Would you log this?

Options
We're taking the kids to an amusement park tomorrow. I expect to be on my feet and walking around for 10-12 hours. Defiantly way more active then a typical day (I'm set at lightly active). Now I know I shouldn't log all of that time, but would you log a portion of it?

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log anything that isn't intentional exercise, personally. But that's just me.
  • christinet2013
    christinet2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is when a pedometer or fitbit comes in very handy. If you have something like that, you KNOW how active you've been. You wont accurately capture it without something like that, so I personally wouldn't try.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I personally would allow myself (if I was hungry) an extra 2-500 calories. But, I am set to sedentary (which I really am, lol).

For a "lightly active" setting, I think it makes sense to NOT log it, but if you are in a little extra need of fuel, don't beat yourself up over a couple hundred calories, if you truly need it. ENJOY! Oh, and stay hydrated if it's hot out:flowerforyou:
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Put a walking app on your phone and see how many steps you take for the day. I would be tempted to log it for fun. I don't eat back calories tho..
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it while losing (or now), but I never ate back exercise calories anyway. Maybe bring an additional healthy snack in case you feel you need something to make up for some lost energy.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that isn't set and planned exercise, but that's just me.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is when a pedometer or fitbit comes in very handy. If you have something like that, you KNOW how active you've been. You wont accurately capture it without something like that, so I personally wouldn't try.

Agreed. I mean, obviously I am more active if I'm walking around all day, but the Fitbit lets me know to a much more accurate degree just *how* much more active (or less active!) I am on any given day. I don't think there's anything wrong with logging additional exercise that is the consequence of another activity (you're not walking less because you're at the amusement park than if you went for a walk just for the walk - intent is not magical), but I would probably try to log less than you estimate, just to ward off over-estimation. (I hit around 22,000 steps at a large animal park - a day out like that is not a negligible amount of walking.)
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that isn't set and planned exercise, but that's just me.

This is usually what I do too, just wasn't sure if it would be different since it's all day.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I agree on the fitbit/pedometer option if you are up for getting one. I have a desk job so I am mostly sedentary, but I found my fitbit super helpful when I was up at a jewelry show last month doing a LOT more walking then I normally would. It helped me keep track and since I wasn't doing my usual exercising at that time it did help me know if I had burned more calories then normal (I had - I walked a ton more than normal thank goodness - since I was out of town for one day I also allowed that to be my go crazy day, so I knew I wasn't as bad off as I expected). Even an inexpensive pedometer would help you to keep track of your steps though - the fitbit is just nice because it can sync with MFP automatically.
  • blonditz
    Options
    Put a walking app on your phone and see how many steps you take for the day. I would be tempted to log it for fun. I don't eat back calories tho..

This is an awesome idea since I don't have a fitbit. Had planned to leave my phone home or in the car though. Lots of water rides and afraid of getting it wet.
  • Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I would log some of it because that is definitely not a typical day. I would look at it as something like going shopping because even though you are on your feet most of the time, you aren't walking a steady pace the whole time. Use a pedometer to see how many steps you take but I wouldn't count the steps inching along in a line for a ride.
  • MadameMaverick
    MadameMaverick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think that you should do what is right for you. I work by the philosophy "If you aren't sure whether or not to do something, don't"

but, if I were you, at the end of the day I might be exhausted, feet hurting, back breaking, and after eating 100 onion rings and elephant ears, it might bring comfort to log it, and resentment not to log it.

I know resentment anything demoralizing is what actually keeps me and others from losing weight. Happiness, comfort, and serenity in my body and actions/movements, will put me in a much better place, so I try to keep myself from doing anything I will feel regret and self consciousness about later.

Try this: Ask yourself the question and then answer as quickly as possible! Your quick answer is what your mind is telling you to do! Do that. If that ends up not feeling right in a few days, go back and edit your entry.

Good luck in everything you do!
  • blonditz
    Options
    I agree on the fitbit/pedometer option if you are up for getting one. I have a desk job so I am mostly sedentary, but I found my fitbit super helpful when I was up at a jewelry show last month doing a LOT more walking then I normally would. It helped me keep track and since I wasn't doing my usual exercising at that time it did help me know if I had burned more calories then normal (I had - I walked a ton more than normal thank goodness - since I was out of town for one day I also allowed that to be my go crazy day, so I knew I wasn't as bad off as I expected). Even an inexpensive pedometer would help you to keep track of your steps though - the fitbit is just nice because it can sync with MFP automatically.

Agreed a fitbit would be really nice. I think a day like tomorrow would be the perfect day to have one. Don't see being able to get one ($) and get it set up by tomorrow though. Something to keep in mind for sure though.

They're not waterproof though, right?
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I only log when my heart rate is raised and consistent. Then I'll eat back about half, sometimes more, of my exercise calories.

I agree with other people that a good idea would be to use a pedometer. You can even use the gps on your phone (I use MapMyRun) to track how far you walked and your average pace.
  • blonditz
    Options
    Seriously rethinking leaving my phone home. The app sounds pretty cool. I may need to think about a fitbit for future things like this too.
  • blonditz
    Options
    I think that you should do what is right for you. I work by the philosophy "If you aren't sure whether or not to do something, don't"

but, if I were you, at the end of the day I might be exhausted, feet hurting, back breaking, and after eating 100 onion rings and elephant ears, it might bring comfort to log it, and resentment not to log it.

I know resentment anything demoralizing is what actually keeps me and others from losing weight. Happiness, comfort, and serenity in my body and actions/movements, will put me in a much better place, so I try to keep myself from doing anything I will feel regret and self consciousness about later.

Try this: Ask yourself the question and then answer as quickly as possible! Your quick answer is what your mind is telling you to do! Do that. If that ends up not feeling right in a few days, go back and edit your entry.

Good luck in everything you do!

This is kinda along the lines of what I was thinking. I know I'm going to be over calories tomorrow. I know I'm going to be tired and hungry by the end of the day. Logging something like 2hrs @ 2mph and giving myself a few hundred extra calories might help. We generally do 3 miles when we go walk around the neighborhood. I'm sure I'll walk way more than that tomorrow.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I go at least once a month to Disneyland. I log it. Pedometer or Fitbit will make it easier.
  • blonditz
    Options
    How do you log it?
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely log it! You're doing more exercise than usual.

Walking around an amusement park is exercise, as is playing with your kids at a trampoline park, going salsa dancing, or hiking with friends. Exercise doesn't have to mean un-fun. :)

You also should be eating more to sustain this.

> How do you log it?

You can use a fitbit/pedometer to measure your steps and/or distance. This is what I did last time. I then took the distance it gave me (e.g., 8 miles), chose a slow pace (e.g., 2mph), and set the time as (distance/pace) = 8/2 = 4 hours. I was surprised how little I walked. You spend so much time in line!

PS - You could get more exact measuring the time you spend standing and subtracting how much time you'd spend walking/standing on a typical day, but the above was a good enough underestimate for me.
  • whipperton
    Options
    Maybe put your phone in a ziplock baggie to help guard against any water rides? That's what I do when I'm kayaking (although I'm taking my phone with me for picture taking purposes!).