Taco Rice (Okinawa Style)

Options
Mapanggulo
Mapanggulo Posts: 185 Member
II introduced my family to Taco Rice (as they made in Okinawa) when I came back to the US and it was a hit. Usually every other Tuesday in our family its been "Taco Rice Tuesday", with the other Tuesdays either being wings or pizza. Well since i'm really new to logging what I eat (and new here on MFP), Tuesday rolled around and we had to post pone "Taco Rice Tuesday" until today. Today was the first day that I had to enter all the ingredients so I decided to upload the recipe. Not having a clue on how much calories or other things it really contained I didn't have a clue on how much I needed to leave for this.

Anyway here's the list of ingredients & how I made it.

Ingredients
4 Tbs Taco Seasoning
1 Tbs Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Ground Pepper
1/2 cup Ground Beef, cooked
1/4 cup Cilantro - chopped
1/4 cup Onions - raw, chopped
1/4 cup Roma Tomato, raw, diced
1/2 cup Mexican Four Cheese
1/2 cup Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
2 Tbs Sour Cream
1 cup Calrose Extra Fancy Rice, cooked

Directions
1. Cook Rice as you usually would. Using a Rice cooker is best.
2. Cook Ground Beef as directed on package of Taco Seasoning.
2. Cut up the Cilantro, Onions, Tomato's and Lettuce (if not using a package of shredded lettuce.
3. Put a bed of rice on a plate.
4. Add cheese
5. Add Ground Beef
6. Add remaining ingredients as desired.

It came out to a whopping 1221 calories, 178 Carbs, 31 Fat, 56 Protein, 1,920 Sodium, 17 Sugar . I've got to drop some of these so that its lower calories and lower sodium. The white rice was the highest ingredient, unfortunately it wouldn't be Taco Rice without white rice so I'm sticking to using it. Open to any and all suggestions on other ingredients to drop some calories and sodium.

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm looking at the recipe and sounds fantastic. The only things that I see that would up the calories are the rice, hamburger, cheese, sour cream. Sounds like a lot of calories that you listed but not really seeing it here. I guess to reduce it I would use ground turkey, lower fat cheese and lite sour cream...I'll have to run it through to see the difference using the lower calorie version...
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    That seems high compared to what I remember our recipe being.

Use ground turkey, low fat cheese and sour cream. Most of your calories are coming from these ingredients and the rice.

We use one mccormick pack of taco seasoning to a pound of ground turkey abd split the turkey into 6 servings. 2.6 oz each.

ETA: Living in Okinawa right now. :)

EATA: Cut back on the cheese too...one serving is 1/4 cup.
  • Mapanggulo
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to use ground turkey, lite sour cream and lower fat cheese. The sodium level is the one thing I need to really cut, so going to see if I can find a better Taco Seasoning to use (maybe homemade recipe?)...unfortunately the commissary only has McCormick...so I have to shop off-base.

PS - kota4bye I'm jealous....I loved living in Okinawa. Was there 4 yrs (left in 2004), I tried to extend but there were too many people there for my career field already.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, im sure it can be tweaked to make it lower calorie :]

As for okinawa,I stayed there for a month on camp foster. Just visiting marine cousins, not a marine myself. BEST TIME OF MY LIFE! I was also in Tokyo for a weekend after that. Man I miss it.

Anywho thanks again !
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Using the recipe tab, I'm only getting 642 cals for the whole thing? Make sure the rice entry you're using is for COOKED rice, not 1 cup uncooked (which would be about 3 cups cooked). 1 cup of cooked rice should be 180-220 cals.
  • Mapanggulo
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, im sure it can be tweaked to make it lower calorie :]

As for okinawa,I stayed there for a month on camp foster. Just visiting marine cousins, not a marine myself. BEST TIME OF MY LIFE! I was also in Tokyo for a weekend after that. Man I miss it.

Anywho thanks again !

Your welcome. Yep I'm going to tweak it more. I'm on a hunt for home made taco season to cut the sodium now :)
  • Mapanggulo
    Options
    Using the recipe tab, I'm only getting 642 cals for the whole thing? Make sure the rice entry you're using is for COOKED rice, not 1 cup uncooked (which would be about 3 cups cooked). 1 cup of cooked rice should be 180-220 cals.

I googled how much 1/4 cup uncooked rice is when cooked and its 1/2 cup. So I redid the recipe and it shows the rice was 300 calories, with the total now at 881.

Don't know if the recipe is view-able to others...I did upload it so its shared with everyone. This is the link from my side...so don't know if it can be seen this way or not.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/edit/48801460

The title of the recipe is the same title as this thread
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I plan to use ground turkey, lite sour cream and lower fat cheese. The sodium level is the one thing I need to really cut, so going to see if I can find a better Taco Seasoning to use (maybe homemade recipe?)...unfortunately the commissary only has McCormick...so I have to shop off-base.

PS - kota4bye I'm jealous....I loved living in Okinawa. Was there 4 yrs (left in 2004), I tried to extend but there were too many people there for my career field already.

I was here 2003-2006 at MWCS-18 on Foster.
  • Mapanggulo
    Options

I was up the street a ways at Kadena from Aug 1999 - Sept 2003.
  • jojosteez
    jojosteez Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I was up the street a ways at Kadena from Aug 1999 - Sept 2003.

I was also at Kadena but from Feb 2002 to Feb 2005
  • Mapanggulo
    Options
    I was also at Kadena but from Feb 2002 to Feb 2005

What unit?

I was in the 18th MXS/Armament Shop
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I started making my own taco seasoning. I think it was originally a Rachel Ray recipe.

1/2 cup chili powder
    1/4 cup onion powder
    1/8 cup ground cumin ( I've used un-ground before just as good)
    1 Tablespoon garlic powder
    1 Tbs paprika
    1 Tbs sea salt ( could probably be eliminated)

This makes a large batch. Usually around 96 tsps. or 32 tbsp. I usually use around 1 tbsp. per pound of meat.