Best home workouts

Options
Hi all

I'm a member of a gym but it's a good drive over a busy town and often puts me off going. I've started all sorts of home workouts, but never stick to them.....which ones have people enjoyed/had impressive results in? Unsure whether to force myself to gym or just go it alone.....

Feel free to add me anyone.....restarting up on MFP so could do with some new friends :))

I'm 29 and from England x

Replies

• Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym sometimes and do stuff at home/outside. Boredom is the best killer. You can always jump rope, do workout videos/dvds, go for a run/bike ride/skate,etc or go to the gym and do other cardio/strength stuff. Good luck.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    It really depends on your goals, and also on what equipment you have or don't have. I like http://www.startbodyweight.com/. You basically just need somewhere to to pull-ups once you reach that point in the progression.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any equipment, you could look into bodyweight routines from Nerdfitness.com, You Are Your Own Gym, Body by You or Convict Conditioning.

If you do plan on investing into equipment (i.e dumbbells, bench, barbell, plates, pull up bar, etc), then you can look into strength programs like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, AllPros, or Strong Curves.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've had good results with workout videos such as P90X and Jillian Michaels Body Revolution / 30 day shred. They kept be busy on days when i couldn't make it to the gym.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I love jackie warner DVDs!
  • Autumngolds
    Autumngolds Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight with Fitness Blender two years ago and still work out with their videos now. I could hardly exercise when I began (and hated trying to), but I love it now. They have a range of cardio, toning, and strength training if you have any weights at home. Definitely recommend trying them on days off from the gym. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any equipment, you could look into bodyweight routines from Nerdfitness.com, You Are Your Own Gym, Body by You or Convict Conditioning.

If you do plan on investing into equipment (i.e dumbbells, bench, barbell, plates, pull up bar, etc), then you can look into strength programs like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, AllPros, or Strong Curves.

These!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've got several of Jillian Michael's DVDs. You only need a couple of hand weights and they are really good workouts. I do some of the shorter ones when I am pushed for time and you do feel as if you've worked hard even after 20 minutes.
  • heartists
    heartists Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Might sound strange, but I jog in place..
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    find a gym closer to home.
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Checkout... THEBETTYROCKER.COM
    She has some good FREE body weight workout circuits on there. So you can really do them anywhere ...

good luck
  • basiabroker
    basiabroker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am getting amazing results with Insanity.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I got my results from P90X3, love it!
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've done several Jillian Michaels DVD programmes and had great results with them all; 30 Day Shred, Ripped In 30, 6 Week 6 Pack, and currently doing Body Revolution. I also have her No More Trouble Zones, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and Yoga Meltdown DVD's and they're all good to use as part of an overall workout routine.

I've been doing You Are Your Own Gym and seen excellent results from that, so can highly recommend it.

If I have no other option then I'll sometimes do 20 minutes of HIIT either using a skipping rope or sprinting. This is an excellent workout but I find it less enjoyable than the other alternatives!
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    YouTube Pilates videos. I like Pop Pilates, she's called Cassy something and she's great. Free!
  • joehwr86
    joehwr86 Posts: 1
    Options
    Insanity and other beachbody workouts work so well for me.

More importantly I really enjoy them, but it helps that I'm a big fan of at home workouts. My wife and even some of my friends enjoy doing them alongside me at the same time. With people like Shaun T encouraging you, you don't need much more motivation :happy:

Joe
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I like the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. But I've also been using Neila Rey's site, and she has lots of fun workouts and challenges and programs that are themed on superheroes, video games, etc. I've just been doing some of her ab routines, but you can get a kick a$s full body workout with some of her routines! http://neilarey.com/
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I agree with fitnessblender.com. I love that you can search according to what type of workout you want to do (strength training, cardio, yoga, etc.), you can choose the difficulty level, and what type of equipment you want to use.