Medical weight loss clinics?

Options
So I just started going to a Medical weight loss clinic and was wondering if anyone has been or is going to one as well. I have been trying to loose weight for a couple years now and I have 40 more lbs to go. I seem to be stuck in a rut and i have tried multiple things to trick my body into loosing weight again. NOW I KNOW! that not all people agree on here agree with this choice and I understand that but before anyone says something hateful about MY choice please respect that everyone takes their own path to get to their destination. I just just hoping if you have used a WLC before, how did it work for you? and if you did reach your goal how well did you maintain afterwards?

Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I hope you find the support and advice you need. I haven't used anything like that before. I've been fortunate enough to have luck with home based fitness programs and loads of online support. Do what you gotta do, to get where you want to be :)
    Best wishes!
  • ltkacz
    ltkacz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went to MWLC almost 18 years ago. I lost 70 pounds and managed to keep it off for 7 years - and then I got pregnant with my almost 12 years ago. I've tried other diets, and I have to say, last week I finally decided it's back to MWLC. It works!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Many of them use techniques that violate the guidelines to even discuss on MFP due to their extreme VLC approach.
  • emmacssmith
    emmacssmith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started last week and so far I've lost 10 pounds which is pretty great. Feel free to add me and I'll keep you posted about how it's going :)
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have been on MWLC since March. It is truly the first program that had given me great results. I have tried many other programs over the years including following the MFP recommendations. While I lost weight on all of them, it was not consistent. And never more than 30lbs before I reached never-ending plateaus and ended up giving up.

I find the low carb to be the key to what has worked for ME. Everybody is different. What works for one may not necessarily work for the next. Medi is what is working for ME! I am much healthier now. I am starting to run again. I am at my lowest weight in the last 12 years. And I am happy with what I eat. Good luck to you. Log your food, pay close attention to your carbs, and be honest with yourself. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • KimbaJL
    KimbaJL Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I joined MWL in July of 2011 and lost 65 pounds reaching my goal weight in March of 2012. I can't say enough nice things about MWL...it really worked for me. I've put 15 pounds back on and am currently trying to take them back off but I just can't afford to rejoin MWL even though I'd love to. I do work out 6 days a week which helps a lot but I also like to drink which doesn't...hehehe. I try to go by MWL program on my own though. :)
  • ltkacz
    ltkacz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So how is everyone doing on MWLC? I've been on the plan 3 weeks, and down 14 pounds. Happy dance for me!
  • Becky_Boop76
    Options
    Day #1of MWLP for me... I'm super excited!!! I've tried every diet plan, pill & program out there with not much success. I'm taking the phentermine along with the b12/mic cocktail, so far my energy level is through the roof!
  • franyee13
    franyee13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Are you all still with MWLC? If so, I created a support group!
  • morazacs1991
    morazacs1991 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also joined MWLC and 2 weeks in I'm 10 pounds down!
  • franyee13
    franyee13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also joined MWLC and 2 weeks in I'm 10 pounds down!

That is awesome!!!!

• heatheraiuto
    heatheraiuto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    can someone add me to the support group?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    What does a medical weight loss clinic do? Curious. I always thought it was a euphemism for bariatric surgery, but it sounds like something different. Diet pills?
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Many of them use techniques that violate the guidelines to even discuss on MFP due to their extreme VLC approach.

What is VLC?
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    does VLC mean Very Low Calorie?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    does VLC mean Very Low Calorie?

Yes. VLC means very low calorie or you will see VLCD which means Very low caloric diet.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    What does a medical weight loss clinic do? Curious. I always thought it was a euphemism for bariatric surgery, but it sounds like something different. Diet pills?

Or whatever the latest fad is I think, so right now they're giving B12 and/or hormone shots I think.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I don't just want to hate on those places, but I do want to share a take on these places that my current doctor (who I love) gave me. He told me that his first job out of med school was working at one of those clinics. His takeaways from that experience were:

1. Even as the medical professional on staff, he was not expected to actually intervene in "patients'" (actually, just clients') treatment. His role was very specifically circumscribed by management to make sure he wasn't in a position to contravene the advice the company wanted to give clients.
    2. Working there for two years, he actually didn't get an opportunity to learn anything about weight loss.
    3. Those places do not necessarily use scientifically-grounded medical practices. At best, they are behavioral clinics (that is, similar to Weight Watchers, but with blood tests and maybe heart tests thrown in). And that can be useful for many clients (though they'd probably save money actually using WW). But at worst, they are pushing unnecessary and often dangerous supplements and unsustainable behaviors that guarantee clients will see some results, but ultimately fail (guaranteeing a certain amount of repeat business).

Not all places are the same, but the caution I took away from that is that just because a place calls itself a "clinic" and advertises that they have doctors on staff doesn't mean it's actually professional medicine.