Maintenance calorie goal

Options
I just found out I'm pregnant, so I switched my calorie goal to maintenance. (There's no need for me to gain weight this early in pregnancy.) I haven't been logging 100% for a while. Just wondering if everyone that's on maintenance has found that the calorie goal is correct for you. I understand everyone is different and it takes a little adjusting, but for the most part is it close?

Replies

• myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have found MFP calculated target to be close enough to start monitoring. Then tweaked my goal depending on what happened after two weeks of tight logging.

Congratulations! Ginger/ginger-ale helps with nausea but I've no idea if that is good babyfood.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I just found out I'm pregnant, so I switched my calorie goal to maintenance. (There's no need for me to gain weight this early in pregnancy.) I haven't been logging 100% for a while. Just wondering if everyone that's on maintenance has found that the calorie goal is correct for you. I understand everyone is different and it takes a little adjusting, but for the most part is it close?

It's about 300 cals too low for me!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's about 300 cals too high for me. :angry:

Which was the same as when I was losing weight. So OP - did MFP's calorie recommendation during your weight loss accurate in the rate at which you lost weight?

Congratulations BTW!!:flowerforyou:
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Did you start vitamins, folate and whatnot? An ounce of prevention
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Pretty spot on for me
  • traceleann
    traceleann Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Did you start vitamins, folate and whatnot? An ounce of prevention

Yes I have been taking my vitamins. I just found out last week and I'm VERY early. Just about 4-5 weeks right now.
    This will be my second baby. No nausea so far. My first pregnancy I was sick literally from 6 weeks until the day I had him. Hopefully it won't be as bad this time!
    Thanks everyone!
  • keishakylejohnson
    keishakylejohnson Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    First off let me say CONGRATSSSS!!! I recently found out I was pregnant as well and my new goal is right at about 1700 calories a day :) So many people are under the common misconception that just because you’re pregnant you’re "eating for two" and that's just not the case. I talked with my OBGYN and he said in the 1st trimester to only eat 150 extra calories a day, in the 2nd add 300 extra calories, and in the 3rd about 450 extra. Talk with your Doctor and see what health guidelines you should be trying to meet for your height and weight. Congrats again!