I need some advice about toning up.

Options
I've lost 4 and a half stone in the past 2 years and although I'm at a normal weight (8 stone 8 pounds), I still look really flabby so I know that I really need to tone up. I try and exercise everyday for at least half hour either on the cross trainer or the rowing machine. I exercise at least 5 times a week at half hour at a time, is this enough to get myself toned or do I need to increase the exercising? I hate looking so flabby, I would really like to be toned now I've lost the weight.

Replies

• KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I would try adding in some strength training, in addition to the cardio stuff you are already doing. You should start to see a difference in your body composition and appearance.

Oh and congrats on the weight loss!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "toning up" requires muscle. You need to do a properly programmed resistance routine to maintain the muscle mass that you have so that as you cut the fat, those muscles become more pronounced and firm and voila...you are toned.

Just dieting and cardio isn't going to do it...in fact, it's more likely to have the exact opposite effect.
  • yummyboogereaterr
    yummyboogereaterr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to weight train. Lifting weights will not bulk you up but instead build lean muscle that will tighten everything and give a the toned appearance you'd like. There's a great article about toning and lifting on nerd fitness.