Fell off the wagon

Options
I have been eating healthy and exercising regularly for almost a month now. However, today I had a strong craving for Oreo cookies and I caved in and ate 14 of them. How much did this sabotage my weight loss efforts?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Lets see, if your set to lose 1lb a week that is a 3500 calorie deficit.
    2 Double Stuff Oreos are approx 140 cals **not sure if you had double stuff or regular...going with double because it is higher cal**
    7*140 = 980 calories

Providing you haven't eaten over your calories any other day of the week and the oreo's were eaten after your calorie goal was met for the day, then your looking at:
    3500 - 980 = 2520 or 0.72lbs lost for the week

But that is all based on assumptions. The cookies themselves won't change your rate of loss if you stayed within your calorie budget.
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I had the regular Oreos.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    In which case the impact won't be as bad as the double stuff. But without knowing stuff like:
    - what your deficit is
    - if it put you over your daily calorie goal and by how much
    - if you were over any other days this past week

I can't really say for sure how it will effect your weight loss. I can only make guesses. Most likely it is only going to make it so you don't quite lose at the rate you selected for the week.
  • Erilynn93
    Erilynn93 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If it was only one day, I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine! I fell off the wagon on Friday and Saturday, no exercise or anything, alcohol was even involved, and I still didn't gain! I'm sure you'll be fine, especially since you've been doing so well for an entire month!
  • Scienceteacher42
    Scienceteacher42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think the point is to make sure you log them. It will help you see your trend and it will help you maybe next time, only eat 10. An occasional slide is not going to hurt your goals, it is only if it causes you to give up on yourself that it will impact your change in habits. You need to be in this for the long haul, don't give up over 14 cookies.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Log them. Every bite. Then pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep moving. It was an indulgence and not an insurmountable event. A couple of weeks ago I had a similar incident with a giant Hershey bar and a jar of peanut butter. It was wonderful. Haha. I just managed the next few days a little better and all was fine.
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    "You messed up your diet and you didn't exercise today - So what? You didn't ruin anything. Get back on track tomorrow. If you have one flat tire, do you slash the other three? Of course not." - Jillian Michaels
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked to find out that 2 Oreo biscuits has more calories than a Mars Bar.
    I'm not 100% sure of Shadow2Souls calculations. Although I couldn't argue as I don't think I could ever work out
    thing the way she (or he) did.
    Falling off the wagon is when you have a feast fit for a king, 14 biscuits are nothing
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    "You messed up your diet and you didn't exercise today - So what? You didn't ruin anything. Get back on track tomorrow. If you have one flat tire, do you slash the other three? Of course not." - Jillian Michaels

WELL SAID
  • Scienceteacher42
    Scienceteacher42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Those calories for oreo cookies are accurate. I used to love them, until I started logging calories, and actually compared them to other foods, per bite. One toasted marshmallow is only 25 calories, and so much more satisfying. This is the advantage of logging calories, you start seeing what your options are and you can make better choices.
  • TheNewMe99
    TheNewMe99 Posts: 24
    Options
    So you ate 14 oreos. Log them and move forward and continue to make better choices. It may effect this weeks weight lose so weigh next week. :) I don't agree with the person who talked about calorie deficit. Yes you need a deficit to lose weight however your body processes different foods differently. So the Sugar and Fat in the Oreos is not the best choice. Up your exercise for a few days and you will be fine. :)
  • Tippy05
    Tippy05 Posts: 43
    Options

WELL SAID

I like it!
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to the gym for 2 weeks after losing 4 pounds and (surprisingly) still weighed the same when I returned. Stop worrying about the small stuff. Just cut out some calories today and get some exercise to make yourself feel better. You can't gain weight from 14 oreos that you prob pooped out by now.
  • tessamess67
    Options
    my sister and I were just talking about something similar. Like you go along healthy and exercise and then one day you just eat some junk food or decided to take a day off...and then you feel bad. but you shouldn't feel bad emotionally about it. we used to feel guilty but then we started thinking about the physical aspect. After eating junk food, we feel pretty crappy physically. All slow and then kind of out of it and achy. And when we don't get enough exercise, the old bones and muscles start to get stiff. So next time you see cookies, think about how you will feel later after you ate them. is it worth feeling physically ill? I know it feels good and yummy when you are actually eating them, just think about 6 or so hours afterwards. do research on how a big load of sugar or fat, or both, taken in at one time affects the body. I am diagnosed with diabetes ( 2010) but now I have no trace of it, so I am really thoughtful about junk food. ( btw..if you get diagnosed with diabetes, then the diagnosis will stay forever even if you fix it and don't need meds anymore) So, in the future, remember how you feel physically when you fall off the wagon, then adjust how much cookie you can handle. don't feel bad about it though( emotionally) :)
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just do better next time. Also, don't eat salted caramel pretzel bites, either. :)