Running apps

Options
Hi :) does anyone know of any good running apps for beginners please?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Tracking apps or a running program app such as those for the C25K program?
  • HelenO20
    HelenO20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Definately recommend the c25k app, I was a non runner and now on week 4 running 2 sets of 3 minutes and 2 sets of 5 minutes. I am amazed with myself and really proud.
  • Kiwi_Made
    Kiwi_Made Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Check out Endomundo, it's really good :o)
  • Rainydaygirl1
    Rainydaygirl1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love zombies, run
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and I'm a walker not a runner but it's a running app and it syncs with MFP
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :) will try them out
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Another vote for endomondo. Endomondo also has C25K training programs built into it so you can track and train with the same app.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ah ok I didn't realise that. Thanks :)
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've got Zombies Run, which is a lot of fun. Basically it does the normal track how far you run, how fast you run etc. but adds a story line to it where you are a runner for a camp trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. I'm currently 3 weeks in to their 8 week training program (a version of C25K) and I can't WAIT to finish it so that I can start doing the missions properly. It helps me keep track of how well I'm running AND creates and incentive to go out and do it (I don't want to get turned into a zombie anytime soon) :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try that Zombies Run training app. Is it the original ZR? I recently downloaded the app but it seemed to start me at season 3, and it doesn't seem to work well on a treadmill without a playlist. I use Pandora, not MP3s. Thanks!

OP- I also use the free Zen Labs C25K app.
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try that Zombies Run training app. Is it the original ZR? I recently downloaded the app but it seemed to start me at season 3, and it doesn't seem to work well on a treadmill without a playlist. I use Pandora, not MP3s. Thanks!

OP- I also use the free Zen Labs C25K app.

no, it's a different app (but a bit cheaper and the same online connection capacity!). i'm hoping when i 'graduate' it'll be smart enough to recognise that i've done the training too :)
  • marricurt
    marricurt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing C25K and really enjoying it but once I finish I will switch to RunKeeper. Better tracking, you can change the setting for it to tell you when, how long, your pace etc and it syncs with most gadgets. :)
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper and am very happy with it. They have lots of training programmes ranging from 5k to marathons, but also others like the one I'm currenty on called "Running for fat loss". Syncs with MFP and has a great app and website. :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi :) does anyone know of any good running apps for beginners please?

The main options are: Endomondo, Runkeeper, MapMyFitness and Runtastic.

Of the four of those I'd recommend Endomondo as it has most funcitonality and analysis capability on the app and the website.

Runkeeper is solid, has a good ecosystem and integration.

I wouldn't recommend either MapMyFitness or Runtastic. MMF I've found very unreliable both in terms of tracking and upload sync. runtastic I've found to be a battery hog so kills the power on the phone. Runtastic also works out quite pricey as it's all optional spend, each bit of which is expensive.

Runkeeper, Endomondo and MMF all integrate with MFP, I'm not sure about Runtastic at the moment.

If you're more serious then Strava is very good, but getting the best from it involves a fairly expensive anual subscription.

Personally I use Endomondo for my training plan and statistics, I'm increasingly using Strava.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    zenlabs C25K trainer has a free version (also has the 10k version free), I used to use that and run MapMyRun in the background for the distance/pace/elevation etc.
    They're pretty much all the same from the trainer point of view, finding a tracking app can be a bit more tricky, I used to use Endomondo but it got a bit glitchy for me (pausing the workout whilst I was running etc) so I changed to Mapmyrun, endomondo may have put fixes in place for whatever bug was causing the issue)
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    For tracking I'd say Runkeeper, for fun I'd say Zombies Run, for training C25K.
  • Bogditzy
    Bogditzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper here. No problems so far. I use it mainly because it integrates with most of my other apps/services (eg : Jawbone UP24, MyFitnessPal)
  • Itslozzamate
    Options
    I use endomondo :)

It gives you some funny summaries, Like total distance is shown in "Trips around the world" and trips to the moon" and calories burned in "number of burgers burned"

I have been using this app for a number of years, I love it. Simple to use and it can be connected to MFP or FB
  • ricomincia
    ricomincia Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Currently using Runtastic here and it seems fine! To get the most out of it you need to get a gold subscription which works out at around £25 per year. I don't sub to that but depends what your needs are. Also have a runtastic GPS watch and heart rate monitor hooked up to this and all works really well from my experiences this far. Definitely a good motivator which is all that counts right! LOL

Previously used Endomondo which is also really good. Only changed to runtastic due to my brother using it! :)

Not had much experience with the others TBH but they all do similar things.

Just pick one that syncs up with MFP and go and enjoy. Chop and change if it isn't working out for you they are free to try anyway.... and you can export your training history from one to another if you do change!
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Runtastic - paid small amount to upgrade app but I don't have a gold account.

Seems to work well.