What's your motivation?

Options
Okay, I have a question. Y'all know how most people say that you aren't supposed to lose weight for anyone but yourself?
Part of me wants to say: TRUE! Have self confidence! Make YOURSELF proud!
The other part? Well it wants to say: BULL!! If it wasn't for other people's ridicule, betrayal, lies, gossip, judgmental glances, and any other concept in the negative emotional spectrum, I wouldn't have the motivation to keep working out and imagining myself as beautiful, thin, toned, and HOT! I mean, who DOESN'T want to walk into a room full of people who teased you or dumped you or hurt you in anyway and have every head turn and every jaw drop. Whenever I need extra motivation, a pep in my step, fire in my heart, and determination in my eyes, I think about my past, the people in it, where I want to be in the future, and most of all, what I WILL look like!

So, my main question to y'all is...what motivates you? Does anyone have the same thoughts in the back of his/her head?

Replies

• BubbleBubble7
    BubbleBubble7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this. While it is true that I want to feel confident, a lot of it also comes from looking good to others. Today I had this sad feeling of seeing a really good looking guy at a store and then feeling so crappy about how bad I looked because of my weight gain. Had I been 45 pounds lighter than where I am now, I would've had the confidence to do something in that kind of situation. I'm not saying that look is everything in starting a relationship, your confidence should come from something else, blah blah blah, while that's all true theoretically, it's hard to feel so confident and daring when I'm so overweight. Which is why I'm sick of being this way and want to lose weight!! Of course the main reason is my health but I would be lying if I said I didn't care what other people think :p
  • Kayla_Ann_20
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better. I've been in the same boat many times. About 2 years ago, I lost 30-40 pounds and my life has been a good bit different even since then. Now I'm here to get down to my ideal weight (135) from my current weight (170-175). Good luck to you!
  • Archer9304
    Archer9304 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wanted to look like my sister at first because she's beautiful.

She's tried to stop me from losing weight and I don't want to. Because I'm not where I want to be yet. I want to look good to other people. Wether she wants me to or not.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i prefer to use positive emotions. i like races, and getting a medal at the finish line is pretty positive. hanging them all up on my wall is a great reminder of what i have done.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give a fuc& what anybody thinks, if you're not doing this for you you're doing it for the wrong reasons.
  • JimTs
    JimTs Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I had extra 53 Kg I had the feeling that people were looking me as a total loser.
    I went around and changed that, at least now I know that I can do anything if I put my mind into it.
  • Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I am so embarrassed lately. I want to do it for me but I also wanna look and feel good about myself again. I'm kinda at the point where I'm even embarrassed to work out at home. I don't wanna go out with my friends cause I am embarrassed how I look. I just don't feel confident anymore .
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    ME........
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    My very biggest motivation is the fact that my mom had a massive stroke at a young age and it could have been prevented if she had lost weight. I also think I am big motivator for myself because I am doing this and taking my life back. Lastly, I live next door to an upscale senior living place. WHen I go for my walks I see people in their 70's and more walking and looking good. WHen I first started out they were passing me up.lol. I want to be like them when I get their age.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i agree. Besides loosing the weight for myself, I want to loose for many ither reasons. My husband is disabled and cannot do many things we take for granted. I lost weight and took up running to prove to myself I could do it. My husband is my encouragement and best supporter. He takes me to my races and patiently wants for mr to cross the finish line. I do this because he cannot and it brings him out and involved. Thamls babe for the support.
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My motivation is myself. I never worked out before and in the last seven months I've started to really see what my body is capable of. I recently ran my first 10k and I plan on earning my Spartan trifecta next year. The human body is a truly amazing thing and I can't wait to see how far I can push myself! I feel strong and capable and even though I still would like to drop 30 more pounds I have never felt better than I do right now.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Proving to myself that I can do this the right way and for good.
  • Pamella924
    Pamella924 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My motivation is me. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm too darn young to have all these aches and pains. If I don't do something about my weight, it will end up killing me and that would suck. I don't want my death to be because of something I could have avoided.

I'd be lying if I said I'm not doing it so I can look good.....feel good.....get to wear the cute dresses, etc. I'm not losing weight for anyone other than me. If you don't like me when I'm overweight, you're not going to like me when I've lost weight. I'll still be the same person....just thinner.
  • lifestyleHK
    lifestyleHK Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wake up with determination, go to bed with satisfaction, because EXCUSES DONT BURN CALORIES. This is my motto for the month of July, Hope it helps you :)
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    My motivation is to look and feel how I used to when I was 2 and a half stone lighter. Miss feeling how I used to especially looking back at old pics.
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I am doing it 100% for others. Left only with myself, I wouldn't care. I'm doing it first for God, then also for my husband (so I don't get health related problems I can prevent), my children and because we want to have more babies and I want to be as healthy as possible for pregnancy.
  • jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This is a nice self-inquiry.

It would be easy for me to lie to myself and say it's all about me, but I cannot pretend like I don't care at all about how others look at me. I hope to have a healthy balance of both intrinsic and external reasons that motivate me, but I cannot always be sure of that. My motivation tends to shift with my moods. However, establishing solid healthy habits is great because it keeps me on track even when my motivation isn't.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My biggest motivation is my progress. I think that's why it was so hard for me to start but once you see and feel change it makes me want to keep going and be the best I can be.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I do have back problems, so even if I found prince charming the chubby chaser and settled down to a life of activism and general trouble making, and lived happily ever after, I'd still want to lose the last of this gut to see if it helps.
  • twyliatepeka
    twyliatepeka Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids to keep up with so they are a big motivation for me. It is hard to chase little ones when you are fat. I also love shopping & can't do that if I can't wear the clothes I want to buy.