Where are you, geek chicks?

Options

Replies

• kiarafitjourney
    kiarafitjourney Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Me!
    I love reading, mostly young adult series, dystupian and paranormal. and im into fanfiction, can read it hours and hours.
    love manga and anime as well.
    i once has life aspiration to become a writer, but it didnt work lol.
    i love games too such as sims 3 and otome games. and i fall in love easily with fictional character. lol .
    i need friends here so please kindly add me :)
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Where are all the Supernatural fans?

I live on a steady diet of fan fiction, both reading and writing, when I'm not re-watching SPN, Doctor Who (Nine and Ten for me, thanks), Sherlock, Eureka, and BSG. Not sure if I qualify as a full-on geek, but I sure aspire to be one day.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I live on a steady diet of fan fiction, both reading and writing, when I'm not re-watching SPN, Doctor Who (Nine and Ten for me, thanks), Sherlock, Eureka, and BSG. Not sure if I qualify as a full-on geek, but I sure aspire to be one day.

Lol, Annalisbeth - if you're aspiring to be a full on geek, I assure you you've already made it!! :)
    I never saw Supernatural, but since I love all of those other shows and the 9th and 10th, but not really 11, I am thinking I'd probably like it. I'll check out my netflix and amazon prime, maybe its available there?
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    In my 40s too - Play World of Warcraft on the daily if that makes me a geek - lol! I need to lose about 30 pounds and the struggle is real!!!! It is so much harder in your 40s!!
  • Berry2084
    Berry2084 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ooooo do I qualify for geek club let me see now I am a whovian (10th for me) new series only so far though i would like to get into classic. I like star trek TNG, DS9 and VOY, Game of Thrones, True Blood, Fringe and others.

I am a bit of a gamer mainly ps3 Skyrim (platinum trophy), Uncharted and the like. For PC have got Sims, the starter pack for WoW but I can't seem to get the hang of it, same with Civ 5 tried can't seem to stick with it.

My favourite books are fantasy and Sci Fi, Dystopias just finished WOOL trilogy which I really enjoyed I read Doctor Who novels as well.

Used to play warcraft table top game as a kid no one to play with now :frown:
  • kandalure
    kandalure Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Geek here too! Feel free to add me as I am always looking for more friends for more motivation!
  • jhilhan
    jhilhan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek through and through.
    I'm a 43 year old gamer girl that prefers MMMRPG games. My husband and I have played World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Star Wars the Old Republic, The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 and a few others.
    I also play The Sims and random dog show simulator games.

I am a role player. I prefer text based but also engage in tabletop and LARP. I have a closet full of period clothing that I wear to Medieval Faires.

I'm a high fantasy and urban fantasy nut. I adore The Dresden Files.
    I feel the only Star Wars movies worth watching are the original three. I grew up on the original Star Trek series and the TV series of The Planet of the Apes.

Sports are a foreign concept for me. I'd much rather play at the computer, write stories or lose myself in a good book.
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Gaming, book reading, MTG playing, Sy-Fy loving, geeky gal present and accounted for. Started with 70 lbs. to lose myself, but am down 16. Feel free to add me. :-)
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    How to Tell the Difference Between Nerds and Geeks (googled)

I call BOGUS! : ^ D

IMO: A geek is more extroverted, a nerd more introverted
    And that's all folks!!

...and who but a "seersucker" (seersucker??? Really Urban Dic.???) --who but a nerd/geek would bother to look up a definition--

On another note: If nothing else I'm going for a walk and listen to TED Talks. I'd better do it now while it is overcast here in So. Cal.

I teach English at a public high school with an interesting mix of kids. How did a nerd end up teaching English? Reading and interpreting text comes easily to me, and what else could I have majored in??
    The bureaucracy (did I spell that right?-- creativity and rigid adherence to rules doesn't always go together..or maybe at all?)the bureaucracy is something I have to unhook from as much as possible. Education before the age of 18 is run and ruled by traditionalists.
  • Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Same here, over 40, guess you'd call me a geek.. Sci-fi books, movies and shows are my fav entertainment, besides video games... I work on computers for work and hobby. I raised my daughter to be the same.
  • Frobie
    Frobie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    HEY! Me too! How exciting is it to see all us geek-types crawl out of the woodwork?!

I play WoW (and have since release)
    I play every other MMORPG that comes out - but always return to wow
    I met my huband on WoW
    I play Magic
    I play Hearthstone
    Am pursing my third degree at university (Anthropology) because I cannot stop needing to be taught and graded!
    I have a "grammar problem" in that it must...be...perfect!
    I love and watch Star Trek and Star Wars
    Althought I liked JJ's Star Trek from an action/sci-fi movie perspective...it wasn't Star Trek...
    I am an avid collector of DC comics
    Batman has never been portrayed properly on the big screen.
    I regularly go to conventions

There is so much more......

Anyway, feel free to add me! Having like minded people to chat with would be awesome :happy:

DFTBA!!
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    40 year-old video-gaming, metal-loving, guitar-playing, sci-fi/fantasy/documentary/wrestling-watching nerd* and proud of it!

*albeit without the supreme intelligence.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Star Wars or Lord of the Rings? ;)

Watch Star Wars, read LOTR.
  • ottawapk
    ottawapk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am here! I am 39 and have both geeky and nerdy qualities and am looking for friends here on map, of both varieties! Here are my current and recent loves:

Star Trek (since I was a kid), Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica (old AND new), Dr Who (favourite: Tennant), Supernatural, Buffy and the entire JossWhedon-verse, and Game of Thrones.

I am a librarian!! I love to read about science, especially physics and cosmology. Anything to do with space is pretty damn cool...

I am not so much into gaming because of lack of TIME. But I could get into it in a serious way.

I also like cats. Like, I am a super serious cat lady. In an epic way. I have two, but love ALL THE KITTEHS.

Thanks for starting this thread!
  • ottawapk
    Options
    Yes I prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith and am deeply concerned about Peter Capaldi.

Tennant is also my favourite. I am knida meh on Matt Smith, although there were some amazing episodes during his time. (Sorry, I just do not understand fish sticks and custard.) I LOVED John Hurt and wish we could have seen more of him! For some reason I have all this faith that Capaldi will be excellent. I hope I am not disappointed! Any other Whovians care to chime in?
  • ottawapk
    Options

Right here! My tumblr is filled with pics of J2. I'm more on board with Wincest than I am Destiel. I mean, Mischa Collins is adorable, but gotta go with the brothers. You know?

If you know what I'm talking about, I'd be happy to hear from you! :)
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Right here! My tumblr is filled with pics of J2. I'm more on board with Wincest than I am Destiel. I mean, Mischa Collins is adorable, but gotta go with the brothers. You know?

I'm more of a Destiel girl, but I do love the occasional Wincest fic. And if all 3 are thrown together, more's the better.
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes I prefer David Tennant to Matt Smith and am deeply concerned about Peter Capaldi.

Tennant is also my favourite. I am knida meh on Matt Smith, although there were some amazing episodes during his time. (Sorry, I just do not understand fish sticks and custard.) I LOVED John Hurt and wish we could have seen more of him! For some reason I have all this faith that Capaldi will be excellent. I hope I am not disappointed! Any other Whovians care to chime in?

I have zero concerns about Peter Capaldi being the Doctor. He's a great actor and lifelong fan and I am so looking forward to his Doctor. Not a huge fan of Matt Smith although I am taking my son to meet him at Fan Expo in Toronto next month. Clara can leave yesterday (would love to see Donna Noble return), she is probably my least favourite companion ever. As far as the reboot series, Tennant was good and I enjoyed his episodes but I lean to Christopher Eccleston as the best of the three. I was born in the UK and 5 yrs old when the series began so I was actually raised on classic Who. As you can tell from my profile pic, my son is also a classic Who fan and cosplays the 7th Doctor.
  • kscarf1
    kscarf1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow! Overwhelmed by all your responses. I didn't say much about my own geekiness/nerdiness/dorkiness. I have degrees in computer science and technical writing, and I work as a developer of computer security publications. I love sci-fi, mainly movies and TV, sometimes books. I tend to read mostly non-fiction (science, mathematics, technology) but I'm trying to read more fiction so I have better balance in my life. I love zombies! Huge fan of The Walking Dead and zombie movies in general. Watched the original Doctor Who series back in the 80s...haven't seen as much of the new series but I've liked what I've seen. Thinking about diving back into Doctor Who full-time when the new doctor starts up. Let's see, what else...I'm currently watching Falling Skies (anyone else here a fan?) and I binge-watch Game of Thrones when a new season comes out on DVD. Yeah, I'm one of *those* people who avoids spoilers and watches the big shows a year after they come out. :) Ooh, I am also a big fan of Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki's work in particular. Even went to Japan and visited the Ghibli museum!
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options

It was all about Tom Baker for me! I have faith in Capaldi, but he'll ALWAYS be Malcolm Tucker, so I'll be imagining his dialogue peppered with profanities.