Sober pals?

Options
Hi. Not new to MFP, but I'm looking for more support.

I'm currently 188 days sober. I would like to lose about 20 lbs. (I don't know if it matters, I'm a 28 year old female. ) Alcohol was my drug of choice and since quitting, I've actually GAINED weight. I would love to have some pals that know what I'm going through, so we can be supportive of each other.

Thanks. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I was never an alcoholic but I haven't have alcohol since December 2011.

Congratulations on 188 days! That is great progress
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 188 days! You are doing an awesome job and gaining weight is normal but should taper off when you increase your physical activity and stay within your calorie goals. Good luck!
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sobriety! Feel free to add me. I'm also 28, female and a recovering alcoholic. What are the odds... Closing in on 11 months sober here :)
  • NeverGiveUp8513
    Options
    Thanks ladies.
  • cheetahrocker88
    Options
    Hello my name is Betsy I just got serious about letting go of weight 20 days ago , I am 26 yrs clean and sober and you are welcome to add me.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I'm going on 16 years sober. One day at a time.
  • constellation709
    constellation709 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a family member or friend who is an alcoholic and several friends in recovery. I like they way you guys do things! Keep up the good work.

I'm working on losing about 20 pounds, one day at a time.
  • Sandil964
    Sandil964 Posts: 9
    Options
    Congrats on getting close to finishing your first year in sobriety! It's a challenge indeed to get to a new state of "normal". I too am clean and sober just getting my 5yrs in June. This past year I have committed to be more healthy and improving myself physically since I seem to have my spiritual maintenance in a regular routine after working on my emotional health. First things first. I try to keep all these as simple as possible so I can make some progress on self improvement to attain and maintain better all-around health. I am still learning balance in my life. I don't want to go too far overboard on any one thing. Trying to keep things within healthy limits and boundaries. Balance has eluded my in my past, but I am getting better at it for the most part. I try to keep myself in check. Keeping the daily diary has truly brought my awareness up about what I put into my body. I don't always achieve below my daily limit, but I get back to it the following days with exercise and better food choices. I applaud you for attempting to tackle your weight so new into your recovery. I gained quite a bit in my first 2 or 3 years when I was focusing solely on my emotional and spiritual needs. I neglected to choice healthy foods at that time because food tasted so good and I was so happy just to be clean and sober. Good luck on your journey to be a better you all around. I hope that you have a strong support system in recovery to keep you in check. For me that means going to meetings, doing service work, and helping other alcoholics who still suffer. That's most of us since living a sober life is a constant challenge! :flowerforyou:
  • mrs_kalee_thompson
    mrs_kalee_thompson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I all, feel free to add me. I went downhill fast this past year with alcohol and now I am 37 days sober. I could use some motivation and support from those struggling with the same thoughts.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    Congrats on your 188 days! I am also sober.
  • Keasteregg
    Keasteregg Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I need all the motivation I can get in this area, unfortunately. . .
  • peaceful2
    peaceful2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congrats to ALL! I'm not an alcoholic but i admire each and everyone of you!! Peace and blessings
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, im sober for last 2yrs but still have pre-planned nights out where i will drink (2/3 times a year) i dont consider myself an alcoholic but i had a serious binge drinking problem that caused much of my weight gain and started to cause me other health problems
  • Ediz1987
    Ediz1987 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am sober myself. I had been doing rally good in here, lost 60 pounds then a lot of life termoils occurred and i went deep into drinking and put it all back on. Have started over.