Target heart rate

Options
My maximum heart rate is 187 and I typically workout anywhere from 130-160. I intentionally try to stay within the aerobic zone because my PT said that it is more effective and efficient in losing weight. What I noticed is that, obviously, I am not as fatigued as I would be when I would workout closer to the anaerobic threshold and therefore it's easier for me to control my hunger.
My question is that when I am working out, would it be a good time to take a break when my heart rate is in the higher end? That way, my heart rate is always above 130 or in the aerobic zone?

Replies

• JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to accomplish beyond losing weight. Exercising at 80% of maximum is a good place to be for improving fitness and calorie burn but if you want to maximize fitness you could consider adding interval training at levels closer to your maximum heart rate and adding weights
  • Drdmike
    Drdmike Posts: 66
    Options
    It depends on what you are trying to accomplish beyond losing weight. Exercising at 80% of maximum is a good place to be for improving fitness and calorie burn but if you want to maximize fitness you could consider adding interval training at levels closer to your maximum heart rate and adding weights

My goal is to lose weight, tone and bulk up. I usually get on the bike to get my HR over 150 and sustain it. Then I do some TRX, which is quite difficult. I never got below 130 on TRX but if I do get near 130, I hop back on the bike to get my heart rate up again. If I am at 160, I'll take a break until I get into the 130s and resume working out. I guess my question is am I continuously working out when my heart rate is high but I am on break?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is am I continuously working out when my heart rate is high but I am on break?

Are you working out when you're on a break? i think you know the answer to that. Fortunately it doesn't matter if you take breaks - what matters is your overall calorie burn that day and whether you're in a calorie deficit.
    I intentionally try to stay within the aerobic zone because my PT said that it is more effective and efficient in losing weight.

It's not more efficient than a higher HR. For an explanation, google "fat loss zone myth".