Dumb Question of the Day - adjusting calorie intake

Options
Good Morning -

So just wondering...

Started at 129 and am at 123 now. Do I need to readjust my weight and calorie intake on MFP? Since I was 5'2", 129 - I had 1200 calories allowed. If I'm at 5'2", 123 - do I need to adjust it (to 1100 or1000 calories) or does MFP do that or is there no need? I was wondering if the more weight you lose if you get less calories in order to lose weight....

I hope that made sense...

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I believe 1200 calries is the lowesr recommended calories. It doesn't matter what your height is.
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I guess this is bad but while I am trying to really lose weight I don't pay that 1200 calorie thing any mind... I adjust my calories manually and I adjust it according to how much weight I am losing. So I don't see anything wrong with taking it down to 1000 calories.
  • meglane
    meglane Posts: 39
    Options
    do NOT go below 1200 calories a day even with exercise. At that point your body is starving and will burn your muscle and as we all know muscle burns more calories than fat which would lower your basal metabolic rate (BMR). This is unhealthy, and puts a lot of strain on your body. Obviously the goal of this is to lose FAT, not muscle. For this reason, weight loss gets harder and slower as you reach your ideal body weight. If you do exercise you must consume those calories in food to compensate for the calories lost. It has been shown that really low intake of calories every day hurts your organs and can play a role with aging. Our bodies are very complex and need energy and nutrients to be healthy and energetic.

So hang in there and be OK with 1 lb or less loss a week. After all this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. And definitely not a race!
  • tiffsNEWlife
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that 1200 calories is the lowest you should go. No matter your weight or height. When you lose weight MFP does ask if you want re-adjust your goals. Then you can adjust if you want to lose 2 pounds or 1, or even maintain and it will adjust your calories to match your goals.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Good Morning -

So just wondering...

Started at 129 and am at 123 now. Do I need to readjust my weight and calorie intake on MFP? Since I was 5'2", 129 - I had 1200 calories allowed. If I'm at 5'2", 123 - do I need to adjust it (to 1100 or1000 calories) or does MFP do that or is there no need? I was wondering if the more weight you lose if you get less calories in order to lose weight....

I hope that made sense...

Just like Meglane said...do NOT go below 1200 calories. Your body will not be getting the nutrients it needs for normal function thus the message when you are below and you hit complete entry.
    Now as you build muscle your maintenance calories increases because your metabolism increases. You get to eat more without gaining weight when you build muscle.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change your calories, 1200 is recommended to get the nutrients you need and to keep your body out of starvation mode but I would work on increasing muscle since that will burn more calories on a day-to-day basis
  • Jbonar
    Jbonar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with that is that over time you will destroy your metabolism. Your body needs at a minimum 1200 calories just to exist. As has been said, going below that gives your body no choice but to burn lean muscle for energy. The more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn doing anything. It IS about more than just the number on the scale if you want to be healthy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    At 5"2 and 123 pounds, your BMI is 22.5. That's healthy and normal, you don't need to focus on losing more weight. If you still need to tone you should do some light cardio (it's always good for your heart) but your focus should be on strength training to tone your muscles.
  • sptsfan56
    Options
    less than 1200 calories puts the metabolism fire out, keep the fire stoked and dont go below 1200 calories
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Make sure to keep your weight updated on MFP- once you lose a certain amount (10 or 15 pounds), it will adjust your calories for you (once I lost 15, the site changed reduced my calories per day by 40), BUT like others have said, don't go below 1200 calories eaten a day. You can always excercise more if you want to earn extra calories.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    ...another thing is I would focus more on building muscle. Muscle is your metabolism and the more muscle you build the more your meatbolism increases. Not only will you burn more fat but you're weight will drop and you'll be a happier fitter you.
  • macw1_2000
    macw1_2000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - wasn't quite sure and I knew where to go for answers...

My best weight for my body frame is 107 or so. 123 I hold alot of weight in my mid-section (TUMMY) and my face actually. Few more to go and I'm fine with a little at a time....just wasn't sure whether to readjust.

Thank you!!!
  • monkey18
    Options
    Thanks for the words for motivation. its been set in my mind for so long eat less lose more. Am sure i speak for many of us, but i know this system works. just sticking to it and not seeing INSTINT results can really put a downer on things. but like you said its a life style change it should happen everyday and we will see the pounds drop off.

Thanks for your encouragement
  • monkey18
    Options
    Thank you for that comment. i never looked at it that way. Never had to struggle this much to keep in shape. GGGrrr somedays are just crazy.