pre and post workout drinks? (female)

Options
My boyfriend and I have started p90x together. He drinks c4 before his workouts and some whey protein after workouts. I was told to stay away from c4 as it doesnt really work well with chicks. So I was wondering what y'all could suggest.

Im looking for something to help replenish me and to help hype me up for workouts. Nothing too gnarly though. I dont want a heart attack,:embarassed:

Replies

• SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a strong black coffee or a diet energy drink, since I need the kick to get going.

After, I have a whey isolate protein shake with 5g of L-glutamine.

Really it's highly personal, if you don't feel you need anything before your workout to give you energy to boost yourself though it then you don't need anything.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    whey protein after p90x sounds like bro science

unless your workouts are hours long, super intense and you are low body fat pre and post workout supplements is a bit overkill
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    AmelieMustLoseWeight Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    whey protein after p90x sounds like bro science

unless your workouts are hours long, super intense and you are low body fat pre and post workout supplements is a bit overkill

Honestly I think he just drinks the damn stuff because it taste good.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Nah son, It's a habit I picked up years ago from "bro-science" but it's ritualistic to me now, like stretching and showering.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    Nah son, It's a habit I picked up years ago from "bro-science" but it's ritualistic to me now, like stretching and showering.

Hahaha

Seriously, If it makes you feel good then its probably working with you. Ive never felt the need to supplement before but ive never done this kind of fitness before. Im more used to running 5 miles or something. I HATE lifting so thats new to me.
    Im just trying to keep up my stamina so I can work harder.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If my last meal has been a while, which is usually the case, I tend to have a smoothie or juice (not from concentrate and definitely no added sugar) before my workouts to give me some carbs. I also tried actual fruit but smoothies or juice works better for me digestion-wise.
    Afterwards I usually have breakfast or dinner and try to then have something high in protein, depending on if I workout in the morning or afternoon. If I workout more between meal times or if the meal is lower in protein, I have a chocolate protein shake (semi-skinned milk, protein powder, cocoa, sugar). I lift, though, so not sure if that would be necessary after cardio as well.
  • Berry2084
    Berry2084 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not much of an expert on these things I tend not to have anything pre workout maybe a banana if it's been a while since i ate. Post workout try to eat a high protein meal, chicken, fish or eggs. If I'm in a rush will just have a chocolate milk has protein from the milk some nutrients and it tastes nice. I don't feel I work out long enough to warrant a protein shake but everyones different.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea/coffee before my workouts (with a snack, usually a banana with PB) and water after with my breakfast.

I never drink my whey protein (vanilla flavour), I use it to make desserts replacing flour with the protein powder, that way I have protein desserts/snacks that are more filling than the regular stuff.
  • justisroyster
    justisroyster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I drink lean1 for breakfast sometimes if I don't have a meal and lean 15 for in between snack. They worked for me with weight loss, toning, and energy. I wouldn't lie to you. Just try stuff out until you find what's best for you. In addition, I take beachbody activit as a supplement.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why were you told to stay away from C4? I've used it on occasion with no adverse effects. If you do decide to try it, I would recommend starting with a half scoop to see what it does.

Many of these pre-workout supplements contain caffeine as an ingredient, so you could get the same effect drinking coffee or soda.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why were you told to stay away from C4? I've used it on occasion with no adverse effects. If you do decide to try it, I would recommend starting with a half scoop to see what it does.

Many of these pre-workout supplements contain caffeine as an ingredient, so you could get the same effect drinking coffee or soda.
    I was told it causes a spike in high testosterone and doesn't work well with women for that reason. idk it works for you?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Men and women are not that different. Anything he uses you can use. I have never heard of C4 spiking testosterone and if it did it would probably not be on the market. Testosterone isn't the devil and you aren't going to get ripped muscles doing P90X even if it did cause an increase in testosterone.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm an AM exerciser. my pre-workout drink is coffee. my post-workout drink is water.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have been using Power Crunch Bars pre-workout and Muscle Milk Post workout
  • mandos_13
    mandos_13 Posts: 21
    Options
    My dance classes are typically in the range of 6pm-9pm, which is prime dinner eating time for me. So to make it through class I usually make a shake with part chocolate soy milk/part skim milk (I use the chocolate soy milk because I like the flavor, chocolate cow milk would be fine too), oatmeal, frozen banana slices, and peanut butter. It's fairly high calorie but it's basically a dinner replacement, then I have something light like veggies in cottage cheese after class.

If class starts late enough and I can eat early enough, I'll just have a proper dinner and maybe a little snack (anything really) after if I have any calories left and feel hungry.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I workout at 6 am, so I prefer coffee for my pre-workout, and real food for my post-workout. Typically a yogurt, or a Quest Bar once I get to the office.