Fiber supplement question

Options
elphie754
elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
I am starting to take a fiber supplement but little confused on the wording in the dose section. They are capsules (because I can't stand the taste of powder). The package says the serving size is 6 capsules taken 1-3 times a day. Does this mean you should take 6-18 of them a day or take 6 and spread them throughout the day? Sorry if this seems obvious but the wording on the package really does suck lol.

Just adding this since I know someone will say it: yes I actually do need them and my dr is the one that reccomended taking them (to lower cholesterol and eat enough fiber). I have severe food allergies (anaphylaxis) to wheat, barley, oat and gluten, so simply eating more grains or whole wheat is not an option.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    How much fiber does each capsule provide?
  • elphie754
    Options
    Each capsule has .52g psyllium husk.
  • ALittleHazey
    Options
    What brand?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a total of 18 a day, a lot of vitamins and supplements require you take several horsepills at a time.
  • elphie754
    Options
    It is a riteaid generic brand (since they can confirm it is gluten free and not manufactured on equipment that processes things I'm allergic to whereas other companies could not).
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    this means take 6 before breakfast, 6 before lunch and 6 before dinner (if needed)
  • 126siany
    Options
    If it's this one, http://shop.riteaid.com/Rite-Aid-Pharmacy-Capsules-capsules/dp/B001KYNV92#.U8xGZfldVic , it says one serving contains 2.4g of soluble fiber. So one "serving" would be 6 capsules.

Says it can be taken a maximum of 3 times a day.

I'd ask your doctor how much he wants you to take.

I don't envy you--that sounds like no fun at all.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Thank you every one. I will add that question to list of them that I am calling about tomorrow lol. For now I think I will just stick with the 6 until I see what doctor recommends. I can always go up if needed.
  • 126siany
    Options
    Even if your doctor does want you to take 18, probably going to want to build up to that! A sudden increase in fiber can do some unpleasant things. :laugh: