bolt
    N3bolt Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey - same here, made me a little worried that I had something really wrong! But, I loosened up my shoes (almost sloppy) and it solved the problem! Also, try to lift them occasionally through the workout to make sure you keep the circulation going!
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing but now when it happens I reposition my feet and try to use my heel.

Also, I switch from forwards to backwards every 10-15 minutes...
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Used to bother me too in the beginning. Reposition feet occasionally (even before numbness starts) wriggle toes, and get weight back onto your heels, less toes like mentioned above. Went away for me after a few weeks, now 40 minutes is no problem, but I still need to be conscious of it to keep it away. Good posture a must!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Ooo, I learned something new today!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Consistent pressure on the common plantar digital and peroneal nerves cause this. As mentioned, moving feet, lifting them off occasionally and focusing more on pushing off the heel will reduce this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    you are pushing with the balls of you feet and toes. Reposotion the feet and push with the heel not the toes. This should help. Have an awesome safe workout:bigsmile:
  • WonkaCat
    WonkaCat Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this as my feet go numb too. I reposition my feet often and will now try and use my heels more. Thanks everyone!
  • emtabo3
    emtabo3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I work out in flip flops vs shoes, it doesn't make my feet go numb.
  • DragonfliesOnWings
    DragonfliesOnWings Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My right leg was doing that too. I thought it was because of a back injury. I have nerve damage that never came back after surgery. I may try the elliptical again with this new advice. Thanks.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Makes sense. I used to get it, take off my shoes, and keep going.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Just a quick follow up...

I have been trying the push with your heels technique and it works pretty well, for me it feels un-natural so I just convert to that when it feels like the numbness is setting in. Seems to be working fairly well, thanks for the tip.
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I'm going to the gym today, I'll try this! Thank you. :drinker:
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lifetime Fitness Elliptical's website says to go a minute backward for every 10 minutes forward in order to combat numbness. You're definitely not alone! Also, easy fix, but make sure your shoe laces aren't too tight :).