Is starvation mode a myth!?

Options
Like I eat around 1200 calories! I typically lose 1 pound a week. And I was just wondering. Is starvation mode a myth!? If not, why are starving kids in Africa so skinny!? And they eat like 300 calories a day at the most! And why are anorexics so skinny!? So is starvation mode a myth!?

Replies

• Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The way it is usually refereed to around here, yes. VLCD can be dangerous non-the-less as it is pretty much impossible to get requisite nutrition for a properly balanced and healthful diet. I'm all about health and fitness so generally don't advocate for pro-anas and eating VLCDs....not really sure where you're going with this.
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ........I wanted to say something more. But I won't even tackle this one.

Long story short, depending on the composition of your body, your height, etc you may be able to eat less than 1200 a day. The 1200's general, but I wouldn't advise eating really low amounts of calories without consulting your doctor to make sure it's safe. Your body needs energy to make your heart beat, your blood pump, lungs breathe, digest food, etc.

But if you're curious go ahead. Eat 300 calories a day and see where it gets you. Or pick up a book and learn why that's bad for you.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Does there really need to be 2 threads with the exact same title both in the top 10 posts.... This issue has come up a million times. We're not just beating a dead horse here, we're taking a bazooka to it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Will your body magically hold onto fat at such a low calorie count...nope. Just won't happen. But here are things that could happen:

Problems with extremely low calorie intake (most of this stuff doesn't happen right away, but later down the road...its kind of like how some smokers end up with emphysema or lung cancer and some don't):

- Malnutrition

"Inadequate caloric intake can lead to malnutrition over time. According to MedlinePlus, malnutrition occurs when the diet does not allow the intake of a sufficient amount of nutrients. A diet with extremely low calories does not allow for adequate consumption of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants the body needs to perform its daily life processes. Vitamin deficiencies can lead to various problems, including fatigue, impaired wound healing and extreme weight loss." *1*

- Slower Metabolism (takes a while, but does happen)

"Metabolism is the rate at which the body burns fuel for energy. The basal metabolic rate is the minimum number of calories necessary to perform daily basic functions such as breathing, growth, cellular repair and digestion, according to MayoClinic.com. When calories are restricted over a long period of time, the body will compensate by holding on to the few calories that are consumed. Instead of burning calories freely, the body will perform basic life processes more slowly to conserve fuel. This can actually lead to weight gain." *1*

- Physical Changes

"A decrease in caloric intake may cause positive physical changes at first, especially in individuals with extra weight to lose. However, an extreme decrease in caloric intake can cause negative physical changes over time. Once individuals lose excess weight, calorie restriction can cause various physical problems. The Calorie Restriction Society indicates that decreasing daily calories too much can lead to reduced bone mass, fatigue, sensitivity to cold temperatures and food obsession due to extreme hunger. The CRS recommends gradual calorie reduction over a period of at least six months to avoid some of the side effects of low caloric intake." *1*

-Side Effects:

"Let’s look at some of the uncomfortable side effects of very low calorie diets:

Dry mouth
    Headache
    Dizziness
    Fatigue and weakness
    Cold intolerance
    Dry skin and nails
    Menstrual irregularities in women
    Hair loss
    Constipation/diarrhoea
    Irritability and confusion
    Inability to concentrate
    Muscle breakdown
    Problems with nerve and muscle function due to an imbalance in minerals and electrolytes
    Conditions such as osteoporosis, anaemia, gout, gallstones, clinical depression, heart problems, renal failure, and liver disease" *2*

References:
    *1*
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/277053-what-are-the-dangers-of-low-caloric-intake/
    *2*
    http://www.dietriffic.com/2009/05/14/very-low-calorie-diet/

You decide if you want to take the risk of permanent health problems. For me, well I'll take slower weight loss eating at a moderate deficit.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yes as in your body will hang on to fat while eating a deprivation. No as in if I go to long with out eating I want to eat everything in site :D
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Please don't feed the troll...
  • PeanutButterByTheSpoon
    Options
    Please don't feed the troll...
    What are you talking about? I was just asking a question?
  • PeanutButterByTheSpoon
    Options
    Oh and to the responders don't worry I am not gonna eat 300 calories a day. I was just curious on weather it's true or not! Because this is what I think from what you said and what I think. Will your body go into starvation mode (holding on to your fat and not lose weight) no, but is it unhealthy, yes!
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Does there really need to be 2 threads with the exact same title both in the top 10 posts.... This issue has come up a million times. We're not just beating a dead horse here, we're taking a bazooka to it.

Here's an idea... skip past the posting. I don't think anyone is forcing you to read it. Just don't waste your time. I skip over a ton of messages that just don't appeal to me.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You remind me of another profile, nutellabythespoonful (or something like that)